Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Vick Selected For Ed Block Courage Award

Rocky21

In today's Mark maske's NFL Blog

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2010/03/vick-given-award.html

Also from the Eagles website

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=19823

The Philadelphia Eagles today announced that QB Michael Vick has been named the team's Ed Block Courage Award recipient of 2009.

Each year, the Ed Block Courage Award honors those National Football League players who exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. They are selected in a vote by their teammates for team effort as well as individual performance.

I liked one of the posted comments on the Eagles site- When you hold up Michael Vick and tell everybody, "this is the best we have", sadly you are telling the world a whole lot about your organization

So, if I break the law, not a simple traffic infraction but something that gives me prison time, I'll get my job back and get an award for doing what I should've been doing all along? Sign me up.

exactly. end of thread

Not sure why so many have a problem with this. The guy has worked hard to get his life back in order after a royal screw up. Yes, he is doing what he should have been all along but its much more noticeable from a guy who messed up so bad in the first place. I think its great to give guys encouragement and recognition who need it the most.

Not sure why so many have a problem with this. The guy has worked hard to get his life back in order after a royal screw up. Yes, he is doing what he should have been all along but its much more noticeable from a guy who messed up so bad in the first place. I think its great to give guys encouragement and recognition who need it the most.

This makes sense. Society SHOULD reward those who successfully redeem themselves from disgrace.

This makes sense. Society SHOULD reward those who successfully redeem themselves from disgrace.

I know you are being sarcastic but people who have slipped in their lives are the ones that need the most support to stay on track. Most of us do the things we are supposed to do because we are supposed to do them. We do not do them for reward or recognition. Guys who have messed up clearly lost that sense of responsibility somewhere along the line. If they regain it, we should encourage them so that they have a better chance of not losing it again. We want them to know that we appreciate them doing the right thing and we do not appreciate when they do not. Some people just flat out need that encouragement and recognition.

I know you are being sarcastic but people who have slipped in their lives are the ones that need the most support to stay on track. Most of us do the things we are supposed to do because we are supposed to do them. We do not do them for reward or recognition. Guys who have messed up clearly lost that sense of responsibility somewhere along the line. If they regain it, we should encourage them so that they have a better chance of not losing it again. We want them to know that we appreciate them doing the right thing and we do not appreciate when they do not. Some people just flat out need that encouragement and recognition.

I wasn't being sarcastic

I heard Vick is going to go back on the "Gangsta Grillz Radio Show" to accept his award.

What a joke. The guy is a piece of human garbage and I have no doubt in my mind that he has no remorse about what he did.

The guy is no more of decent human being than Marcus Vick - he just happens to be more talented at football.

I'm going to go get arrested for drug trafficking, "reform" myself in jail, and expect you all to shower me with gifts when I come back.

M'kay?

Have you ever tried to help someone who has messed their life up through drugs or crime or anything similar? Do you know how it is to break a cycle like that when its all you have known your entire life? You have to show them you appreciate when they do the right thing rather than slip back into old habits. They need to make an effort but you need to show them you appreciate the effort they are making.

This reminds me of a story from back in my Army days. A Private in my battalion couldn't pass his PT test (not only was he WAY over his approved weight/body fat standards, but PHYSICALLY couldn't pass the PT test). Well, about 6 months later, he was able to finally pass it. He got a freaking AAM (Army Achievement Medal). Meanwhile, everyone else ALWAYS passed their PT Tests. When a team/organization/nation start awarding people for doing what is expected of them, it shows how low the standards have fallen.

This reminds me of a story from back in my Army days. A Private in my battalion couldn't pass his PT test (not only was he WAY over his approved weight/body fat standards, but PHYSICALLY couldn't pass the PT test). Well, about 6 months later, he was able to finally pass it. He got a freaking AAM (Army Achievement Medal). Meanwhile, everyone else ALWAYS passed their PT Tests. When a team/organization/nation start awarding people for doing what is expected of them, it shows how low the standards have fallen.
Fallen standards should be the new motto of the Philadelphis Eagles organization.

How was Vick selected based on team effort and individual performance?

He was a quarterback who completed 6 passes last year. What a sham.

Its harder for some people to meet expectations especially in the army. Some people are not as physically fit. They have a lot more to overcome to just be like everyone else. What about someone that comes from a lower income family living in a neighborhood where drugs and crime are prevalent but comes out with a college degree and makes a better life for themselves? Plenty of people do that like its nothing, but its a lot harder for that person and I personally believe they should be recognized to show others in similar situations that would rather just give up that it can be done. Guess its a difference of opinion.

Have you ever tried to help someone who has messed their life up through drugs or crime or anything similar? Do you know how it is to break a cycle like that when its all you have known your entire life? You have to show them you appreciate when they do the right thing rather than slip back into old habits. They need to make an effort but you need to show them you appreciate the effort they are making.

How is not torturing and murdering animals making an effort? That should be a given, as it is for billions of people.

With that logic we should give rapists and child-killers awards after their probation period after getting out of jail, if they can courageously manage to not rape people and kill children anymore. What an amazing effort!

The guy ran a freaking dog killing ring - and the only remorse he has was that he got caught, lost his money and ruined his fun killing dogs and watching dogs rip each other to shreds.

If he had stopped all this on his own - maybe while holding one of the dogs underwater and hearing it yelp and struggle to live.. and that was the moment he stopped, realized he was a walking zero and turned himself in and ceased all a-hole-ish behavior - then I would say he was guy worthy of redemption.

But no - he was ratted out... lied to everyone... denied everything...

He is among the lowest rat ****s on the planet.

Screw him and the Eagles and the NFL for giving him this award.

The guy ran a freaking dog killing ring - and the only remorse he has was that he got caught, lost his money and ruined his fun killing dogs and watching dogs rip each other to shreds.

If he had stopped all this on his own - maybe while holding one of the dogs underwater and hearing it yelp and struggle to live.. and that was the moment he stopped, realized he was a walking zero and turned himself in and ceased all a-hole-ish behavior - then I would say he was guy worthy of redemption.

But no - he was ratted out... lied to everyone... denied everything...

He is among the lowest rat ****s on the planet.

Screw him and the Eagles and the NFL for giving him this award.

The bolded portion pretty much sums it up for more as well. Mike Vick is a despicable human being.

Archived