Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rivals.com: Tim Tebow not looking good in Senior Bowl practice

bird_1972

Relax. He put the "pfft" emoticon (:pfft:), he obviously didn't mean that XtremeFan should literally never post again.

I heard McShay gave Tebow a "D+" rating for the Senior Bowl. I don't put a ton of stock into McShay's rankings, but I don't think I've ever heard him trash a guy as badly as he's been on Tebow.

My last post wasn't so much in defense of Tebow, but just disdain for the general lack of etiquette and civility that often emerges in this forum.

I may have went a bit overboard and for that I apologize.

It bothers me when posters basically attack other posters because of their opinion.

We should be able to disagree without being disagreeable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, McShay is uncharacteristically against Tebow as a QB.

Kiper, although he thinks Tebow should play H-back, isn't high on Tebow but doesn't count Tebow out and still has him gone by the 2nd round.

But, virtually everyone else that i've heard or read especially former players and coaches think Tebow will make it.

Even McShay's opinion of Tebow's performance at the Senior bowl itself varies.

Mayock and Chavous from the NFLN draft show aren't down on Tebow's performance, Mayock even picked him for Senior Bowl MVP. This is a scouts opinon from:

http://www.newerascouting.com/01/2010-senior-bowl-day-three-south-report/

QUARTERBACKS

-I continue to be impressed by Tim Tebow (Florida). I can understand the issue with his long release, but I watched him closely and something came to mind. I think, on purpose, he is slowing everything down to ensure he gets his footwork right. This is the first time he has dropped back while making reads, and I think he is focused on that more so than his release. With time, his release will be worked on and quickened enough to pass in the NFL. He connected on several deep balls yet again and the zip he can put on the ball is the best I’ve seen this week. His progression is there and that’s all you can ask for right now.

Here's some more opinions from NFL people, for balance:

"He's terrible," said one longtime NFC coach.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/4DB9313CF30FE665862576BA0014DCB1?OpenDocument#tp_newCommentAnchor

“I actually don’t think he’s that hard to evaluate at all,’’ said a high-ranking college scout for an NFC team. “To me, he’s just not a very good quarterback prospect. Now, if you want to rework his mechanics, his release, try to improve his accuracy, then you see a guy with this big frame that can throw.

“He’s a big-time project, no doubt.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2010/01/28/pros_see_cons/?page=1

sorry for :beatdeadhorse: but I thought this is an interesting video link from Smartfootball.com

Holy crap. His release looks almost textbook at the Elite11 camp. Does he just not have the arm strength to make "stick em" throws, and that's why he winds up so much now, or has he just been completely miscoached?

Holy crap. His release looks almost textbook at the Elite11 camp. Does he just not have the arm strength to make "stick em" throws, and that's why he winds up so much now, or has he just been completely miscoached?

I'd guess the coaches stopped trying to work on his mechanics and just let him be effective in the system.

I'd guess the coaches stopped trying to work on his mechanics and just let him be effective in the system.

I wonder if Meyer thought: i don't want to mess up my shot a national championship by screwing around with my QB's throwing motion.

Imho if he gets a QB coach and works hard between now and then combine/pro day i'd bet his delivery will look much better.

I think people expected to see a different delivery at the Senior Bowl, but its almost like he's there just to show people that he isn't afraid of the scrutiny.

From the comfort of my couch here's what's i think is wrong with Tebow's 'mechanics':

-he needs to focus on stepping and planting his lead leg,right leg, when he throws and using his the forward momentum from stepping planting and driving his leg and whipping his hips and torso to drive the ball

i think this is the first step to getting rid of the wind-up

he needs to use his leg and hip to drive the ball not a 'wind-up'

-he needs to keep his shoulders and both elbows up, but especially his left throwing elbow

if his shoulder and elbow are up he'll be more conscious about when he drops the ball/arm down

-and after his motion becomes more compact he needs to speed it up

Personally i think he could improve a great deal by combine and pro-day.

As a former coach (basketball) i feel like a can teach a kid how to shoot.

But i can't coach a kid to have toughness, heart, desire, hustle, work ethic etc.; and i think that's what makes Tebow attractive to coaches and former players.

The guy gets it.

The question is can you fix his throwing motion?

And i think the answer is going to be yes.

This sounds about correct. It's upsetting because he's such a good talent at the college level, but he looks better off being coached for 3-4 YEARS before seeing any action. Unless of course he takes up TE, or HB.

The question is can you fix his throwing motion?

And i think the answer is going to be yes.

Jason Campbell's throwing motion still isn't where it should be. Zorn was able to get him to reduce his wind-up, you know, where he brings the ball by his waist, to about half the time that throws the ball. And we are now entering Campbell's 6th year in the league. It's still flawed. And it's still a problem.

Leftwich is the biggest example of this. He's been in the league even longer than Campbell and he still will throw with that hideous wind-up. Leftwich is a hard worker, and listens, but that motion is too much a part of his game that he will revert to it almost instantly.

Tebow will be the same thing.

-he needs to focus on stepping and planting his lead leg,right leg, when he throws and using his the forward momentum from stepping planting and driving his leg and whipping his hips and torso to drive the ball

i think this is the first step to getting rid of the wind-up

he needs to use his leg and hip to drive the ball not a 'wind-up'

-he needs to keep his shoulders and both elbows up, but especially his left throwing elbow

if his shoulder and elbow are up he'll be more conscious about when he drops the ball/arm down

-and after his motion becomes more compact he needs to speed it up

...so you're basically saying he needs to learn how to throw a football.

Jason Campbell's throwing motion still isn't where it should be. Zorn was able to get him to reduce his wind-up, you know, where he brings the ball by his waist, to about half the time that throws the ball. And we are now entering Campbell's 6th year in the league. It's still flawed. And it's still a problem.

Leftwich is the biggest example of this. He's been in the league even longer than Campbell and he still will throw with that hideous wind-up. Leftwich is a hard worker, and listens, but that motion is too much a part of his game that he will revert to it almost instantly.

People are saying that he'll never make it in the NFL as a QB and that he needs to move to H-back.

Well didn't Leftwhich make it in the NFL?

And i don't think Campbell is a good comparison for several reasons the main one being that Campbell's development is not one conducive to success of a young QB.

But, even Campbell is the 15th rated QB in the NFL.

I have no idea how good Tebow will be, all i'm saying is that its kinds premature to right the guy off as he'll never make.

So for those saying that Tebow will never make it as a QB and needs to play H-back; Leftwhich and Campbell aren't good examples.

Eric Crouch, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost would probably be better example not because of their throwing motion but because they didn't make it as NFL QBs.

You know what I wanna know? Since everyone is going with the "I'll trust Shanny/Allen decision". What if Shanny/Allen do decide that Tebow is our franchise QB? Would you all consider this franchise a joke and blame Snyder? I personally think Tebow is being bashed soooo badly, that when he starts his NFL career as a "QB", he will become the next greatest "winning QB", and make everyone eat crow. I mean notice how majority of the QBs who came out of college with HUGH arms (J. Russell) & others before him who were overhyped to death turned out. This is probably the only winniest/hiesman winner/ passionate/ leader QB I've ever seen, get bashed so bad, to where people are CLAIMING he will have to play another position after only playing one position throughout his life. I hope we draft him. That way we could trade back pickup Oline for him, and a RB.

If you do draft him, you need to change your offense.

He's like having a decent power back that can throw. He's not going to crush people like Adrian Peterson or Greg Jones, but he can still run over a DB or two.

He's like Daunte Culpepper, but more athletic and not as good of a QB.

I have only seen one report that Tebow had a good week at the senior bowl, and that was by the same guy that said Canfield looked really good.

All of the other scouts I read up on said something similar to this:

• After getting better each of the last two practices Florida’s Tim Tebow regressed today. The thing that was most disheartening was how Tebow threw some ugly, terrible passes on short routes and dump offs. Those are not difficult throws and Tebow couldn’t execute them. As far as the mechanics go, Tebow’s looks a little better in 7-on-7’s and did have one real nice throw that I saw but he reverts to his old throwing motion in 11-on-11’s. That is all about muscle memory though and it will likely take him thousands of reps before he can utilize that shortened delivery without thinking about it. Two steps forward and one step back for Tebow.

Now nobody knows if Tebow will make it in the NFL, but if desire and heart count for anything, the man should have a better then average chance.

I am still liking Jarrett Brown or Dan Lefevour as a developmental pick.

People are saying that he'll never make it in the NFL as a QB and that he needs to move to H-back.

Well didn't Leftwhich make it in the NFL?

And i don't think Campbell is a good comparison for several reasons the main one being that Campbell's development is not one conducive to success of a young QB.

But, even Campbell is the 15th rated QB in the NFL.

I have no idea how good Tebow will be, all i'm saying is that its kinds premature to right the guy off as he'll never make.

So for those saying that Tebow will never make it as a QB and needs to play H-back; Leftwhich and Campbell aren't good examples.

Eric Crouch, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost would probably be better example not because of their throwing motion but because they didn't make it as NFL QBs.

Hey buddy, I'm not one of the types who are guaranteeing Tebow won't make it. If you look at what I posted, I said even with being coached up, he will still be like Campbell or Leftwich at best, mediocre. His mechanics, even if he works hard just like Campbell and Leftwich work hard, will remain fundamentally flawed, in my opinion. That's why I wrote "Tebow will be the same".

Hey buddy, I'm not one of the types who are guaranteeing Tebow won't make it. If you look at what I posted, I said even with being coached up, he will still be like Campbell or Leftwich at best, mediocre. His mechanics, even if he works hard just like Campbell and Leftwich work hard, will remain fundamentally flawed, in my opinion. That's why I wrote "Tebow will be the same".

That's cool, but i'm not saying that he's gonna be great.

Basically, your response isn't about my position on Tebow.

All i've said was that its premature to write the dude as 'he can't make it'.

I have no idea how he'll do as a pro and never made any claims as to how he'll perform, because imo its as much a matter of situation as ability.

All i've said is that he'll drafted before the 5th round and not as an H-back.

HTTR!

You know what I wanna know? Since everyone is going with the "I'll trust Shanny/Allen decision". What if Shanny/Allen do decide that Tebow is our franchise QB? Would you all consider this franchise a joke and blame Snyder? I personally think Tebow is being bashed soooo badly, that when he starts his NFL career as a "QB", he will become the next greatest "winning QB", and make everyone eat crow. I mean notice how majority of the QBs who came out of college with HUGH arms (J. Russell) & others before him who were overhyped to death turned out. This is probably the only winniest/hiesman winner/ passionate/ leader QB I've ever seen, get bashed so bad, to where people are CLAIMING he will have to play another position after only playing one position throughout his life. I hope we draft him. That way we could trade back pickup Oline for him, and a RB.
How many UF games did you catch over in Amsterdam?

I personally think Tebow is being bashed soooo badly, that when he starts his NFL career as a "QB", he will become the next greatest "winning QB", and make everyone eat crow.

Do you personally think that Taylor Mays is being bashed soooo badly, that when he starts his NFL career as a safety, he will become the next great winning safety, and make everyone eat crow?

That's cool, but i'm not saying that he's gonna be great.

Basically, your response isn't about my position on Tebow.

All i've said was that its premature to write the dude as 'he can't make it'.

I have no idea how he'll do as a pro and never made any claims as to how he'll perform, because imo its as much a matter of situation as ability.

All i've said is that he'll drafted before the 5th round and not as an H-back.

HTTR!

What does it matter what position he is designated at when he is drafted? If they say Tim Tebow SS Florida does that make him a strong safety? With an athlete like Tebow that doesn't have a true position you are drafting the player and the position will come later.

Ever heard of Eric Crouch?

Tebow has been patronized for all his life. Put on a pedestal. That commercial to air at the Super Bowl is just another example. Yes, he is holier than thou.

Why the commercial referance? Little bit of hate goin' on? How has he been patronized??? He won the games, made the passes, ran for the yards. Oh, wait did the defenders part like the Red Sea to let him, pass like he was Moses?

Get over the commercial. If he has the money backing it wouldn't it be akin to censorship to prevent it? It's not a message of hate, just belief, of which millions happen to share.

Obviously he IS holier than thou.

Archived