Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Of ExtremeSkins

Wow - thanks for all the great comments, guys. :)

Great post. Thanks alot for putting that together.

Here's a way to take a look at what the site has looked like over the years:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.extremeskins.com

Wow that is a cool link!

Guys - check Dan's link. Once the link comes up, click on one of the zillion other links going back ten years and you get a snap shot of what the board looked like back in the day...

This as great official site history. Now we need the National Enquirer version. ;)
lol lol lol

yeah....

That was really cool to read. You forgot to mention that the merger ended the largely heralded Daily Babe thread. :)
I am pretty sure that thread ended before my time - and from what I heard, it got ended the same reason a ton of other babe threads get ended: People abuse it and it gets to be a PITA to moderate...
I was on the old board as well, but i don't see a mention of Redskins HQ unless I missed it. The good ole days when the Funky Bunch and such were regular posters.
There's tons of little details I am missing and that I'll add - the reason I put this up today is because it's been in the planning stages for SIX YEARS - :doh:
Why did the game/player database have to go?
I believe it's because the Redskins version of vB didn't have the custom hack written by Blade that included the game/player database.

I miss that old look, the count down to game time, and the player data base.

But I'll roll with the flow.

Still the best message board on the net.

Oddly, in 2006, this site popped up out of nowhere:

http://www.redskinsdb.com/player.asp

It has the same data, same look, same functions, same everything. The webmaster doesn't answer emails. And the data available spans from 1932 to 2004, then abrubtly stops with no updates. Ever.

Props to Mark on the write-up! Nice to have a background on how ES got started and it's history so far.

And to the creators, excellent work my friends! :notworthy

Edit (after reading Mark's small print at the bottom of the OP lol): 90,000 members?? :applause: :cheers:

Pretty impressive that ES members could fill FedEx Field.

I've been following ES for a few years now, but since my old computer was a tool I wasn't able to officially register until last summer. I've enjoyed every minute of it (well except for 12 Sundays/Mondays last fall) and I can't wait for next season to get here. It's nice to have others to share opinions & info with on a day-to-day basis, make some friends, and become more knowledgable in the process. My favorite memory so far in my time here is December 17th and logging in to see the wild celebration going on after learning of Vinny's resignation.

Now if we can just get some more JC threads going.....

Edited by Jeff in D.C.

It has the same data, same look, same functions, same everything. The webmaster doesn't answer emails. And the data available spans from 1932 to 2004, then abrubtly stops with no updates. Ever.

Its the same because he stole the script from ES.

He doesn't answer e-mails because he's no longer maintaining that site. No updates since 04 should tell you that. Could be interesting to know when his domain is up though & then watch & see what happens to the site.

Its the same because he stole the script from ES.

He doesn't answer e-mails because he's no longer maintaining that site. No updates since 04 should tell you that. Could be interesting to know when his domain is up though & then watch & see what happens to the site.

Yes, I know. I was sort of leaving the obvious implied conclusion for the reader. ;)

Also as you can see here:

http://www.redskinsdb.com/pt/blog/default.aspx?id=114&t=I%20thought%20not%20saying%20anything%20might%20help...

He does enter somewhat recent blog posts. But the hard data stays stuck on 2004. And he doesn't answer messages - at least not the last time I tried.

Great write up Mark. I've been a member since 2005 and ES is the board the other Redskins sites aspire to become one day. Thanks Art,TK,PCS,Mark,Bubba,etc for all that you do/ have done on behalf of us Redskins fans. Your time, blood, sweat are apperciated:).

Hail to the Redskins!

Hail to ExtremeSkins!

The reason why that database's information hasn't been updated since 2004.... was coincidentally as far as I went with data entry into OUR database.

Blade and I went ragged purchasing Redskins media guys dating back to the 1940's... to get rosters, numbers, positions, draft position, etc.

It was a huge endeavor. Blade built the databases (player database, game database, draft pick database)... and I did all the data entry.

That hack merely copied all our code... without a single modification.

And it hasn't been updated... because there wasn't anything more to steal.... because I didn't update it since well before the merger (August 2005).

lol... from a random "way back machine" link:

There are currently 23 members and 23 guests on-line. Most users ever online was 224 on August-13th-2002 at 06:17 PM.

ahhh, the good ol' days when threads lingered on the front page. most users online at 224! i'm pretty sure we rarely go below that anymore.