Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

www.yahoo.com:Backdoor taxes to hit middle class

Thiebear

Ummm, it's more like we gotta pay for all those social services for tens of millions who don't pay a dime into the system that you voted for, somehow. Maybe this year you'll give some extra to the government (you know, that whole 'practice what you preach' thingy).

yeah i got no pity for those idiots too...

REDUCE benefits for thos NON-tax payers as well!!!!

DC school system is a bad example because its not the money nor the school system that is the issue there IMHO. Its the students and their surrounding's attitude toward education that is the problem.

Like I stated before the government spending HAS to get REDUCED. But right now not only do we need to cut spending but we also need to pay down debt ASAP. We can cut back on our taxes after we get better control of our finances but with the debt that is currently on the books, the interest payment is going to slowly bleed us to death.

Do I need to even answer your last question? We all should do our part and I do that by taxes that the government asks of me.

My point about the DC school system is that they spend roughly 2.5 times per student what a local, very expensive private school spends per student. This taxpayer money is being wasted. There are many reasons those schools are doing badly, and yes the attitude is a big part. The problems are also caused by the overwhelming bureaucracy, the incredible power given to the Unions (meaning that teachers, administrators, etc have no consequences to being grossly inadequate), and all of the overhead that is part of a government system. That is the issue I have - that the private schools are doing a much better job than the government.

And, yes, the last question is important. Many folks here keep saying that we should pay higher taxes. I want to know if they are actually doing what they advocate - paying more taxes now (my bet is mostly, if not allways, the answer is NO).

yeah i got no pity for those idiots too...

REDUCE benefits for thos NON-tax payers as well!!!!

I agree 100% with you on that one. Maybe someone (on either side of the political landscape) will make the same proposal. I can get behind that right away!!

Ummm, it's more like we gotta pay for all those social services for tens of millions who don't pay a dime into the system that you voted for, somehow. Maybe this year you'll give some extra to the government (you know, that whole 'practice what you preach' thingy).

I pay about $20k-25k a year to the feds, and then another $25k in real estate taxes. I'm not on any social programs and didn't receive any assistance for my mortgages. I'm in favor of a 5% federal sales tax, on top of income taxes, to tax the cash and carry underworld crowd, as well as those that are living off the on the public dole. Cigarettes should be $10 a pack, $20 tax on a bottle of booze, $10 tax on a case of beer, $50 on video games and players. How do you like them apples? :pfft:

My point about the DC school system is that they spend roughly 2.5 times per student what a local, very expensive private school spends per student. This taxpayer money is being wasted. There are many reasons those schools are doing badly, and yes the attitude is a big part. The problems are also caused by the overwhelming bureaucracy, the incredible power given to the Unions (meaning that teachers, administrators, etc have no consequences to being grossly inadequate), and all of the overhead that is part of a government system. That is the issue I have - that the private schools are doing a much better job than the government.

And, yes, the last question is important. Many folks here keep saying that we should pay higher taxes. I want to know if they are actually doing what they advocate - paying more taxes now (my bet is mostly, if not allways, the answer is NO).

DC private schools probably have better students than the public school.. you know the family actually had to put in some kind of effort to put enroll their kids in the private schools so I am almost sure they got better mindset.

the last question is same as this... you think that we need to defend our country from those terrorists... well why dont you back up what you advocate? Go grab a gun and join our forces in Iraq or Afgan. btfoom are you doing that?

I pay about $20k-25k a year to the feds, and then another $25k in real estate taxes. I'm not on any social programs and didn't receive any assistance for my mortgages. I'm in favor of a 5% federal sales tax, on top of income taxes, to tax the cash and carry underworld crowd, as well as those that are living off the on the public dole. Cigarettes should be $10 a pack, $20 tax on a bottle of booze, $10 tax on a case of beer, $50 on video games and players. How do you like them apples? :pfft:

This post alone would have cost me 40$ last weekend haha.

The market tax is a terrible idea.

Over 50% of Americans own stocks.......including many who make under 250k a year.

Yet they continue to lie, saying they won't raise taxes on the middle class.

Pathetic.:ols:

How about just telling the truth for once? Rolling back=increasing.

Just stop the lying. Is that really too much to ask?

What social services. Be specific and attach dollar amounts too them. If you are willing to blame them then you MUST have done your research right? Then compare them to the cost of the two wars.

I'll wait.

yup tell the truth...

rolling back or raising taxes... or however you want to word it...

if we are going to dig out of this hole we are in.. probably it would require some sort of sacarifice from you (EDIT: not directed at your, McD5) and everyone else... the problem isnt going to solve itself...

Over 50% of Americans own stocks.......including many who make under 250k a year.

Yet they continue to lie, saying they won't raise taxes on the middle class.

Pathetic.:ols:

That post smacks of self-interest. I make about 2/3s of my annual income through investments. I understand the need to contribute more given the current situations. Warren Buffet practically begged Bush to tax him more.

I do think it was a stupid promise for Obama to have made to never raise taxes on the middle class. Given the conditions that we are all in it is a foolish promise to keep. We need to get this house in order and if it causes me some personal pain to do so I love the United States enough to be willing to shoulder a little more of the load.

I'm in favor of a 5% federal sales tax, on top of income taxes, to tax the cash and carry underworld crowd

Interseting you bring this up. We take cash as payment in the business I work for and have had a BIG increase in cash payments versus other forms in about the last 6 months. Makes me think the underworld crowd is going strong and growing.

I do think it was a stupid promise for Obama to have made to never raise taxes on the middle class. Given the conditions that we are all in it is a foolish promise to keep. We need to get this house in order and if it causes me some personal pain to do so I love the United States enough to be willing to shoulder a little more of the load.

Obama did say that he isnt going to raise taxes on the middle class because he believed that not extending Bush tax cuts isnt raising taxes because its just reverting back to the old taxes...

So at least to me.. I thought Obama was clear that he wasnt going to extend Bush's tax cuts... It was better for the headlines when he says "he isnt going to raise taxes" when he should have said he isnt going to raise the taxes above the OLD tax rates that will come into effect during my term.

and I am with you.. I love this country and have gain so much in my life that I am willing to shoulder a little more load as well. I just hope that ALL people of all income levels will do that same.

Interseting you bring this up. We take cash as payment in the business I work for and have had a BIG increase in cash payments versus other forms in about the last 6 months. Makes me think the underworld crowd is going strong and growing.

it happens to me all the time. sadly I've got to many bills to hide any of it.

Obama did say that he isnt going to raise taxes on the middle class because he believed that not extending Bush tax cuts isnt raising taxes because its just reverting back to the old taxes...

So at least to me.. I thought Obama was clear that he wasnt going to extend Bush's tax cuts... It was better for the headlines when he says "he isnt going to raise taxes" when he should have said he isnt going to raise the taxes above the OLD tax rates that will come into effect during my term.

How is that not raising taxes? :ols:

Maybe we shouldn't extend the Kennedy tax cuts

I'm not against paying more taxes. Everyone complains about the debt and the size of government. Well, it's going to take an increase in revenue to get rid of that debt. We can fantasize about ginormous government cuts, but neither Republicans nor Democrats ever substantially cut and if they do cut something some Senator has three pet projects lined up to take its place.

If you do believe debt is a problem, the only way to address it is with tax increases or preferably tax increases combined with prudent cutting.

Totally agree. Even though it stinks that our "leaders" have gotten to this point with reckless spending it is the people who are always putting theses same clones of each other back in. We are the ones who have allowed the system to be what it is. It stinks about taxes having to be raised but the you need money to pay off debt. Its just economics. My problem is with this does anyone in their right mind really think the federal government will actually consistenly cut back spending even it hurts? I don't.

I smell a new round of campaign ads.

Obama/Reid/Pelosi have revived something no one thought would be possible in a decade if not longer. They revived the GOP.

This will get hung around the neck of every politico with a D after their name this fall.

How is that not raising taxes? :ols:

Maybe we shouldn't extend the Kennedy tax cuts

well its how you want to word it... its politics...

if you want to compare it to what you were paying now then yes taxes are raising...

But if Obama passing any laws to raise taxes on the middle class then No because Obama is not passing any laws to raise taxes.

like I said Obama didnt hide his intentions during the election. In fact I think almost all of the democrats did not hid their intentions about that.

I smell a new round of campaign ads.

Obama/Reid/Pelosi have revived something no one thought would be possible in a decade if not longer. They revived the GOP.

This will get hung around the neck of every politico with a D after their name this fall.

I am truly amazed at how the President and Congress in 1 year have managed to botch it so bad that the GOP actually has a decent shot to be relevant again.

Completely stunned. Didn't expect it this soon (or really ever again)

No self-interest. Country interest.

No self-interest. You are a self-proclaimed trader by trade. This hits you totally at home.

Now, I think the libs and dems who are defending Obama are offbase, he promised to not raise the middle class taxes by a dime (I suppose in politico speak that means we should all be prepared to guard our quarters and half dollars). As when Bush the elder said a similar thing, it was a dumb thing to declare.

If the times demand new taxes and they do... then you've hamstrung yourself or forced yourself to lie. The whining about new taxes is really about gamesmanship more than anyone else. Anyone who's looked at the landscape and didn't think new taxes were coming or are required is delusional.... and only politicians and economists get to be THAT delusional.

This entire thread is putting the cart before the horse. Congress has to re-authorize the tax cuts so the budget has to work on the assumption that the tax cuts will expire. I would bet that middle class tax cuts will be extended in this election year.

BTW, there absolutely should have been a war tax on everyone to cover the costs of the wars.

Archived