Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per John Clayton: Redskins to put 1st and 3rd round tender on Campbell (MET)

MAATopDogg

This is just a good marketing strategy....Test the waters....If no takers, then fine. I think BA/MS want a new Qb but may also feel that JC might be a QB capable of giving us a 9 win season next year with an improved o-line and running attack supporting him. Like the selling your car idea previously posted, you may not really want to sell it but .....for the right price !!! Jc is NOT our future and I think everyone is pretty well convinced of that, but, he is a proven commodity and MS knows what he has with JC... and a draft pick is still a crap shoot regardless of where he is chosen.

can you imagine how bruce allen is feeling? Hes probably watched some tape and just shook his head and said "my god, im supposed to get something in return for this?".

I'd be staggered if we got a 4th or 5th for campbell. Any team willing to give up a 3rd is completely out of their minds, or lives in oakland.

+1

I think the biggest upgrade to this team is everyone working for one man. Shanahan hired everyone, everyone sings from his song sheet. What we do in FA and the Draft are important but IMO the proper structure is more so. Zorn didn't stand a chance, Shanahan does. Good times 'cos we do have some talent, on and off the field.

Personally I'd like a trade down and 2 x OL and a one of OL/RB/LB/NT depending on FA. I'd also like competition to decide who plays QB. I think JC is good enough but I think he should earn it. I'm not averse to seeing what Brennan has if he thinks he has a shot rather than the 'JC is starter' of old.

Whatever we do I expect to be happy. We all wanted the FO changing to a more traditional look, we got it. Now we have a guy in charge who is proven and has a chip on his shoulder. Perfect. We really did win the off season this time, already.

EDIT: As for JC he showed he was quite good in the red zone last season, as poor as our OL was. Not so good getting to the red zone but the year before that was reversed. He can do it and has done it, if he is used right. We need an OL and a real Run game. We have the pass catchers and talent on our D. If he works pay him, if not dump him and get a new QB with the resultant good pick we would have if JC was anything like as bad as some on here portray. I don't see the down side to this.

I like the move.

JC will be the starter, barring injury, come game one. Teams will not give up a first and third to get him.

I just hope he can prosper in this offense. I just hope the FO finds some Oline talent and gives him time to succeed. If they draft a QB, fine, just make sure that guy is better than JC. If that draft pick comes in and earns the spot, give it to him.

But, until such time as that happens, JC is the man.

:cheers:

and id like to think being a fan of the skins would mean youd want JC gone, unless you enjoy losing, which is all campbell has done in his career and that clearly some folks dont seem to care too much about.

Are you implying that Skins fans can't want JC as their QB because of your OPINION that JC will lose henceforth?

You're defining the line between JC Critic and JC Hater.

IF somehow some team is interested in him, I dont care what the coaches think of him, this could very well help us in the future rebuild this offensive line. Maybe ship Fred Davis for a 2nd and we could have ourselves a draft.. Davis is better than any TE coming out this year

yea right. Trade a 1st round type tight end for a 2nd round pick. Fred Davis is a future PRO BOWLER. Speed, great hands, and a TD machine. Lets get rid of those kinds of players.

Not true. The Redskins have to offer him at least 110% of his 2009 salary. The difference between 110% of his 2009 salary and the 1st and 3rd level is negligible. It also gives the Skins more leverage.

exactly. I believe this is a ploy by the Redskins to prevent anyone from making an extravagant offer. Now the Skins won't have to pay him as much but JUST IN CASE...the Skins could at least get something good for him.

have you not been reading these threads? there are multiple posters would be thrilled if campbell was locked up in a 5 year deal. no theres no posts that say "i will be thrilled if campbell is locked up for a 5 year deal", but read between the lines. there are plenty of posters who think if we shore up everything else, campbell can take us to the promise land and signing him long term would be a fine idea.

which is just a joke.

This post is classis BLC.

You're actually admitting to using the strawman fallacy.

Main Entry: straw man

Function: noun

Date: 1886

1 : a weak or imaginary opposition (as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted

When you admit that no posts actually state the argument you put forth:"i will be thrilled if campbell is locked up for a 5 year deal"

but you proceed to attack it as if people are actually making this arguement your are creating a fallacious argument.

BTW care to answer my question?

Wouldn't it be worth giving Campbell 1 year under better circumstances if the end result could be QB above 15th in the NFL?

What do we stand to lose?

Hell Jason might not want to be our QB anymore, ever think about that?

Not according to those Sports Junkies you like so much. I listened to a few more podcast right after MS was hired. They said in talking to JC they got the impression he wants to be back in D.C. next year. I got the same impression from his interviews. He sounded to me like he really wants to work with Shanahan. And why not. The coach has said he would build an offense around JC's strengths even though some people on this board don't think he has any.

Not true. The Redskins have to offer him at least 110% of his 2009 salary. The difference between 110% of his 2009 salary and the 1st and 3rd level is negligible. It also gives the Skins more leverage.

Exactly - making this a none issue as we should be surprised only if the team did/does NOT do this.

Not according to those Sports Junkies you like so much. I listened to a few more podcast right after MS was hired. They said in talking to JC they got the impression he wants to be back in D.C. next year. I got the same impression from his interviews. He sounded to me like he really wants to work with Shanahan. And why not. The coach has said he would build an offense around JC's strengths even though some people on this board don't think he has any.

All will change if Allen offers just a 1-year, 3 mill tender to Campbell....Campbell will definitely demand a trade

why? so i can make a list, all the posters on it then deny it and talk circles about how they "really" feel? yeah, ill pass on that.

nice try though.

I accept your surrender.
Welcome to the school yard "call out" session, followed by the denial/argument/counter denial session.
Was this comment really worth taking up space in the thread?
lol, exactly. im sure IS was just dying for me to make a list though.
I asked you to make a list because I knew you couldn't, and that you'd give some lame attempt to save face.

EDIT: As for JC he showed he was quite good in the red zone last season, as poor as our OL was. Not so good getting to the red zone but the year before that was reversed. He can do it and has done it, if he is used right. We need an OL and a real Run game. We have the pass catchers and talent on our D. If he works pay him, if not dump him and get a new QB with the resultant good pick we would have if JC was anything like as bad as some on here portray. I don't see the down side to this.

have to disagree on that one pard. the common observation was that the team moved up/down the field but was not efficient at scoring for most of the season.

Archived