Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Carter addresses new position, scheme

themurf

What in the name of Starfish tuna is going on with AC? Especially when asked if the rumors that he wanted to be traded were true, he replied no comment..

I don't know and maybe Chris Russell is just trying to stir the pot but he posted another controversial blog this morning. I guess the media guys are ticked about the lack of information. It doesn't jive with the thread story.

http://1067thefandc.radio.com/2010/03/12/another-unhappy-skin/

Another Unhappy ‘Skin

Chris Russell

It turns out that Carlos Rogers and Albert Haynesworth are not the only Redskins defenders that are unhappy campers with the new regime and/or the new scheme.

One of the most likeable players in the NFL, a guy you can’t help but root for, and a true ‘good guy’ as voted on by the Redskins media; Andre Carter might be on his way out of Washington.

According to a report by the NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora, the veteran defensive end is “very open to a change of scenery.”

When you cover a professional sports team, you are privy to a lot of information that you can say publicly and even more that you are NOT allowed to use, and while I can’t confirm or deny what La Canfora is reporting — I can say that Andre Carter is mentally struggling with every aspect of the switch from defensive end to outside linebacker.

When I reached out via text on Thursday night to Carter, I asked if he wanted me to say anything on his behalf to dispute the La Canfora report or had he reached a point in his mind where he wanted to leave Washington. As part of his response, he simply said “As for the trade, no comment.”

Click on the link to read the entire article

It's clear he's not happy... But what I do like about this situation is that he's pretty much been nothing but class during this whole ordeal. You can say what you want, but he's definitely got a professional, classy attitude.

“We need offensive linemen,” Carter said. “With the loss of Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas, we need some more young and hungry guys to step in for us. I always enjoy watching the draft. I try to tune in for the first two or three rounds, so it’ll be interesting to see what they decide.”

Great article!! This stuck out to me... This should tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about our draft position and the direction we should go. I agree 100%

I don't know and maybe Chris Russell is just trying to stir the pot but he posted another controversial blog this morning. I guess the media guys are ticked about the lack of information. It doesn't jive with the thread story.

According to a report by the NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora, the veteran defensive end is “very open to a change of scenery.”

When you cover a professional sports team, you are privy to a lot of information that you can say publicly and even more that you are NOT allowed to use, and while I can’t confirm or deny what La Canfora is reporting — I can say that Andre Carter is mentally struggling with every aspect of the switch from defensive end to outside linebacker.

I just read the newest interview/article and I'm trying to understand why the hell everyone on D(if you believe reports )is so damn unhappy? I'm starting to get sick of the bellyaching already. You guys were 4-12 last year YOU ALL KNEW CHANGE was inevitable.

I just read the newest interview/article and I'm trying to understand why the hell everyone on D(if you believe reports )is so damn unhappy? I'm starting to get sick of the bellyaching already. You guys were 4-12 last year YOU ALL KNEW CHANGE was inevitable.

Well, when potentially you don't have a spot on the defense through no fault of your own, you are going to be apprehensive. While I expect change, the change to a 3-4 seems somewhat arbitrary and it is going to leave some people out in the cold.

He doesn't sound excited for a change to 3-4, but he also made it pretty clear that his least favorite part was covering the TE, and Haslett said that wouldn't be a major responsibility for him.

Hopefully things work out, he's one of the hardest workers on our team, it would be a shame to lose the guy. Shanahan wanted him previously, and I'm sure Haslett can find a way to use him. Let's hope.

Carter seems like a great guy. I don't want to see him playing LB and I know he doesn't but I am glad that he is all about working together as a team no matter what position.

we need more guys on the team like this....guys who want to be professional and do the best they can. I'm glad to see Carter not whining or demanding a trade or anything like that. But because he is such a good guy if I were in the FO and he asked for a trade I would honor it and I would not make a big deal out of it.

Personally I hope Carter's here next season and is able to find a role where he can succeed with us.

Good article.

I have a question. Haslett keeps telling everyone what this defense is NOT going to be. It is not going to be San Francisco, it is not going to be Baltimore, etc. I have read other articles where they comment on what we will NOT be. What I want to know is, then what?? Who are we similiar to? Or is he creating his own defense from the ground up?

First of all, thanks for all the kind words. Tons of you have gone out of your way to say nice things and for that, I thank you.

Now, about Mr. Carter. As you can probably tell from reading this article, I have a pretty good relationship with Carter. He knows who I am and has always been kind enough to work with me when I drop him a line for an article. Dude is first class all the way.

I've seen others out there have written stuff about Carter since my article went up, and that's fine. But I will tell you that what some other folks are saying and what I took away from my conversation with Carter are two different stories. I asked him point blank about his no-trade clause and he told me he has a full no-trade clause and that no one from management had contacted him about it.

He wants to be a Redskins. He is preparing as if he will still be a member of the Redskins. Some folks on here read me busting Carter's chops about the move and apparently took my comments to be serious. Let me be clear - Carter told me that he and his wife were planning to move before the season ended. When I ran into him and his wife in San Diego they talked about it again. There's no hidden meaning to him moving other than he and his wife wanted to own a house in Southern California.

And while he was completely honest with me about some of the struggles he encountered in 2005 when the 49ers ran a 3-4 defense, he is also encouraged after having a chance to talk with new Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. As he said in the article, his understanding is that Haslett plans to use him completely differently than San Francisco did.

I figured I should swing in here and provide a little clarification on everything, since this topic is obviously a pretty big one in the eyes of 'Skins fans.

Great interview Murph, reads like friends talking. Nice we get clarification too.

Personally I'm happy to keep AC a Redskin till he retires. If he had a trade option to a team who are contending now I'd be happy with a trade too. Prefer to keep him though, he's gonna be good for years yet production wise as well as a good person to have around (anywhere, not just a football team, going by the interviews Murph gets).

Great Q &A! At worst, Carter's situation will be that of Kampman from G.B! A player with a long history of success in the inferior 4-3 system (my opinion only of course), switches to the superior 3-4 system (again, my opinion) but doesn't really work out for him but the team Defense as a whole improves dramatically. We will finally be able to start causing some turnovers and be a fierce D. If Carter is a casualty, so be it. HTTR!

Archived