Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your favorite breed of dog? Pics welcome

Commander PK

Mine: Rottweiler

A guy in my fraternity house owned a pure bred Rottweiler.

Couldn't have been a nicer dog.

But good Lord, it was incredible seeing how athletic and strong it was just when doing simple things like playing fetch or tug of war with something. I never want to be on the bad side of a Rottweiler.

madison2-1.jpg

Ya know, I love our pit Shelby, Ki (aka El Destructo) is a joy most of the time, and Carly our pug mix is a sweetheart. I would not trade any of them for the world.

However...the best dog I have ever owned, and a breed I will own again at some point, was our mastiff. She was a study in contrasts - here was a dog that was so huge and menacing in appearance (super dark brindle and 180 pounds) that adults in our neighborhood avoided her on principle. I remember cracking up watching some wannabe thugs cross the street because they saw I had her outside in the front yard (on leash).

Yet, she was so gentle that the neighborhood kids would knock on our door and ask "Can Madison come out and play?"

This is by far my favorite dog The Rhodesian Ridgeback

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback

Winner. This is the dog I hope to one day own. When I buy a home with room, I'd like to have a RR and maybe throw in a mutt buddy for him. These dogs just scream coolness (they were originally bred to fight off lions) but they are great for a family and are extremely friendly and loyal.

German Sheppherd

And hockeysc, why does your dog get that butt scared? You breaking bad on her or something?

She is a rescue dog. She was used for breeding and I assume her previous owners weren't too good to her. When she does something bad and I walk up to her she cowers. It's pretty sad to see.

I am working with her but have only had her almost 2 years so I think it is just taking her awhile to adjust.

I finally got her socializing with other dogs properly. She use to be scared and run away or try to growl and attack. Now she just plays.

But anytime she does something bad or something scares her into the end table she goes. Pretty hard to get her out too haha.

She is a rescue dog. She was used for breeding and I assume her previous owners weren't too good to her. When she does something bad and I walk up to her she cowers. It's pretty sad to see.

I am working with her but have only had her almost 2 years so I think it is just taking her awhile to adjust.

I finally got her socializing with other dogs properly. She use to be scared and run away or try to growl and attack. Now she just plays.

But anytime she does something bad or something scares her into the end table she goes. Pretty hard to get her out too haha.

Thats sad to hear. Wtf is wrong with people that they could treat animals so badly?

Glad to hear you rescued her and she has a good home now

What would you all recommend for a big, strong dog that would protect you but one that is very loyal, smart, and friendly with kids?

You need to give us some more information. I mean, I can say "GSD" or "English Mastiff", but without knowing you, your situation, what you really want, etc. recommendations will be kinda useless :)

Do you want a dog that is a great watchdog or one with actual protection instincts? If you just want a dog that will act as a solid watchdog, your choices are much more diverse. What level of protection instincts are you talking about? I mean, the herding breeds can be protective, but they are not specifically for "protection".

What is your level of experience? Most guardian breeds require an owner who understands training, socialization, and dominance. They are not like going out and buying a Lab or Golden. Willingness to do research and learn is a must. For example, a dog like a Black Russian Terrier requires more knowledge and skill than an English Mastiff, which in turn requires more knowledge and skills than, say, a poodle.

Also, how physical are you? If need be, I know I can pickup and physically manipulate a GSD - the one time I tried dead-lifting my old Mastiff I spent the week popping advil.

What is your definition of "big"? Guardian breeds can be as small as 40-50 pounds, or break the 200 pound mark. Strength levels also vary, with some breeds being more agile than they are strong.

How old are the children? Are they old enough to understand how to behave around dogs (ear pulling, leaving their food alone, etc)? How big are they? English Mastiffs can be great with kids and can put up with alot of children's behavior, but they can also accidentally hurt a small child because of their size (my wife actually had a few toes broken when ours ran over her foot). Some protection dogs are fine with children with socialization and supervision, while others are not a good idea.

Indoors or outdoors for the majority of the time? Some guardian breeds require being part of the family, thus need to be where the family is as much as possible.

Are there other dogs or cats in the house? Some of the guardian breeds do not handle cats or other dogs well, and so are fine with it. And yet others will depend upon the individual dog.

How much time can be devoted to training and socialization? The higher the strength, the higher the size, and the fact that "protection" is another way of saying "can be weary or aggressive towards strangers" means you have to be willing to devote time, and money, to classes, socialization around people, and your own training.

Size of the house/property? How much energy can your home handle?

Some "protection" dogs require alot of exercise, while others *cough* most Mastiffs *cough* are couch potatoes once they hit adulthood and are fine for apartments, townhouses, etc.

Long coat or short coat?

Are you willing to shop around for different homeowners insurance? Some protection breeds are not welcome with some insurance companies, such as GSDs and Rotties.

You also have some breeds that can be protective, but are not really "protection" dogs. Wheatons and Kerry Blues are working terriers that used to double as guardians, but protection is not their focus. APBTs can, and have, died protecting their owners from rattlesnakes to kidnapping attempts, but should never be used specifically for that purpose (or encouraged to be wary/aggressive) towards humans.

What would you all recommend for a big, strong dog that would protect you but one that is very loyal, smart, and friendly with kids?

Don't know if you want an actual guard dog.

Something like a black lab would meet all of those qualifications - they do have protective instincts but aren't a breed that is likely to rip apart someone. They are definitely loyal and would probably defend you if someone was an actual threat to you.

My yellow lab is a great watch dog. Quiet as can be 99% of the time but if there is a strange noise or someone outside of the door he will let you know it. I say black blab because I read that studies have shown they are more likely to intimidate someone with the intention of doing something harmful to your family or your house.

You need to give us some more information. I mean, I can say "GSD" or "English Mastiff", but without knowing you, your situation, what you really want, etc. recommendations will be kinda useless :)

I only eplised out Adam's quote in terms of space but he has a ton of good questions and stuff you should answer in terms of what you are looking for.

No dog is going to be exactly what you were looking for with out months- to years of training. Are you ready to go through with that?

Do you want a dog that will fight for you or will alert you? The small breeds are great at alerting. I know my gf's pug goes nuts anytime someone comes by the door.

No dog breed will give you exactly as you want. It is more the training.

All Boxers but specifically the reverse Brindle Boxer. I know very little about them but I've been around a few and love their look and temperament. Plan on getting one in a couple of years.

I swear that looks like my dog Baxter. Where did this picture come from?

I love Boxers.

Here is a picture of my boy Baxter.

IMG_0465.jpg

l_01b238360f6a179cda10e0fb8050ee46.jpg

m_36f1c9dd11ea88e741215772b9ae4831.jpg

l_f114768fcf4e2be2ff676186167a6d31.jpg

100_0351.jpg

Do you want a dog that is a great watchdog or one with actual protection instincts? If you just want a dog that will act as a solid watchdog, your choices are much more diverse. What level of protection instincts are you talking about? I mean, the herding breeds can be protective, but they are not specifically for "protection".

What is your level of experience? Most guardian breeds require an owner who understands training, socialization, and dominance. They are not like going out and buying a Lab or Golden. Willingness to do research and learn is a must. For example, a dog like a Black Russian Terrier requires more knowledge and skill than an English Mastiff, which in turn requires more knowledge and skills than, say, a poodle.

Also, how physical are you? If need be, I know I can pickup and physically manipulate a GSD - the one time I tried dead-lifting my old Mastiff I spent the week popping advil.

What is your definition of "big"? Guardian breeds can be as small as 40-50 pounds, or break the 200 pound mark. Strength levels also vary, with some breeds being more agile than they are strong.

How old are the children? Are they old enough to understand how to behave around dogs (ear pulling, leaving their food alone, etc)? How big are they? English Mastiffs can be great with kids and can put up with alot of children's behavior, but they can also accidentally hurt a small child because of their size (my wife actually had a few toes broken when ours ran over her foot). Some protection dogs are fine with children with socialization and supervision, while others are not a good idea.

Indoors or outdoors for the majority of the time? Some guardian breeds require being part of the family, thus need to be where the family is as much as possible.

Are there other dogs or cats in the house? Some of the guardian breeds do not handle cats or other dogs well, and so are fine with it. And yet others will depend upon the individual dog.

How much time can be devoted to training and socialization? The higher the strength, the higher the size, and the fact that "protection" is another way of saying "can be weary or aggressive towards strangers" means you have to be willing to devote time, and money, to classes, socialization around people, and your own training.

Size of the house/property? How much energy can your home handle?

Some "protection" dogs require alot of exercise, while others *cough* most Mastiffs *cough* are couch potatoes once they hit adulthood and are fine for apartments, townhouses, etc.

Long coat or short coat?

Are you willing to shop around for different homeowners insurance? Some protection breeds are not welcome with some insurance companies, such as GSDs and Rotties.

You also have some breeds that can be protective, but are not really "protection" dogs. Wheatons and Kerry Blues are working terriers that used to double as guardians, but protection is not their focus. APBTs can, and have, died protecting their owners from rattlesnakes to kidnapping attempts, but should never be used specifically for that purpose (or encouraged to be wary/aggressive) towards humans.

Well, I'm in college right now. With my housing situation next year, I can't have a pet so I would wait until next summer probably.

I don't want an attack dog or one that would physically bring an attacker to submission. I don't have the training to use a dog with those skills, nor do I have the time to learn such a vast array of training knowledge. I would want more of a dog that is threatening and could potentially scare an attacker away and could also alert me so I could do something about the situation myself.

I have no experience in training or handling. I'm around dogs a lot, but they're easy dogs (labs and retrievers).

I trust myself physically in most situations. I do a lot of weight lifting, so I feel confident in my physical abilities.

In terms of size, I would be looking for something around the size of a lab, give or take some weight. I wouldn't want a dog much bigger than an average German Shepherd, practically speaking.

I don't have kids nor am I around them often. I just don't want the dog to be a liability in a certain situation. Of course, any dog can turn. I just want one that isn't as likely to do so.

It would be both indoors and outdoors. I want one that likes to run around a lot, maybe one I can go running with. At the same time, I want him/her to be friendly and fun to have around friends and family. I'd love one affectionate enough to curl up on my bed at night.

When I'm home, he would be around a house cat. The cat actually likes other animals. I'd be more worried about how the dog felt about the cat.

I can devote some time to training, but not a great amount.

I want a dog with energy, but not to the point that he's obnoxious. Like I said, I'd love a dog with enough stamina to go on runs with me...and like it.

I don't know much about dogs in general, but while looking through this thread, the Rhodesian Ridgeback caught my eye. I looked it up, and it looks like a cool dog except that it's somewhat standoffish around strangers. What's the training requirement with these dogs?

Well, I'm in college right now. With my housing situation next year, I can't have a pet so I would wait until next summer probably.

I don't want an attack dog or one that would physically bring an attacker to submission. I don't have the training to use a dog with those skills, nor do I have the time to learn such a vast array of training knowledge. I would want more of a dog that is threatening and could potentially scare an attacker away and could also alert me so I could do something about the situation myself.

I have no experience in training or handling. I'm around dogs a lot, but they're easy dogs (labs and retrievers).

I trust myself physically in most situations. I do a lot of weight lifting, so I feel confident in my physical abilities.

In terms of size, I would be looking for something around the size of a lab, give or take some weight. I wouldn't want a dog much bigger than an average German Shepherd, practically speaking.

I don't have kids nor am I around them often. I just don't want the dog to be a liability in a certain situation. Of course, any dog can turn. I just want one that isn't as likely to do so.

It would be both indoors and outdoors. I want one that likes to run around a lot, maybe one I can go running with. At the same time, I want him/her to be friendly and fun to have around friends and family. I'd love one affectionate enough to curl up on my bed at night.

When I'm home, he would be around a house cat. The cat actually likes other animals. I'd be more worried about how the dog felt about the cat.

I can devote some time to training, but not a great amount.

I want a dog with energy, but not to the point that he's obnoxious. Like I said, I'd love a dog with enough stamina to go on runs with me...and like it.

I don't know much about dogs in general, but while looking through this thread, the Rhodesian Ridgeback caught my eye. I looked it up, and it looks like a cool dog except that it's somewhat standoffish around strangers. What's the training requirement with these dogs?

I may be wrong but what I read from your response is you want the world's best dog but don't have the training, time or space to make it happen.

Your dog cannot and won't be all those things.

Honestly, it sounds like you really just want a watchdog with some intimidation factor through appearance. There are many that fit that, including Labs (See JMU's earlier post). It may be best to stick with what ya know.

As far as being around children - kids have a set of common behaviors plus size which can put them into conflict with a dog very quickly, no matter what the breed. Some dogs have a history of being ok around kids because they are able to ignore the pinches and ear-pulling or are just that laid back, but any dog/child interaction can pose a risk. Mostly the determing factor is not the breed per se, but the individual dog and the owner's behavior.

That is not to say that there are not breeds which, in general, do not handle kids - for example, ****ers are notorious for not playing well with small children.

I admit to now knowing much about them. I like them, but have never really been on my radar. I have heard that they can be a handful, and some sites say they are fine companion dogs with solid training, while others recommend them for more experienced owners. I would suggest that, if you decide to go in that direction, calling local/state breed clubs, breeders, etc. and talk to them (or any dog you choose really).

Generally speaking, any dog that lists "strength" or "muscular" in the first line of a breed description is going to need training on both your's and the dog's part.

Despite a few somewhat sarcastic posts recently,I pretty much love all kinds of dogs,(and cats and....). I get along with most of them pretty well. That and having owned or been around so many breeds it's a touch call on favorites. Most of my experience has been with Goldens and Border Collies,so I tend to lean that way. Can't have one,but if I could,I'd say I'd start with one of those two AFTER trying the rescue way first,(no specific breed to look for in that area for me).

Besides. Aren't they all a favorite when they're puppies? ;)

zlPb8vsvcoM&feature

Archived