Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rivals.com: Tim Tebow not looking good in Senior Bowl practice

bird_1972

You must not be watching the NFL Network's coverage of the Senior Bowl because Mayock has applauded Tebow for showing up, but has crushed him in terms of his ability to play QB.

I'm sorry bro, but this plan just ain't true.

I didn't get to watch day 3 but during day 2 Mayock critiqued Tebow like any other player because that's his job.

He did not 'crush' his ability to play QB.

I don't think you watched, go back and watch the links i posted Mayock's breakdown of Tebow is one of the clips and he does not say that Tebow can't play QB.

The guy whose opinion should matter most is Kyle Shanahans and when he says that you have to cater your offense around somebody that isn't even remotely a sure thing if you don't want to be fired I would tend to think that Tebow will not be successful in the NFL as a QB.

Huh?

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Huh?

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Kyle Shanahan said that any team that takes Tebow thinking they can change him might as well pack their bags because they will be fired when he and they fail. He suggested that the only way that Tebow will survive in the NFL is if a team caters their entire offense around him. And this coming from somebody that is actually pulling a paycheck from a NFL team not just some talking head.

If we take OT in round 1 and tenure JC I would be ok with us taking Tebow in the 2nd.

I hate the Gators but I would actually be ok with this scenario. Although I think drafting a guard in the 2nd round would be a better choice given what should be on the board I have a feeling this kid is going to be a franchise QB some day.

He is just too determined not to fail @ QB to let it happen and under Shanahan I think this could be a great learning situation for him assuming we tender Jason. No doubt he would be the hardest working guy on the team and would bring a sense of team back to the Skins offense that we have been sorely missing, not to mention if he had to step in for Jason barring an injury in year one I would much rather have him back there than fragile asses like Claussen or Bradford.

My only concern for Tebow is I hope he doesn't show up for the NFL draft in NY and sit there for 4 hours of getting getting passed over. I would feel awful for him. I have read all the rumors that Jax wont let him pass by them in the 1st round but I can't really see him being worth a 1st round pick no matter how many ticket sales it generates.

I'm sorry, but this whole too determined to fail thing is ridiculous imo. I'm sure Danny Wuerffel, Gino Torreta, Eric Crouch, Tommie Fraizer, etc were determined too. And they sucked and continued to suck. You either have it or you don't.

I dunno man, potential only goes so far, we only need look at Campbell for that. Plus anyone who has watched how this kid reacts to losing knows he is in a whole different galaxy than most normal people. You know when you draft this kid you are getting someone who is going to give everything he has to learn and improve everyday. No going to be out drinking or trolling for broads down at the clubs. He would basically be handcuffed to Shanny 24 hours a day if he comes here.

I dont mind Bradford but I just can't see us spending the 4th overall pick on a QB who barely played this season and if its the 2nd round we start looking QB I would take this kid over Colt McCoy especially after that nat'l championship performance.

Hard work is nothing if you don't have the potential/ability. Period. And potential/ability is nothing if you don't put in the hard work. You need both. Tebow, God bless him, only has one. Thus he will fail.

And I seriously might put myself in football fandom exile if the Skins draft Tebow. The Cult of Colt is all I can handle. I can't imagine a Temple of Tebow.

I dunno man, potential only goes so far, we only need look at Campbell for that. Plus anyone who has watched how this kid reacts to losing knows he is in a whole different galaxy than most normal people. You know when you draft this kid you are getting someone who is going to give everything he has to learn and improve everyday. No going to be out drinking or trolling for broads down at the clubs. He would basically be handcuffed to Shanny 24 hours a day if he comes here.

I dont mind Bradford but I just can't see us spending the 4th overall pick on a QB who barely played this season and if its the 2nd round we start looking QB I would take this kid over Colt McCoy especially after that nat'l championship performance.

Have you read this thread and seen how he's been looking at the Senior Bowl?

The South team coaches called for him to throw 2 passes yesterday in 11 on 11 drills, and the only one that was caught was thrown out of bounds. But he did fumble and throw a couple near INTs.

He can have however much willpower he wants to be an every down QB in the NFL, but that doesn't mean anything when he's turning 3 step drops into 5 shuffle step drops and stepping outwards instead of in while shot putting the football downfield.

You'd take Tebow over McCoy because of a freak dead arm injury despite the fact that McCoy is leaps and bounds ahead of Tebow? And it doesn't bother you that Bradford's injury was a lot worse than Colt's? Alrighty then.

You go on and let a guy who struggled mightily against two NFL style defenses this year (Tennessee and Alabama) try to will himself some wins in the NFL even though he can't throw a ball very well and his mechanics give DLineman some low hanging fruit to aim for.

btw, Bradford and McCoy are also big Jesus lovers, if that makes anyone in the thread feel better about possibly taking them over Tebow:

So yeah, probably HUGE "leadership and great work ethic and moral value and determination" and all that for them too...

Kyle Shanahan said that any team that takes Tebow thinking they can change him might as well pack their bags because they will be fired when he and they fail. He suggested that the only way that Tebow will survive in the NFL is if a team caters their entire offense around him. And this coming from somebody that is actually pulling a paycheck from a NFL team not just some talking head.

When did Kyle say this?

I agree with him though the plan shouldn't be to draft Tebow and change him and fit a square peg into a round hole.

All good coaches shape their offense around their QB.

Mike S. said this day 1 you build the offense around the QB.

Dungy and Gruden have basically said the same thing as Kyle:

Dungy said. "Tim Tebow doesn't have the classic throwing motion, he doesn't have the accuracy, maybe, right now that some people are looking for, but I think when he gets into a pro system that really stresses throwing the ball accurately, the big thing is he makes the people around him better. And he's won. ... I think he's going to be a great player in the NFL."

One of the knocks on Tebow is that during his stellar career in Florida's spread offense, he's never been asked to make the kinds of throws that quarterbacks in prototypical NFL offenses have to make. But Dungy said a good coach can take advantage of Tebow's strengths.

"Is it ever going to be Peyton Manning-ish? Maybe not," Dungy said of Tebow's throwing motion. "But I just think what you can do with him, the problems he creates for a defense, the combination of leadership and what he's shown, if I have him, defenses have to prepare for a totally different offense. ... He's going to give teams the most headaches getting ready for him."

Gruden is a bit more effusive borderline in love, lol

Tebow is the kind of guy who could revolutionize the game. He's the 'wildcat' who can throw.

The successful coaches are the ones that find a good scheme to place around the QB.

And don't get me wrong i'm not saying Tebow should be a 1st or 2nd round pick. I don't care. Tebow isn't even the QB i like the most in the draft.

The only thing is was disagree with is this notion that he won't succeed as an NFL QB and that he'll be drafted in the 5th round.

QB

Oh DG, noooo.. Anyone but Tebow. We have to agree on something don't we? I just don't see his skillset transferring to the NFL, outside of a role player. I don't believe he could be a full-time QB. A gadget player that could run some wildcat, and some unique spread sets, most definitely, but not the starting Qb of an NFL team.

When did Kyle say this?

I agree with him though the plan shouldn't be to draft Tebow and change him and fit a square peg into a round hole.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7253351&postcount=75

It's cool that guys that aren't in charge of NFL offenses anymore think that Tebow has a shot, but when a guy pulling a paycheck says he is going to fail it should hold more weight. And the problem with Gruden's quote is that Tebow throws the ball about as well as some of the running backs in the wildcat only he doesn't have their running ability.

Sorry, Tebow is a great guy, but that only takes you so far.

He needs to seriously start learning other possible positions if he really wants to succeed in the NFL. Maybe he can be a decent wildcat QB, but the wildcat isn't used every play and eventually teams will see that Tebow will likely run out of it more than throw...and when he does throw they will eat that long motion up.

If after all the reviews and years of watching him, some of you guys still think he's going to be a successful every down QB in the NFL...then you just have a love affair for the guy. It's a shame we haven't seen him play other positions because he would be a great addition to any team if he was able to develop an NFL skillset at TE or H-Back or something.

What did he say?

Basically what I've been saying the whole time. He has a good arm, and exceptional intangibles, and though he has mechanical problems, they can be overcome. He said that Tebow compares to Vince Young in this respect, and that he'd have to go the right team, but if they develop him and clean him up a bit, and tailor the offense a bit around his strengths, he can be a successful NFL QB.

Edit: He also said that Tebow is on the second tier with McCoy and below Clausen and Bradford, but that the guys on the second tier are ahead of players like Pike and LeFevour. Which I mostly agree with, except I'd put Bradford below Clausen.

Basically what I've been saying the whole time. He has a good enough arm, and exceptional intangibles, and though he has mechanical problems, they can be overcome. He said that Tebow compares to Vince Young in this respect, and that he'd have to go the right team, but if they develop him and clean him up a bit, and tailor the offense a bit around his strengths, he can be a successful NFL QB.

Cool.

I'd like to see him succeed.

He'll have to sit and learn for a couple of season no matter where he goes.

Cool.

I'd like to see him succeed.

He'll have to sit and learn for a couple of season no matter where he goes.

Absolutely. It's obvious, especially if you're to believe the word coming out of Mobile, that he's not ready to run an NFL offense at this point. Hopefully, for his sake, Philly or New England will take him.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7253351&postcount=75

It's cool that guys that aren't in charge of NFL offenses anymore think that Tebow has a shot, but when a guy pulling a paycheck says he is going to fail it should hold more weight. And the problem with Gruden's quote is that Tebow throws the ball about as well as some of the running backs in the wildcat only he doesn't have their running ability.

The main problem with Gruden's quote is that Gruden demonstrated in Tampa that he doesn't actually know **** about selecting or especially developing QBs in the NFL. I'd throw his opinion out of any discussion on any QB, no matter what side he's on.

The main problem with Gruden's quote is that Gruden demonstrated in Tampa that he doesn't actually know **** about selecting or especially developing QBs in the NFL. I'd throw his opinion out of any discussion on any QB, no matter what side he's on.

First of all, just like to direct everyone's attention to NFLN right now. Tebow's moving the ball pretty well right now.

Also, Gruden didn't really ever have much to work with as far as QBs go. That might be some of his own doing, just saying.

Archived