Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peyton Manning says Jason Campbell's sounded positive - guess not - MODS LOCK THIS

kiingspadee

He has been coddled from day 1.

Those changes were made for him.

The team invested everything in Jason. They destroyed the coaching staff Gibbs built in order to develop him as a QB.

They traded up into the 1st rd and picked him when no one else valued him that much.

They traded a former 1st rd pick away so he could take over #2 without competition.

They kept him as starter without competition despite going to the playoffs after he was injured.

The Redskins have treated him better than he ever could have hoped for. He was hand picked by a Skins legend and was handed everything without ever competing for it.

And that is exactly what he has needed, competition, which shanny favors so things can't get worse.

Football is a team sport but NFL quarterbacks are judged by the most important stat, wins and losses. It's the only position on a football team that has his career win/loss record quoted. No one says that a left tackle or linebacker is 0-14 in his career. A quarterback has the ability to affect the outcome of a game more than any other position.

Does it matter as much for Cutler or Cassell this season, or Ryan?

Did it matter last season for 8-8 Brees?

The W-L column needs proper context.

The QB has the ability to effect the outcome of a game more than most every other position. Guys like LT, CP, Hester, Sproles, Rice, Brandon Marshall, TO, have all had that ability as well at some point.

i agree ...

BUT :ols:

I dont' think the guy got a fair shake and I think under this Front Office and under zorn, peyton manning would have been no better than 12-12 the last 24 games.

The last 24 games came after 15-9 over the previous 24.

Peyton would have improved on that record. Don't kid yourself.

];7271050']Out of curiosity:

If the Redskins go 13-3 next season with a legendary run game and a solid' date=' but still less than stellar passing game, will you attribute those wins to Campbell if he's at the helm for all of those wins?

Suppose he throws for 3500+ but still gets only about 20 TDs, but less than 5 INTs. Would you, BLC, acknowledge that he is THE quarterback for the Skins, due to the fact that he just led the team to a fantastic season.

This is all hypothetical, and I just want to know what you personally would say. Not an attack or a call out, just a question of philosophy.[/quote']

i think if we were to go 13-3 campbell would have to be playing some sort of legit role (unless its truly a titans situation from last year where kerry collins literally stood around doing nothing).

but he'd surely get credit for those 13 wins on his record as he should.

and would i acknowledge that he is THE quarterback for the skins? hard to say, it would depend on his play. you cant just throw out a blanket 3500K 20 TDs number and ask me to answer that. he'd have to show marked improvement, the capacity to beat legit teams, the ability to lead this team in crunch time, and a couple signature games where he just catches on fire and dominates.

this is all super hypothetical, but in order for a team to go 13-3, most of the time the QB plays a large part in that role. so id have to assume that campbell would be playing much better than his usual mediocre self (again unless it was a kerry collins 2008 titans move which is not the norm).

Does it matter as much for Cutler or Cassell this season, or Ryan?

Did it matter last season for 8-8 Brees?

The W-L column needs proper context.

The QB has the ability to effect the outcome of a game more than most every other position. Guys like LT, CP, Hester, Sproles, Rice, Brandon Marshall, TO, have all had that ability as well at some point.

when your offense is #1 in the league (brees), the QB taking heat for losses is a little unwarranted.

when your offense is #2 in the league (cutler 08), the QB taking heat for losses is a little unwarranted.

when your offense is #22 in the league (campbell 09), the QB is going to take heat for the losses.

It's funny how some one who actually plays the sport sees how difficult it's been to be the Quarter Back for the Redskins, but fans who watch can't show the same empathy. Instead they are fixated on getting a qb who went through major surgery on his throwing shoulder, or a malcontent like Jay Culter.

];7271050']Out of curiosity:

If the Redskins go 13-3 next season with a legendary run game and a solid' date=' but still less than stellar passing game, will you attribute those wins to Campbell if he's at the helm for all of those wins?

Suppose he throws for 3500+ but still gets only about 20 TDs, but less than 5 INTs. Would you, BLC, acknowledge that he is THE quarterback for the Skins, due to the fact that he just led the team to a fantastic season.

This is all hypothetical, and I just want to know what you personally would say. Not an attack or a call out, just a question of philosophy.[/quote']

If JC led the Skins to a 13-3 record, I absolutely would want him to be the QB.

That's what I'm saying. Maybe I misunderstood SCS, but when he said JC was consistently one of the worst qbs in YAC, it led me to believe he was saying that most of his yards come from YAC because of wide open checkdowns to running backs. He's criticizing JC for having a lot of YAC. But correct me if I'm wrong.
Naw, you're cool then.

Trouble with JC is, as even a Candle supporter recently stated, it's pretty common for our receiver to have to come to a DEAD STOP before Candle even throws the ball in his direction, let alone hit him in stride.

It's funny how some one who actually plays the sport sees how difficult it's been to be the Quarter Back for the Redskins, but fans who watch can't show the same empathy. Instead they are fixated on getting a qb who went through major surgery on his throwing shoulder, or a malcontent like Jay Culter.

aka QBs with an over-confidence, from either the media or being drafted early, who let their teams down during the playoffs and big games.

He's had a rough time but that doesn't mean that he's a good QB or will ever be one.

He's had a rough time but that doesn't mean that he's a good QB or will ever be one.

But that's what this whole topic was supposed to be about until you guys got on this whole "JC feeds on the souls of babies" tangent. The OP never said anything about him being a good QB at all.

Saying it was a complement may be a bit much though.

I wouldn't say that's huge props to JC. Alot of people have been saying its been hard to switch between OCs all the time. I mean wouldn't it be hard to be constantly switching bosses? I admire JC for what he has done, but honestly, what else could he do besides keep trying?

He could give up. And he hasn't, which I completely admire him for. Sticking to your guns, remaining a decent person, and TRYING even if/when you're failing is incredibly hard. A vast majority of people cannot and will not try after failing or struggling. Have to give JC props for that. Doesn't change where I stand on him as a QB though.

Sooooo your in here arguing for the fun of it. Thats what I figured to be honest but this is a public message board so I guess that as long as its within the rules more power to you.

:saber:

I started off responding to a point that someone made and got into debate and discussion. That is one of the major purposes of message boards, is it not?

Honestly, it's a product of the Dan Snyder era and fake football fan shananagans.

There's people who would like a different QB, and then there's people who just really don't know what the hell they want.

aka QBs with an over-confidence, from either the media or being drafted early, who let their teams down during the playoffs and big games.

See, what you just said is rather useless because:

A) The Redskins have not had a professional football caliber roster while Jason Campbell has been the QB, so I guarantee you that every single member of the team is pointing the finger at the guy running the circus and not the QB who actually plays well, and if it were otherwise I'm sure you would see an underrated "Adam Archuletta" scenario where people with actual knowledge of what's going on inside this organization speak out using an anonymous voice. But all you have is Clinton Portis trying to save his own ass.

and

B) Repeat A until you understand.

I started off responding to a point that someone made and got into debate and discussion. That is one of the major purposes of message boards, is it not?

Hey man do your thing. I just find it silly that someone can make the same argument in about abajillion different threads and not get tired of it. And if it sounds like im just trying to comment on you im not. I'm talking about the whole "JC likes to wear white socks with dress pants and dress shoes, therefore, he is a horrible person" argument as a whole. I almost want the **** off the team JUST so it will stop and we can have regular conversations for once :ols:

Hey man do your thing. I just find it silly that someone can make the same argument in about abajillion different threads and not get tired of it. And if it sounds like im just trying to comment on you im not. I'm talking about the whole "JC likes to wear white socks with dress pants and dress shoes, therefore, he is a horrible person" argument as a whole. I almost want the **** off the team JUST so it will stop and we can have regular conversations for once :ols:

Good luck. Regardless of the topic some people will still pull the same stuff.

They asked a question about his relationship with his offensive coord and the first thing he goes on about is Jason Campbell and kept going for a while talking about how Jason has adapted and so forth. I understand some of the bashing I am getting but if you saw it maybe you would lighten up!

Peyton had 0 reason to bring up Jason Campbell at all! None! There was nothing directed about the Redskins or anything it was completely out of the blue

Thanks for passing along the info; and i'll take you at your word.

I wish there was a transcript or audio file somewhere so i could here it myself.

But, regardless of Manning's tone the mere fact that he mentions Jason Campbell's situation i.e. lack on continuity at OC should let all the fans knows that how much of a big deal changing offensive coordinator/system is in the development process of a young QB. The QB and OC are 2 of the main cogs in any offense, the OC along with the QB coach are a young QBs lifeline and are responsible for his guidance.

];7270506']Not true.

If Manning had said that Campbell doesn't have "it' date='" his expert opinion would have made a 45 page circle jerk thread about how Campbell doesn't even belong in the NFL.[/quote']

:no:

the bottom line.... like him, hate him, no matter what Peyton thinks, it has no bearing on Campbell's future in Washington.

Shanahan will be the only one that will decided that fate.

all this nonsense, arguing stuff that is mostly false or at best completely bias, does nothing to change that fact.

no matter what Shanny decides, we all will have to accept it and move on.

What opposing player or team would not want to keep Campbell behind center, it's an easy win, and easy week of defensive game planning.

I am curious, what did anyone expect Peyton to say? He's supposed to start knocking an opposing player the week before he plays in the super bowl? I didn't hear him say how good he thinks JC is?

2 years learning Gibbs offense, which he failed, then he had to learn the same offense with some different verbiage under Saunders and failed, then he had 2 years under Zorn and failed. Not to mention he ran the WCO in college and should have been ahead of the curve learning Zorns offense.

Peyton wonders what he would do with all those changes? We all know what he would do, he's done it, he's become his own offensive coordinator regardless of change.

Could anyone imagine Peyton saying well the guy has been in the NFL for 5 years and has been a failure, how does he go 4-11 against the easiest schedule in history, time to move on?

You hear plenty of players actually praising other players out of mutual competitive respect, that's not what he said, I know it's what the JC fest wants to imply, but he answered the question like anyone else would under media scrutiny.

So by using this excuse are we now in a holding pattern for 3 seasons until JC learns Shanny's offense?

Further more this excuse that some how change has hindered him? It doesn't hinder him from running the plays he does know, it doesn't inhibit him from being accurate. I really need to know how long does one need to actually learn a basic game plan in the NFL? It's not like they are running plays he doesn't know, he should be able to run the plays he does know with precision, but he's not remotly close, just one more excuse in a long line of Campbell excuses.

I am sure every team in our division thinks JC should be given at least 5 more seasons to prove himself.:smooch::excited:

The safe move is to take the franchise OT and wait until Round 2 to take a developmental quarterback with Campbell bridging at qb in 2010.

Nonsense Dog ... there is no franchise OT in this Draft ... let alone one worth $ 40 million at the No. 4 spot. In order to take an OT in the first round ... Skins have to trade down ... otherwise risk the stash on a so-so tackle who may not even start his rookie year. I don't see any takers lining up. Shanny will take the QB and dump Campbell.

Archived