Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who will you miss more? Ex-wizards, or ex-skins?

ThePreciating

I am conflicted about this, because I have no idea why I feel this way. But I know I will always have a soft spot for the big 3 (Jamison, Butler, Arenas). They're still in my top 10 favorite players in the league.

However, Randle El, Cartwright, Betts, Griffin, Randy Thomas - core Skins - I won't miss as much.

How do you guys feel - who will you miss more?

Mods - feel free to move this if this isn't a good place.

I have to care about basketball first, which it's hard for me to do. Even when the big three were at their uninjured peak and I was watching more games, I still had a difficult time really getting into it. And I was at a couple of their home playoff games screaming with everyone else. (LeBron traveled at the end of game 3, no question)

I think I got really turned off to the NBA around the time the Miami Heat won the championship, when the league appeared to be trending towards one player careening out of control to the basket, flipping up a prayer, and drawing a foul while everyone else cleared out of the way. It wasn't just Dwyane Wade, it seemed like that was happening on many teams, ours included.

I enjoyed watching the Suns play offense, but they played no defense. I enjoyed Tim Duncan's all-around game, but the Spurs were a pretty boring team to watch, especially if they were playing the Knicks or someone similar and you could expect an 84-78 game.

Anyway, I digress. I'll miss Butler and Jamison, more Butler than anything, but I have a real hard time caring about the Wizards much. I still watch occasionally, but they might need an Ovechkin level player to get me re-interested. It would also help if they learned to pass and play as a team.

Don't care about basketball in the least. I couldn't even name two current Wizards.

As for the ex-Skins, not going to miss a single one of them but I do wish Smoot all the best. I like Fred and I remember fondly him throwing his body around with a total disregard for his lack of size during his first stint here. I don't think I enjoyed a cornerback duo more during a single season than I did in 2004 with Shawn Springs and Fred Smoot. They were fantastic.

stop, drop, and roll.

ARE in a nutshell.

i know, watching randel el was like watching a bear attack...fall over and play dead.

i wont miss any of the guys that were cut but i do feel for rock and a little for betts. best of luck to them.

pro basketball? couldnt care less.

Basketball in DC is a joke and no one cares..this is a FOOTBALL TOWN and always will be..but if the Capitals keep winning and the Skins keep loosing, that could change quickly.

If we could field 3 successful sports teams then it would be a multi-sport town.

The Caps are gaining momentum and a Stanely Cup win this year would start to solidify them in the hearts of DC sports fans. To be honest if they can keep their core of young players together for 10 years it could be multiple cups. They have a smart owner who cares about his team and is focused on winning Cups. Hockey is fast paced, exiciting and has the hits like in the NFL. Plus they have the best player in the NHL who also happens to be extremely charismatic.

The Wizards need a long string of playoff runs along with at least a championship series appearance to garner fans back. It is a long road to hoe and hopefully they start next season. They need to build a young team. And they need a young talented leader.

The Redskins are hanging onto past glory. The team hasn't been good since 1991 and younger kids are latching onto winning teams from other cities. Baltimore, New England, the Steelers etc... And you cannot blame those kids for liking a winner.

True fandom I believe starts young. If your product on the field sucks for a long time you can lose a generation of fans. Fortunately Shanahan and Allen so far have looked like they know what they are doing and I bet after the draft we will be happier with them.

i couldnt care less about the nba much less the wizards however of the skins listed ill miss cartwright the most. i feel that he has been an invaluable role player for this team. he was the blue collar worker that deserves respect. always playing his role and never complaining about wanting a more prominent role. i feel the he epitomised exactly what a player SHOULD be...... a team player first and foremost.

Although I'm not as Wizards fan (Boston Celtics:D)I have watched alot of their games. I know Gilbert was the face of the franchise,but I was an Antawn Jamison fan.I hate the Cavs so when the Wizards played the Cavs it was more interesting more times than not. Now that Antawn is a Cavs,I hope he does well and all but if it came down to the Cavs and Celtics sorry Antawn (oh yeah and I hate the Lakers too) I liked Caron never was high on Brendan or DeShawn.

I am a Celtics fan since the days of Larry Bird,Kevin McHale,Robert Parrish.If I had to choose between the two it would be the REDSKINS without a doubt.There are so many parallels between the Redskins and Celtics franchises it's kinda eerie. I was a young teenager when Reggie Lewis died young,tragic, and unexpected like Sean Taylor. I remember all the horrible years when Robert Parish left and signed with the Charlotte Hornets as a free agent.Then M. L. Carr ( general manager) signing free agents Dominique Wilkins and Pervis Ellison.I remember the franchise-worst 15-67 record in '96-'9.7 Celtics rookie Antoine Walker was one of few bright spots for that team, with the'09 Skins it was Brian Orakpo. Then in '98 Paul Pierce landed in the Celtics lap unexpectedly much like Orakpo. I guess that's one reason I remain a Redskins believer.Even a storied franchise like the Celtics went through very rough hard times and though it took some time Danny Ainge came in(hopefully like Bruce Allen) hired Doc Rivers(hopefully Mike Shanahan) and began to assemble the pieces that eventually lead to the Championship team in 2008 against our hated rivals the Lakers (the Superbowl will be in the Jerry Jones shrine,for the Skins it would be icing on the cake to get to the Superbowl and win in Little D:D) That's why we should be patient and let Bruce and Mike do what they deem best to get this team and franchise back to the glory of the past.

Here's something that I find amusing the fact that the Redskins were once known as the Boston Braves and Boston Redskins:D

Ah' date=' Randle El. So many memories....

Seriously, can someone describe a Randle El memory for me?[/quote']

Well, there was the time when... no, that wasn't it. Well... no, that wasn't it, either. Surely the... no, that wasn't it.

I'll miss hearing "Rundellel" in interviews. Yeah, that's it... :D

Ex Skins. I like Jamison n' all but the NBA is pretty unwatchable. Really, how is that league still around? Does anyone even care anymore? This is sad for me to say, because I love basketball, but I hate the NBA. Thank goodness for college hoops and the NCAA tournament.

Ex Skins. I like Jamison n' all but the NBA is pretty unwatchable. Really, how is that league still around? Does anyone even care anymore? This is sad for me to say, because I love basketball, but I hate the NBA. Thank goodness for college hoops and the NCAA tournament.

See I love college BB especially this time of year but can't watch a second of the nba. IMO the nba is a waste of airspace.

See I love college BB especially this time of year but can't watch a second of the nba. IMO the nba is a waste of airspace.

I don't think I've watched more than ten seconds of the NBA (usually on recaps) in five years.

Probably another ten years before those ten seconds became actual minutes... ;)

Archived