Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Shanahan the perfect coach for Colt Brennan?

kingdaddy

Is the Earth better off without us? (public)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth better off without us? (public)

• We make zero difference to anything on the planet
    • whatever.
    • yes, it would be better off.

Do you have any valid links to these people who didn't want Colt because of his college career? But then answer this: why some people here are so in love with Bradford who also comes from a spread style offense?

The draft sort of speaks for itself as far as coaches and GMs having concerns about Colt and probably the system he played in, etc.

As far as Bradford goes, I'm not really a huge fan (at least not of taking him at 4) but I would think there are a few things. One is simply the fact that he played at a big name college in the Big 12 and not the WAC. Doesn't necessarily mean that much as far as I'm concerned, since the Big 12 is pretty notorious for not playing much defense. But he at least has played against higher level competition. Another is probably his mechanics. They definitely aren't perfect, but they are more "NFL style" than Colt's. And while the system Bradford plays in is definitely a spread system and QB friendly I would say it is closer to a pro style system than the run and shoot, which is pretty notorious for being a gimick offense that inflates QB stats.

Either way, I'm really not that high on Bradford anyway.

Apparently you don't remember after JG left TC was not sure if he would like to come back and that's when he was convinced to come back with more money for the backup job.

....and the fact the Skins paid Todd more then Jason combined in 2008-09 mean nothing. :D

The draft sort of speaks for itself as far as coaches and GMs having concerns about Colt and probably the system he played in, etc.

As far as Bradford goes, I'm not really a huge fan (at least not of taking him at 4) but I would think there are a few things. One is simply the fact that he played at a big name college in the Big 12 and not the WAC. Doesn't necessarily mean that much as far as I'm concerned, since the Big 12 is pretty notorious for not playing much defense. But he at least has played against higher level competition. Another is probably his mechanics. They definitely aren't perfect, but they are more "NFL style" than Colt's. And while the system Bradford plays in is definitely a spread system and QB friendly I would say it is closer to a pro style system than the run and shoot, which is pretty notorious for being a gimick offense that inflates QB stats.

Either way, I'm really not that high on Bradford anyway.

We all know why his stock dropped which has been discussed to nauseaism.

As far as Bradford goes he is the same size as Colt but at least Colt has 2 more years on him in the NFL and could easily beat him and is 10% more accurate then him anyways. So to me it is a waste of a pick at #4 when we really need to trade down and get more picks to fortified our OL first.

I still can't believe the following that Colt Brennan has among Redskin fans. This was a Vinny Cerrato 6th round draft pick. That's a 6th round draft pick. Made by Vinny Cerrato.

That said, if anyone can get something out of Colt I imagine it would be Shanahan. Although I think he's more likely to cut Colt than play him.

I still can't believe the following that Colt Brennan has among Redskin fans. This was a Vinny Cerrato 6th round draft pick. That's a 6th round draft pick. Made by Vinny Cerrato.

That said, if anyone can get something out of Colt I imagine it would be Shanahan. Although I think he's more likely to cut Colt than play him.

I think you just insulted the Matt Cassells and Tom Bradys of this world. ;) Or any other QB that I didn't mention. And please don't jump on me for saying I am comparing Tom to Colt but merely pointing out you never know what you have. :)

Why do you think Shanny will cut him?

colt not getting on the field first of all has a lot to do with him not being able to get healthy since he entered the league. his frame could be responsible and it was certainly one of the knocks on him out of college.

and colt was a fun project for Zorn that just didn't work out. zorn was a west coast guy and thought he could make a name for himself if he was able to groom his own qb. it didn't work and now we're stuck with a guy who is still a project in his 3rd year at the age of 27 as someone already remarked.

no one else wanted colt because his whole college career is on track for NFL failure, he has everything wrong with him that stops people from drafting spread/gimick qbs.

this is a team game and it is about putting the best people on the field. and if you think danny is patient enough to put a player on the field who is worse than his backup and watch us lose than you haven't been paying attention.

We all heard this XXXX before. We shall see if that is the case or not. Let the best man win.

We all heard this XXXX before. We shall see if that is the case or not. Let the best man win.

if colt brennan is the starter for the redskins i will root for him. i'm not like some of the ridiculous brennan fans who only root for a player and not the team.

the fact is, colt has never gotten off the bench for this team and it is extremely far fetched that he will be the starter or even make the team.

what i can't stand is the useless speculation and all the crap about how a kid who has shown nothing is better than a guy who starts in the nfl. there is no comparison between colt brennan and anyone in the nfl who starts.

I think you just insulted the Matt Cassells and Tom Bradys of this world. ;) Or any other QB that I didn't mention.

Did Vinny Cerrato draft Matt Cassell and Tom Brady? Because that was the main point behind that guy's post...that a 6th round draft pick chosen by Vinny Cerrato who has yet to play a down in a regular season game has such a huge following.

If you don't know about a player's health then you shouldn't speak. It was reaveled to us his injury was due to genetically longer hip bone pinching his nerve. But you go ahead and put a blinder on your eyes all you want but that doesn't change the facts.

:applause: truth

Maybe Colt was 3rd string because JC was given the starter position without competition.

Colt was 3rd string because he's a developmental QB.

He was not ready to compete for the 2nd QB spot as a rookie.

And when he had the chance in his second year his performance and injury prevented him.

Collins as of right now is the best QB on our roster, you just can't build a future around him. Collins has been the best QB we've had the last few years. So naturally you'll have Brennan at 3rd. Now that Shanahan doesn't have to stick with JC, Colt may move his way up. JC has hit his ceiling. We've stuck with him for too long already. Gibbs overreached by drafting JC in the 1st round.

Its not even worth arguing about but i disagree with everything in your post.

Except that Colt may have a chance to move up from the 3rd QB spot. But, Colt is going to have to play much better then he has to this point.

HTTR!

If you don't know about a player's health then you shouldn't speak. It was reveled to us his injury was due to genetically longer hip bone pinching his nerve. But you go ahead and put a blinder on your eyes all you want but that doesn't change the facts.

Why do you always only mention the genetic hip surgery, but you never mention the surgery for the torn hamstring or the knee surgery for torn cartilage. Those two injuries/surgeries are a bigger concern to me than surgery for a condition that Colt had from birth. The knee surgery happened in training camp, not even in a game. And the hamstring injury was against 2nd and 3rd stringers. The best news I heard about Colt while on IR was that he was working out and trying to bulk up.

The sad truth is that in an even competition (both playing behind first string) ... Colt would have embarrassed Jason ... the Campbell lovers will never admit to this. I'm confident Shanny will make the right choice and it won't be Campbell.

Hahaha getting a little ridiculous in here, I want a new QB on this team as much as the next guy, but to honestly say Colt would have embarrassed Jason in a even compitition...Honestly? Colt regressed badly in his second preseason, he threw bad int's and made huge mental lapses reading defense's. He showed he can make a play occasionally but he is very raw still and needs major coaching. Campbell on the other hand is a legitimate starter in this league, while not the best, he is MUCH better than Colt

Campbell on the other hand is a legitimate starter in this league, while not the best, he is MUCH better than Colt

OK! Great if thats who you guys want starting for the skins. See you guys next year same place! Then you guys will be still rooting for JC. :chair:

Even MS can't perform a miracle out of JC.

OK! Great if thats who you guys want starting for the skins. See you guys next year same place! Then you guys will be still rooting for JC. :chair:

Even MS can't perform a miracle out of JC.

If by some twilight zone chance Colt starts for the Resdkins next years i will root for him, no doubt. I just dont think he is a good QB if he was he would at least be our #2 but alas he isn't, and has proved nothing to anyone out side of college yet people speak of him as if he is the next coming of _______ insert HOF name here. I root for the Skins QB, who will hopefully be Bradford

Howdy Howdy Howdy Everyone.

Most of you know where I stand in regards to Brennen, but a couple of points id like to bring up:

Colt was projected to be a first round pick before he decided to stay for his senior year. If he had decided to go to the NFL a year earlier, he would never have landed on the Redskins. Talent just doesn't disappear a year later. I'm thrilled we have someone like Brennen on our roster, and even more thrilled that we got him for such a steal. I really want him to stick around and hope he gets a chance to compete next year, and think he has much more to immediatley offer the Redskins than a 1st round QB.

From Wikipedia:

Some of Brennen's achievements include:

Second all-time in most career touchdowns responsible for (146). Achieved November 23, 2007.

NCAA record for most 400 yard games (20). Achieved in 2007.

Tied NCAA record for most career touchdown passes by a quarterback-receiver combination (39 to Davone Bess). Achieved November 23, 2007.

NCAA single-season record for most touchdown passes, achieved in 2006 (58)

NCAA two-season record for most touchdown passes, (96, achieved 2006-2007)

NCAA record for passing efficiency (season), posting a 186.0 mark in 2006

NCAA record for most points responsible for (season) with 385. (2006)

NCAA record for highest pass completion percentage (70.4%).

Second all-time in career touchdown passes (131) behind Graham Harrell.

Fourth all-time in total passing yards with 14,193 behind Graham Harrell, Ty Detmer and Timmy Chang.

To me, these stats are more impressive than any QB that's coming out this year. It doesn't matter what the system is, 70% completion percentage means hes extremely accurate. That doesn't just go away once you reach the NFL.

He also has 2 more years of exposure dealing with NFL level offensive and defensive systems, which also gives him an edge over any QB we'd draft this year. Yes, I know its from the bench and in preseason games, but limited experience is still more than no experience, which is what a rookie QB would have.

People here are quick to point out that he was a "project QB", but then call him a bust or write him off because he hasn't already overtaken a 5 year, first round QB pick? I think after his first preseason expectations for him got out of control, but I honestly think if hes given a chance he absolutley has all the tools necessary to succeed in the NFL.

His second preseason was definitley not as steller, but looking at it honestly, did he really play so horribly that he deserves to be written off completley? Or did he just look like any other young QB? managing the games fairly well, if unspectacularly, with occasional poor reads? Hell, this could describe Sanchez, Ryan, Flacco, or any number of young QB's who have looked terrible in games this year too. It takes time for players to get used to the NFL.

If we draft a QB in this draft, he'll do exactly what Brennen has been doing for the past 2 years, sit on the depth chart and learn the system while adjusting to the NFL. And no one I've seen so far has nearly as impressive a resume.

It seems like alot of people are willing to draft a QB out of college and let the team 'groom" him for a few years, but knock Brennen even though that's exactly what the team has done with him so far. They could have gotten rid of him last year, instead they put him on IR and continued to pay him and let him develop.

Why is it if a team drafts a QB in the 1st round but doesn't immediatley start him, he's an investment who just needs to get brought up to speed, but if they get one in the 6th round (one with a first rounders resume) and don't start him its because "he just doesn't have what it takes, and never will"

This past season was Campbell's chance to show the franchise whether he was worth the investment the team had made in him. Even if Colt had played perfect in preseason, I truly think Campbell would have been the starter.

And given the choice between a young raw player who likes to take chances, or a veteran system QB who had more time and experience with the Redskins, the safer play for backup was Collins. I truly believe that Collins offered more of a security blanket for Campbell and Zorn, because his past NFL experience meant hed know how to deal with our atrocious line better than Brennen.

Also, if Zorn was interested in making Brennen the eventual starter for the Redskins, there was no logical upside to playing him behind this line while Campbell was still on the roster. The logical choice was to go with the bigger, stronger, more durable QB, even though it meant sacrificing accuracy and the ability to make quick throws. My opinion is that if Zorn was kept for another year, we would have seen the line beefed up more this offseason. Then, when there was a decent level of protection, he could use his smaller, quicker, more accurate QB.

Bottom line, I wish Brennen the best of luck next year. To me, he has the most impressive resume and definitley gets the crowd and players pumped up for games. I hope Shannahan gives him a chance.

Why do you always only mention the genetic hip surgery, but you never mention the surgery for the torn hamstring or the knee surgery for torn cartilage. Those two injuries/surgeries are a bigger concern to me than surgery for a condition that Colt had from birth. The knee surgery happened in training camp, not even in a game. And the hamstring injury was against 2nd and 3rd stringers. The best news I heard about Colt while on IR was that he was working out and trying to bulk up.

And do you realize that the hamstring injury was a problem due to his hips. Not making this up. Read this: "He was going to miss some substantial time," executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said. "The hip seems to cause him hamstring problems."

The knee thing I did forget but that was not aggravating him during the pre-seasons.

every qb oakland has on the roster is better than colt brennan in the nfl.

even jamarcus.

LOL. Forget Colt, Jabronie Russell is going to lead Oakland to the SB and is ushering in the second coming for the Redskins for Russell fans. :silly:

Haven't had much time to follow Otis, Frye, and Losman, but I think Colt could hold his own against them....

Colt needs to man-up and earn his spot on the team. If he is let go, so be it. I trust Shanny & Co. will make the right decision. If Shanny keeps him on in any capacity Colt will develop into a better QB.

Can someone explain the Colt thing to me. From what I have seen in practice he is years behind JC or TC. He is a technical mess; footwork, delivery, etc. No matter what, he would lock on to recievers and throw into double of triple coverage. He was intercepted as often as he completed a pass. Watching Zorn's expression after some of the passes was priceless. Last years preseason was nothing to write home about. I did not follow him in college and I really do not care what he did at that level. From what I have seen, I expect Colt will not be playing football in the NFL again. I am not trying to be disrespectfull but what am I missing here?

Can someone explain the Colt thing to me. From what I have seen in practice he is years behind JC or TC. He is a technical mess; footwork, delivery, etc. No matter what, he would lock on to recievers and throw into double of triple coverage. He was intercepted as often as he completed a pass. Watching Zorn's expression after some of the passes was priceless. Last years preseason was nothing to write home about. I did not follow him in college and I really do not care what he did at that level. From what I have seen, I expect Colt will not be playing football in the NFL again. I am not trying to be disrespectfull but what am I missing here?

Nothing. You're 100 percent right.

I'm as clueless as you are. I just don't get it. He was awful this past preseason. Who cares about what he did in college? He was taken in the sixth for a reason. 31 other teams had a chance for him at least five times, as did we, and they didn't take him.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a shot, but the obsession with him is disturbing.

You may not be missing anything, but, you may also be premature in writing Brennan off. The people, like myself, who want to see Brennan get a shot with the first team offense have seen enough of Campbell to know that he is lacking in field vision, pocket presence and overall play making ability. We want to see a QB play with some fire and desperation to make a play. The point of this thread is that Shanahan seems to have a history of being able to make borderline QB's very serviceable on good teams. I think most people who want to see Brennan given a shot are intrigued by his college passing numbers, gunslinger mentality, as opposed to Jason Camplbells expressionless looks and failure to "make something out of nothing" when plays don't go perfectly.

I also think most Brennan supporters won't be shocked is he is cut by Shanahan but we remain optimistic that Shanahan will see something in CB5 and give him a fighting chance to show what he can do. We know what JC can do and aren't all that impressed so far. Why not look at a college decorated QB who will be in his 3rd year in the NFL and whom you spent a draft pick on? What does a 4-12 team have to lose by doing this? If he stinks the joint out then release him. But Colt does have some intangibles that are different than what JC offers.

Howdy Howdy Howdy Everyone.

Most of you know where I stand in regards to Brennen, but a couple of points id like to bring up:

Colt was projected to be a first round pick before he decided to stay for his senior year. If he had decided to go to the NFL a year earlier, he would never have landed on the Redskins. Talent just doesn't disappear a year later. I'm thrilled we have someone like Brennen on our roster, and even more thrilled that we got him for such a steal. I really want him to stick around and hope he gets a chance to compete next year, and think he has much more to immediatley offer the Redskins than a 1st round QB.

From Wikipedia:

Some of Brennen's achievements include:

Second all-time in most career touchdowns responsible for (146). Achieved November 23, 2007.

NCAA record for most 400 yard games (20). Achieved in 2007.

Tied NCAA record for most career touchdown passes by a quarterback-receiver combination (39 to Davone Bess). Achieved November 23, 2007.

NCAA single-season record for most touchdown passes, achieved in 2006 (58)

NCAA two-season record for most touchdown passes, (96, achieved 2006-2007)

NCAA record for passing efficiency (season), posting a 186.0 mark in 2006

NCAA record for most points responsible for (season) with 385. (2006)

NCAA record for highest pass completion percentage (70.4%).

Second all-time in career touchdown passes (131) behind Graham Harrell.

Fourth all-time in total passing yards with 14,193 behind Graham Harrell, Ty Detmer and Timmy Chang.

To me, these stats are more impressive than any QB that's coming out this year. It doesn't matter what the system is, 70% completion percentage means hes extremely accurate. That doesn't just go away once you reach the NFL.

He also has 2 more years of exposure dealing with NFL level offensive and defensive systems, which also gives him an edge over any QB we'd draft this year. Yes, I know its from the bench and in preseason games, but limited experience is still more than no experience, which is what a rookie QB would have.

People here are quick to point out that he was a "project QB", but then call him a bust or write him off because he hasn't already overtaken a 5 year, first round QB pick? I think after his first preseason expectations for him got out of control, but I honestly think if hes given a chance he absolutley has all the tools necessary to succeed in the NFL.

His second preseason was definitley not as steller, but looking at it honestly, did he really play so horribly that he deserves to be written off completley? Or did he just look like any other young QB? managing the games fairly well, if unspectacularly, with occasional poor reads? Hell, this could describe Sanchez, Ryan, Flacco, or any number of young QB's who have looked terrible in games this year too. It takes time for players to get used to the NFL.

If we draft a QB in this draft, he'll do exactly what Brennen has been doing for the past 2 years, sit on the depth chart and learn the system while adjusting to the NFL. And no one I've seen so far has nearly as impressive a resume.

It seems like alot of people are willing to draft a QB out of college and let the team 'groom" him for a few years, but knock Brennen even though that's exactly what the team has done with him so far. They could have gotten rid of him last year, instead they put him on IR and continued to pay him and let him develop.

Why is it if a team drafts a QB in the 1st round but doesn't immediatley start him, he's an investment who just needs to get brought up to speed, but if they get one in the 6th round (one with a first rounders resume) and don't start him its because "he just doesn't have what it takes, and never will"

This past season was Campbell's chance to show the franchise whether he was worth the investment the team had made in him. Even if Colt had played perfect in preseason, I truly think Campbell would have been the starter.

And given the choice between a young raw player who likes to take chances, or a veteran system QB who had more time and experience with the Redskins, the safer play for backup was Collins. I truly believe that Collins offered more of a security blanket for Campbell and Zorn, because his past NFL experience meant hed know how to deal with our atrocious line better than Brennen.

Also, if Zorn was interested in making Brennen the eventual starter for the Redskins, there was no logical upside to playing him behind this line while Campbell was still on the roster. The logical choice was to go with the bigger, stronger, more durable QB, even though it meant sacrificing accuracy and the ability to make quick throws. My opinion is that if Zorn was kept for another year, we would have seen the line beefed up more this offseason. Then, when there was a decent level of protection, he could use his smaller, quicker, more accurate QB.

Bottom line, I wish Brennen the best of luck next year. To me, he has the most impressive resume and definitley gets the crowd and players pumped up for games. I hope Shannahan gives him a chance.

Thank you, +1. Brennan was the most accurate QB in the history of NCAA despite the fact that the opponents Colt played knew that 90% of the time the ball would be thown. Now that's impressive.

Thank you, +1. Brennan was the most accurate QB in the history of NCAA despite the fact that the opponents Colt played knew that 90% of the time the ball would be thown. Now that's impressive.

In the future, don't quote large blocks of text. :)

As for Brennan, if he were so good, then why was he taken so late?

Archived