Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

per: PFT Skins Sign Larry Johnson to a three yr. deal

cmoskins80

If nothing else, people should at least be curious what Shanahan can bring out in Larry Johnson AND CP. The new regime obviously had something like this in mind when they jettisoned Rock and Ladell right off.

The upside is huge, the contract is decent and LJ grew up a Skins fan. No plan is perfect, but at least these folks have one.

Nice signing by the Skins. LJ will be a solid #2 back.

I totally agree. Great signing cause lets face it he is/was better than any second back we had last year. Much better than Betts, Rock, Mason... all of them. Plus he hasn't played much recently so his legs should be fresh. Considering his role will most likely be to spell Portis or maybe even get carries down inside the 10 yardline, this is a great signing.

Ganther is a UFA who they probably won't resign in addition to the team letting Betts, Mason, EWilliams and Cartwright go.

Current RBs on the squad are:

-Portis (starter 1a)

-Johnson (starter 1b)

-Alridge (3rd down/kick-returner)

-PJ Hill (short-yardage banger & ST)

I think all of them will make the roster - Shanny might not draft a RB this year, since we have all the angles covered with the position now, and we have a lot of other needs. He might just bring in a few UDFAs after the draft for camp fodder/potential depth. (Just a guess on my part)

I'm curious to see what PJ Hill does in training camp. He was a monster at Wisconsin - no need to draft a guy like Legarette Blount with this guy on the roster IMO:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1321

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2009pjhill.php

Thanks for clearing that up! I had no idea about the PJ Hill pickup. Shows you how under-the-radar we've been flying. Lots more going on than what we're hearing up front.

Can't wait to see how it all shakes out!

Thanks for clearing that up! I had no idea about the PJ Hill pickup. Show you how under-the-radar we've been flying. Lots more is going on than what we're hearing up front.

Can't wait to see how it all shakes out!

him and aldridge were part of our futures contracts.

I said the same thing in another thread about this, and I'll say it here.

I personally like this signing quiet a bit, more than I liked the Parker idea, which I was totally unsure about. He can actually push for extra yards, I could see this as a way for us to get CP to lose some weight to go back to being more of the shifty style runner he was in Denver, and LJ can be the short yardage, goal line back. No matter how much you might like Betts he was TERRIBLE on the goalline and in short yardage, he ran like a featherweight half the time.

Also I think it's a great contract.

Well, for those who were freaking out about the Redskins' lack of movement in the FA, you can relax. The Skins just signed a big name player who is past his prime to a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract.

Things are back to normal.

1 mil a year + incentives is hardly back to normal.

I think we have problems Shanny only played a little football in college LJ might have a problem with that

:ols::ols:

At the same time, a well-respected coach like Shanahan might be what it takes to keep him in line. Along with playing for his childhood-favorite team, and competing with Clinton, pushing each other, this is a low-risk/high-reward type signing. Just like the Kemoeatu signing. I like the new FO philosophy.

This is a low risk, high reward move.

If he doesn't do anything, we're only paying him $1M a year. If he acts up, Shanny will have no problem cutting him.

But I think he will show Shanny respect. And he may have something left in the tank.

This is how you build depth when you don't have draft picks... you bring in experienced vets who still have some tread on the tires and give them incentive laden contracts.

Could be a great signing, won't be a terrible one.

LJ doesn't seem like a guy that I'd like personally. He doesn't seem like he'd be a good influence in the locker room too, so hopefully he can at least play.

I think he can do well replacing Portis as our #1 RB.

Yeah, he's really been burning up the field these last two years.

He is a powerful running back. I have no idea why he is considered PAST his prime. His personal problems aside, he is healthy and perhaps can give the Skins one if not 2 solid John Riggins types of years. Plus this puts pressure on Clinton Portis now to return to his glory years or be cut or sit on the bench.

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

I guess we now know what coach meant when he said he is sure Portis is gonna show up for workouts haha.

Also for those saying Johnson is past his prime so he's useless, just look at how fast Cedric Benson got back in the lineup from injury once Johnson ripped off 107 yds in relief duty and 4.9 avg vs. Browns. Old guys don't shred poor defenses, just look at Ladanian this past season.

I'm down with this signing. Now I'd like to see who scat back will be for the 3 headed monster we're trying to build.

Would like a low round draft pick or a UDFA. Willie Parker would be beautiful overkill. :D

Exactly, and with this staff they will actually use all three in meaningful snaps/games.

Doesn't really matter the age of Portis/Johnson/Scat because none will have a ton of carries.

how is this any different from the Vikings looking to add Tomlinson as a backup for Peterson?

how is this any different from Jake Delhomme setting up visits with teams to be a veteran backup?

what fantasy?

no one is expecting Johnson to rush for 1,500 yards and 15 touchdowns.

what Shanahan is expecting is to use Portis and Johnson to team up in 2010 and perhaps produce those kinds of numbers TOGETHER.

it's not Shanahan's fault that Portis is already owed $6.4M by the club in 2010 or that the only on roster choices in January were Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright and Quinton Ganther.

For those of you who think $1m a year is too much for Larry Johnson, here are the numbers for what Ladell Betts was scheduled to make from the Redskins had we kept him. Thanks Vinny.

L. Betts Salary Prior to Release

2010: $2.7m

2011: $1.8m

2012: $1.7m

2013: $1.7m

Larry Johnson gets a $1m a year for 3 years. Great move if you ask me, considering LJ is actually BETTER than Betts.

Archived