Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI: Shanahan's plan will become clearer over the next month

MattFancy

Not saying we don't need huge help on the line or that we should draft a QB at four. I'm saying there are so many variables involved and to simply take an offensive linemen at four no questions asked... well again, there are variables.

What if Shanahan doesn't think much of the tackles in the draft even though the team desperately needs one? Should he still take a tackle at four?

What if Shanahan is lukewarm on a tackle but thinks Bradford or Clausen could be a franchise QB? Does he still take the tackle because it's more a need right now?

What annoys me is guys like Reid basically already declaring that Shanahan will be wrong if he takes a QB at four. Reid doesn't know jacksquat and has lost all objectivity when it comes to Campbell. I like JC too and would love to see him prove doubters like me wrong. Guys like Reid want JC to be the starter no questions asked, even though it's clear a lot of questions should be.

I'm a JC supporter, but I fully agree with your post here.

I've said before too, if Shanny thinks he has his franchise QB there at 4 (and also there is no way he can get him if he trades down), then he has to get him. Shanny is a proven HC and only someone who values their agenda over the opinions of better football minds would question who he takes in the 1st round. A lot will go into that pick. Shanny has his legacy riding on this new job, and it's just not like him to not put all effort into important things like the 4th overall pick. BPA is best, and that's his likely route, though BPA will be based on his beliefs, not ours or the experts.

If he's luke warm on a tackle, but is very enthused by the QB, go QB. Of course I would say the same thing if it was sub par OT, and a safety like Berry that Shanny liked, go Berry. In other words, whoever is at the top of Shanny's board when he picks is the one Shanny should go with.

There is an implication that Reid will bash Shanny if he takes QB. But I don;t think it's as much of a foregone conclusion as you do though.

Tackle is more of a pressing need. JC is a legit NFL caliber QB and we don't have a legit NFL caliber tackle on our roster.

But again, I don't think it's that simple. Many variables involved. What if Shanahan doesn't love the high-rated tackles but does love a QB or a player at another position? And trading down always sounds good, but it's not easy to do.

If Shanahan knows he can get quality offensive linemen that fit the ZBS outside the first round, then sure draft a QB.

You're right -- tackle is more of a pressing need. JC is a legit NFL caliber QB and we don't have a legit NFL caliber tackle on our roster.

But again, I don't think it's that simple. Many variables involved. What if Shanahan doesn't love the high-rated tackles but does love a QB or a player at another position? And trading down always sounds good, but it's not easy to do.

That could happen too. I am looking at this situation without trying to read Shan Halens mind though.

If you've been following the board here, then the only thing 'interesting' about all that is how far behind on things JR really is.:) Its almost like he's phoning it in because he has something else he'd rather be doing.

Sounds like employment possibilities.

I'm a JC supporter, but I fully agree with your post here.

I've said before too, if Shanny thinks he has his franchise QB there at 4 (and also there is no way he can get him if he trades down), then he has to get him. Shanny is a proven HC and only someone who values their agenda over the opinions of better football minds would question who he takes in the 1st round. A lot will go into that pick. Shanny has his legacy riding on this new job, and it's just not like him to not put all effort into important things like the 4th overall pick. BPA is best, and that's his likely route, though BPA will be based on his beliefs, not ours or the experts.

If he's luke warm on a tackle, but is very enthused by the QB, go QB. Of course I would say the same thing if it was sub par OT, and a safety like Berry that Shanny liked, go Berry. In other words, whoever is at the top of Shanny's board when he picks is the one Shanny should go with.

There is an implication that Reid will bash Shanny if he takes QB. But I don;t think it's as much of a foregone conclusion as you do though.

Good stuff all around. I guess I'm just a little sensitive with the Reid stuff because him and JLC always go out of their way to defend JC no matter what -- guy has them wrapped around his finger. I was hardly shocked to hear the Skins coaching staff allegedly told JC he was spending too much time talking to reporters last year.

not news .. saying Bill Romanowski interviewing for strength coach .. now thats new...and its true

And a former Skin is interviewing for an asst strength coach position.

But the WP & PFT don't have this yet. I give em at least an hour with PFT lifting this info first.

And a former Skin is interviewing for an asst strength coach position.

But the WP & PFT don't have this yet. I give em at least an hour with PFT lifting this info first.

Ok fellas, now that the leech has drawn blood. How about the asst. coach?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/09/redskins-interviewing-romanowski-for-strength-coach-job/

Bill Romanowski once lobbied to replace Mike Shanahan in Denver. Now he might join Shanahan's staff in Washington.

Jay Glazer reports that Romanowski is interviewing in Washington to be the team's strength and conditioning coach. Seriously.

There are a ton of jokes that could be made here, but we'll leave them to the commenters.

Good article on Romanowski's training and conditioning, and he talks about steroid use too, though maybe not as repentatively as some would hope.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne47.htm

From that article...damn I like the sounds of it but as others have said I am not too sure if he is the right guy for the job. Need to sleep on it.

"I think my training and extreme conditioning was one of the only things that saved me from missing a lot of time. You have to understand, I was a FREAK about my training. I trained eight hours per day in the off-season, including two hours per day of weight training, and hours upon hours of stretching, massage therapy, icing, and various other preventative measures."

You know when April comes around and the Redskins pick Bradford they will be SLAMMED by the WP and the media as a whole as always........saying that we picked the "sexy pick".

The local and national media LOVE that story that they get to bust out every year.

well gee, we've contsantly avoided drafting for the trenches. Maybe they're right?

Ah, you would think that Captain Obvious (Reid) would be aware that the draft this year is THREE days, not two. Oh well, when you're agenda driven, and behind in the drive like Reid is, I guess the attention to detail gets the back seat.

Maybe I'm missing something but the article I'm reading says 3 days.

"The Redskins currently hold the No. 4 overall pick in the three-day draft (April 22-24)."

If it says 3 days then it was changed. Earlier today it referred to the draft as a 2 day event. "The Mayor" is very one track in his assessment of the team and keeps talking about the o-line as though it was something that nobody else could figure out was an issue. Thanks for the revelation.

I thought JLC was far superior in terms of providing new information and focusing on different angles of the team.

Anything about drafting Bradford is conjecture. Has Shanahan outwardly stated that he was going to draft either Bradford or Clausen? The Redskins most pressing needs are along the offensive line. The best thing for them to do is to trade that fourth overall pick away for additional draft choices and fill out that offensive line with promising prospects. If Colt McCoy is around in the second round when the Redskins draft, then Bruce Allen should select him.

Archived