Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI: Shanahan's plan will become clearer over the next month

MattFancy

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/shanahans-plan-will-become-cle.html

Thought this was the most interesting part of the article:

But Shanahan is eager to draft and develop a young quarterback, a league source familiar with his thinking said recently, and former Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford has been linked with the Redskins in most early mock drafts. Former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen also often has been listed as a possible top pick of the Redskins.

If you've been following the board here, then the only thing 'interesting' about all that is how far behind on things JR really is.:) Its almost like he's phoning it in because he has something else he'd rather be doing.

If you've been following the board here, then the only thing 'interesting' about all that is how far behind on things JR really is.:) Its almost like he's phoning it in because he has something else he'd rather be doing.

Maybe he's been getting his news here? I agree nothing that we didn't really know already. Just thought the part about Shanny wanting to bring in a QB to groom might generate some discussion.

This article brought nothing new to the table.

One thing that excites me about our new regime will be the "in-house" approach and camouflaging of personnel moves.

Under Vinny, I felt like EVERY move we made or thought about making "leaked" to the media. That's all fine and dandy when we get our man (Haynesworth), but when you try to desperately dump off your starting QB for other guys and FAIL... our FO's stupidity is put on display for everyone to see.

This is another reason I think Portis will be gone.

Reid is so biased toward JC it's hilarious. Every article says "an offensive lineman would be the obvious choice."

You know when April comes around and the Redskins pick Bradford they will be SLAMMED by the WP and the media as a whole as always........saying that we picked the "sexy pick".

The local and national media LOVE that story that they get to bust out every year.

You know when April comes around and the Redskins pick Bradford they will be SLAMMED by the WP and the media as a whole as always........saying that we picked the "sexy pick".

The local and national media LOVE that story that they get to bust out every year.

Nah, just the local media will bash us. Particularly the Post because of their dislike of the Skins and Snyder. National media will be in the "Shanny's great with QBs" boat.

Am I the only one who finds it curious that Shanahan wanting Bradford would be leaked this early in the game?

It is ALL speculation. Most of the media know that Campbell is not a good QB. They also know how MS is about his offense and QB's. So, it is an easy assumption to make that we are going after a QB, and since we have such a high pick, it is easy to through out the names of the top two rated QB's. It is all about throwing everything you can against the wall and seeing what will stick. It's called Sports Journalism in the Twenty-first Century.

Do you really think Shanny wants to work with a QB that has been tweaked with so much like JC? I mean really, what is the point fixing a car that has been already worked on by tons of mechanics that already has a ton of miles on it instead of getting a slightly used car that has been in an accident but no damage to its engine!

Reid is so biased toward JC it's hilarious. Every article says "an offensive lineman would be the obvious choice."

Because that's the last thing this team needs, right? :rolleyes:

Even if we were to cut Campbell and draft Bradford/Clausen (which despite my personal opinion, I'd be perfectly fine with if it's ShanahAllen's idea), no QB can thrive behind this OL.

Do you really think Shanny wants to work with a QB that has been tweaked with so much like JC? I mean really, what is the point fixing a car that has been already worked on by tons of mechanics that already has a ton of miles on it instead of getting a slightly used car that has been in an accident but no damage to its engine!

Who is the "car" that you are referring to that is slightly used but no damage to it's engine. I'm guessing your not talking about Bradford. The shoulder of a quarterback is definitely part of the engine and Bradford's has been wrecked. Not that it couldn't be repaired but there has been damage.

I don't think that has anything to do with Campbell, it just happens to be completely obvious that we desperately need offensive line talent and depth.

I think this instance is clearly a slow news day. It's the second day after the Super Bowl and absolutely nothing is happening at Redskins Park, but J.Reid has to put out an article for the Post everyday, so he went with a softball topic today.

];7287391']Because that's the last thing this team needs' date=' right? :rolleyes:

Even if we were to cut Campbell and draft Bradford/Clausen (which despite my personal opinion, I'd be perfectly fine with if it's ShanahAllen's idea), no QB can thrive behind this OL.[/quote']

Not saying we don't need huge help on the line or that we should draft a QB at four. I'm saying there are so many variables involved and to simply take an offensive linemen at four no questions asked... well again, there are variables.

What if Shanahan doesn't think much of the tackles in the draft even though the team desperately needs one? Should he still take a tackle at four?

What if Shanahan is lukewarm on a tackle but thinks Bradford or Clausen could be a franchise QB? Does he still take the tackle because it's more a need right now?

What annoys me is guys like Reid basically already declaring that Shanahan will be wrong if he takes a QB at four. Reid doesn't know jacksquat and has lost all objectivity when it comes to Campbell. I like JC too and would love to see him prove doubters like me wrong. Guys like Reid want JC to be the starter no questions asked, even though it's clear a lot of questions should be.

Not saying we don't need huge help on the line or that we should draft a QB at four. I'm saying there are so many variables involved and to simply take an offensive linemen at four no questions asked... well again, there are variables.

What if Shanahan doesn't think much of the tackles in the draft even though the team desperately needs one? Should he still take a tackle at four?

What if Shanahan is lukewarm on a tackle but thinks Bradford or Clausen could be a franchise QB? Does he still take the tackle because it's more a need right now?

What annoys me is guys like Reid basically already declaring that Shanahan will be wrong if he takes a QB at four. Reid doesn't know jacksquat and has lost all objectivity when it comes to Campbell. I like JC too and would love to see him prove doubters like me wrong. Guys like Reid want JC to be the starter no questions asked, even though it's clear a lot of questions should be.

I think its a matter of weights and measures. IMO, this team needs line help before QB help. WHile JC has shown he is not a great QB, he has also shown that he can play fairly well under terrible duress.

On the other hand, there are not many seasoned vets that can play behind our line... let alone a kid frech out of college.

I think the "no brainer" here is to take a tackle early, or try to trade back. I think most of the top prospect QB's will be avaible a little later (mid to late first). The linemen wont.

I think its a matter of weights and measures. IMO, this team team line help before QB help. WHile JC has shown he is not a great QB, he has also shown that he can play fairly well under terrible duress.

On the other hand, there are not many seasoned vets that can play behind our line... let alone a kid frech out of college.

I think the "no brainer" here is to take a tackle early, or try to trade back. I think most of the top prospect QB's will be avaible a little later (mid to late first). The linemen wont.

You're right -- tackle is more of a pressing need. JC is a legit NFL caliber QB and we don't have a legit NFL caliber tackle on our roster.

But again, I don't think it's that simple. Many variables involved. What if Shanahan doesn't love the high-rated tackles but does love a QB or a player at another position? Does he take a tackle just to take a tackle? I don't think so.

And trading down always sounds good, but it's not easy to do. Shanahan will address the line, but it's not going to be an overnight fix. And he might think it's easier to build a decent line quickly via later draft picks and free agency than it is to find a QB like Bradford or Clausen (if he thinks they're franchise material). Who knows?

Archived