Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Carter addresses new position, scheme

themurf

carter111509.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Normally, this is time of year when the Washington Redskins reign supreme. Wins might be hard to come by once actual games are played, but the offseason is when the Redskins take center stage.

But a funny thing happened this year. Since the dynamic duo of coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen took over, Redskins Park has become a ghost town. Big name free agents have become an afterthought and the people who follow this team are left to adjust to a new way of life.

Since things have been so quiet, we decided to reach out to our old friend Andre Carter, the defensive end who tied for the team lead with 11 sacks last season, to see how the offseason is treating him and to get his reaction on the sudden inactivity in Ashburn.

Okay, so where are you and how are you?

“I’m back in California,” Carter said. “I was in Virginia for a hot second because my wife and I bought a home in SoCal, so we were there to pack some stuff up. Now we’re out here trying to get situated, so we’re staying pretty busy.”

So basically, you’re saying you want out of D.C. and you no longer want to be a member of the Washington Redskins …

(Laughs.) “Nah, nah, nah, man. I’m still a Redskin,” he said. “Well, I think so.”

That’s one of the reasons we wanted to contact you. It seems like every time we come across an article mentioning your name, the writer is asking if you have a place in the new defense. Are you paying attention to all of this?

“My agent mentioned the article to me earlier,” Carter said. “I don’t think Jason Reid was trying to cause any controversy or anything of that nature. I think, based upon my history of transitioning from a defensive end to a linebacker back in 2005, he knows my work ethic, but at the same time, he knows what I do best. I’m just taking everything in stride. If that’s something the team wants me to do, then I’m going to do it.

I’ll go out and give it my best,” he continued. “Now, will I be the best linebacker? I’ll say this – I’ll be the best linebacker I can be. I know this is a business, but I’m also optimistic. I’ll take on whatever they ask of me and I’m going to be a professional about it. I’m not going to mope around and feel sorry for myself.”

Everyone keeps going back to your time with the San Francisco 49ers when they transitioned to a 3-4 defense and then you ended up leaving in free agency. Can you explain what happened and what that experience was like?

“Sure. They switched to a 3-4 defense and everything, as far as assignments and techniques, was like nothing I had ever been through before playing defensive end,” Carter said. “The scheme they were going for was a lot like the Baltimore Ravens style of defense. When it came to blitzing and things like that, I was lined up on the number-two slot. We would have two people lined up on the outside – myself and a cornerback. So, as I was coming towards the quarterback, the running back would scan out to protect. As a defensive end, I would naturally go in and then cut out or go out and then cut back in. I usually had the option. But now, as a linebacker, I always had to go inside, which was an adjustment.

“Now, I’ve talked with Coach [Jim] Haslett and I understand that this 3-4 scheme is nothing like that Baltimore Ravens scheme and what I experienced in 2005,” he continued. “For me, the most difficult part of that experience was coverage. Back then I had to cover the tight end man to man, and that was an experience. I learned how to do it as the season went on, but man, talk about getting your butt whooped. I’d also there were times when I had to line up on the number-two receivers when they were lined up in the slot. That was different.

“We played a cover-2, so I had to jam him at the line of scrimmage,” Carter said. “You learn little stuff like how to work your hips a certain way, because if I don’t flip them, he’s going to beat me deep. Yeah, there were times I learned that the hard way. (Laughs.) But I never complained and I always put in the work. Towards the end of the year, they switched the scheme up a little and I worked more with the defensive linemen. But that experience was kind of tough because I had been a defensive end my whole life.”

You mentioned you’ve talked with Haslett. How did that conversation go and what did he say as far as his plans for you?

Click here for full article.

Well Done! This was the article I was waiting for. Those were great questions and a great dialogue. The rapport you two had was wonderful.

There has been so much speculation about AC's role and it was good to hear his take on it.

:helmet:The Rook

I don't think there was ever a question about his work ethic, but clearly he does not feel that he is a good fit at the LB spot.

History is a good indicator of that, also. Sounds like the D Haslett will run is nothing like what Carter experienced in San Francisco, though.

If we have a player that could fetch us a 3rd or 4th round draft pick that we could afford to lose then Carters it. Carters a pretty good 4-3 linemen but he's going to suck in the 3-4. Linemen are always wanted and a guy who gets double diget sack numbers are wanted by most teams. I really like Carter but we should move on from him and get what we can for him.

Excellent Article! :point2sky

So much insight and passion with the words he chose to use. You can tell that he's an honorable man with an unsettled outlook on our franchise. And to that fact he certainly should be unsettled..

We are experiencing BIG changes here. Switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 when we already have a top ten defense and gaping holes on offense is mind boggling to me. But if I were a coach and it was my show I'd implement my own scheme too and worry about the consequences later. We also cut alot of players who in my opinion were 2nd tier talent guys but those were our leaders on the team. What does that say about an organization when our leaders are backups? Our so called stars are the ones that need a wake up call or need to be gutted. Its time for them to step up and lead our young stars. Frankly some I believe just dont have it in their heart to lead. Portis, Moss, Rogers, they all need to get out of town. The only ones I see attempting to build the team up and lead are players like JC, Fletch, and D. Hall. Carter's right, he needs to take on a bigger leadership role now that most of our leaders are gone. He may be out of position (something I truly hate by switching to a 3-4) but he's one of the last leaders we have on this team. The missing ingredient to our success has always been getting players in here that want to play as a team. Unless we address that we will never be a serious contender for a title.

Speaking of the draft, what would you do with the fourth pick in the draft?

“We need offensive linemen,” Carter said. “With the loss of Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas, we need some more young and hungry guys to step in for us.

Also that he'll be playing LOLB isn't a big surprise and if history holds up with how the previous LOLB in his system played, I'll be happy.

For the 3 years that Haslett was the DC in Pitt, they had an LOLB by the name of Jason Gildon.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GildJa00.htm

Similarly built to Carter, he had 24.5 sacks and 125 tackles in 3 years with Haslett.

Good stuff Murf. But I wonder if he bought the new house on the West Coast before or after he waived something he previously had. Hmmmm....

So are we looking to acquire a player or a pick for him? Has anyone expressed interest in him yet?

Great article Murf - it's a wonder why Jason Reid couldn't have tried to initiate an interview of this quality before writing his speculative article.

Seems like he is not even that sure he will be here next year.

I still don't understand why Carolina hasn't already traded for Carter. They need a defensive end to replace Peppers 10.5 sacks and Carter has 11. Its a natural fit. Hope Shanny and Allen are talking to them. A 3rd round pick would be nice.

Seems like he is not even that sure he will be here next year.

http://twitter.com/Russellmania09

In speaking with Andre Carter via text back and forth, you know this is ripping him up. He's trying, but he was not happy about 3-4 EARLY on

#Redskins DE/OLB Andre Carter simply said about the rumors that he wanted to be traded "No comment" which is pretty telling in my mind.

From #Redskins DE/OLB Andre Carter "Right now, I'm still under contract with the #Redskins and plan to attend minicamp (OTA's)." on trade?

BTW - really enjoyed the article. Lots of good insight in to the D plans.

Journalism at its finest. Well done... you asked exactly what needed to be asked and what your viewership is most interested in!

Thanks man! You can definitely tell Carter is a little, I don't know, unsure about all this. But just a little. I love his drive in the end and the willingness to do what it takes.

Wow, I have a deep feeling of unsettling in my gut after reading this interview. It's unfortunate to have him and RAK playing as linebackers, but obviously they aren't big enough to play as ends in a 3-4 system.

He is going to be playing completely out of position, and I'm not to sold on Jim Haslett, he doesn't have a stellar resume per se, but eh who knows.

That was a great read. Thanks for your hard work.

I really like Carter and I think that he can be a huge part of this defense. The fact that we didn't release him along with the rest of veterans that got the axe, tells me that the new FO has plans for him and I don't think that he will be going anywhere. Thank goodness.

Nice article. It's good to hear Carter's side from him. I like him alot and think he is the attitude type player we need. That being said, it seems to me that he doesn't fit as a 3-4 D-end or Lolb... He is coming off of an 11 sack season and his value is as high as it is going to be as a Redskin. This year if he stays, he probably won't have 11 sacks and he'll be a year older... Better to get rid of players a year early than a year late... That's hard to write because I like this guy but it is what it is.

http://twitter.com/Russellmania09

In speaking with Andre Carter via text back and forth, you know this is ripping him up. He's trying, but he was not happy about 3-4 EARLY on

#Redskins DE/OLB Andre Carter simply said about the rumors that he wanted to be traded "No comment" which is pretty telling in my mind.

From #Redskins DE/OLB Andre Carter "Right now, I'm still under contract with the #Redskins and plan to attend minicamp (OTA's)." on trade?

What in the name of Starfish tuna is going on with AC? Especially when asked if the rumors that he wanted to be traded were true, he replied no comment..

I still don't understand why Carolina hasn't already traded for Carter. They need a defensive end to replace Peppers 10.5 sacks and Carter has 11. Its a natural fit. Hope Shanny and Allen are talking to them. A 3rd round pick would be nice.

I am sure some teams feel he cannot perform at that level without a monster DT like he had in Haynesworth here last year.

He did have 2 other double digit sack seasons but all his other seasons were 6.5 or less.

Archived