Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Shanahan the perfect coach for Colt Brennan?

kingdaddy

Is the Earth better off without us? (public)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth better off without us? (public)

• We make zero difference to anything on the planet
    • whatever.
    • yes, it would be better off.

You are right. The only known quality on the Redskins is Jason Campbell. We know everything about him that we can ever want to know.

Yet another who somehow feels every post about Colt that's not gushing in praise is really a post about Campbell lol...I'm back to hoping Colt gets cut from the team now, thanks a lot. ;)

September 1, 2009:

ESPN’s John Clayton writes that the “best guess” for the next Matt Cassel is “is Brett Ratliff of the Cleveland Browns, nudging out Matt Moore of the Panthers and possibly Colt Brennan of the Redskins … Finding the next Cassel is a guessing game. In Carolina, the Panthers believe they are developing another Tony Romo sits to pee in Moore. Brennan has shown a flair for moving the football in his time on the field during the preseason.”

And, some of you think Shanahan is not going to take a strong look at Brennan? Are you nuts?

Do you REALLY want people to trot out all the comments from media members and football analysts who say that Colt will never be anything other than maybe a back up at best, and pretend that somehow proves the opposite point of view? Really? lol...

From what it appeared to me, #2 was not even open for competition. It was Collins the whole time. Zorn and/or Cerrato both felt that we had a playoff roster and having a vet as the #2 was the primary need. Colt was IR'd immediately with no attempt at bringing in another third stringer. That seems like enough evidence.

Oh, Colt was given every chance to win it, and it was stated before the preseason games as well...they wanted to see marked improvement from Colt in the preseason and instead he **** the bed in the first two preseason games. By the 3rd preseason game the coaches seemed set that Colt was not going to surpass Collins and thus spent their time evaluating Colt vs Chase instead (and giving Campbell more practice because he needed it).

Yet another who somehow feels every post about Colt that's not gushing in praise is really a post about Campbell lol...I'm back to hoping Colt gets cut from the team now, thanks a lot. ;)

Do you REALLY want people to trot out all the comments from media members and football analysts who say that Colt will never be anything other than maybe a back up at best, and pretend that somehow proves the opposite point of view? Really? lol...

Sure. Why not.

Regardless of your effort to discount my opinion, I've been a Skins season ticketholder for 32 years. I was a season ticketholder for the University of Hawaii too during Colt's record setting year. I can say, in all probability, that I have seen more plays of both Campbell and Brennan than most.

And, I think Brennan has greater potential.

What I find wild is the blind homerism towards anyone wearing B&G except Colt brennan.

:hysterical:

Are you kidding? lol :rotflmao:..

Perhaps you've missed the 287 "trade Cooley" threads, the 492 "time to dump Portis" threads, the 1,299 "Landry is a bust" threads, and the infinite number of "Campbell is the worst QB in the entire NFL" posts, threads, polls and t-shirts lol. Colt is the ONLY Skins player who has a freakin' cult named after him even though he's never played a single down of regular season football and spent his entire 2nd season in the league on IR!! :rotflmao:...

Seriously, try again lol :yes:

Sure. Why not.

Regardless of your effort to discount my opinion, I've been a Skins season ticketholder for 32 years. I was a season ticketholder for the University of Hawaii too during Colt's record setting year. I can say, in all probability, that I have seen more plays of both Campbell and Brennan than most.

And, I think Brennan has greater potential.

That's great. Wonderful.

That, however, in no way invalidates my comment about using ONE commented blurb about Colt as "proof" that it's ridiculous for anyone to think Shanahan might not even want to keep Colt lol...

Then why did they keep him on the roster? If he is so far behind don't you just release him?

Don't put words in my mouth.

Colt isn't far behind from a developmental standpoint he's right where most sane football expect from a developmental QB 3rd string.

But, if you only want look at QBs in terms of ability to start and win a NFL game then yes last year Colt was far behind.

You don't release a QB you're developing it kinda defeats the purpose.

JC was "head and shoulders better than Collins and Colt?" I don't think so.

Look dude i'm telling what anyone who went to training camp over the past 2 seasons can tell you.

The 1st training camp the difference between Campbell, Collins and Brennan were so clearly evident, one would have to be crazy to think either on was a credible threat to Campbell.

Collins looked much better the second training camp and it turns out he may have been hurt or had dead arm last camp. But, Campbell still looked better and again Colt was clearly developing.

I think Collins has a quicker release and see's the entire field much better than JC. One of the obvious downfalls to Zorn was that he didn't give Collins a chance.

Dude, google the sports media comments about Collins during training camp. Everyone mentioned that Collins struggled during the 1st camp, Zorn would have been more crazy then he turned out be to give Collins a chance to be the starter based on how he looked during training camp.

That's why I think Brennan may do better under a new head coach such as Shanahan.

I don't understand what you mean by 'do better'?

Brennan needs to play better to stick around.

Zorn may not be a good HC or a good OC but he's a well respected QB coach; i doubt that Zorn's guidance hindered Brennan from performing better during training camp and preseason games.

Guys like you who say posts or suggestions are laughable are laughable to me. Just because you saw a guy play in training camp makes you qualified to say what kind of pro they'll be under a new coaching staff. I'm sure you like to hear yourself sing in the shower everyday too.

Whatever floats your boat.

Imo actually seeing them play at training camp does imo make me more qualified then someone who writes this:

Originally Posted by Gregpeck99 viewpost.gif

The sad truth is that in an even competition (both playing behind first string) ... Colt would have embarrassed Jason ... the Campbell lovers will never admit to this. I'm confident Shanny will make the right choice and it won't be Campbell.

I'm reminding the poster of the truth of the matter.

Colt Brennan was not a credible threat to Jason Campbell, he wasn't even a credible threat to Todd Collins.

Yet, Gregpeck99 believes that Colt could have 'embarrassed' Jason and that just doesn't make any logical sense.

BTW-Just so you know i like Brennan but i'm a realist.

He's a 3rd string developmental QB from the old regime.

Colt is gonna have to play darn well during training camp to stick around.

And i'll be rooting for him.

The preseason, once again, was all about Jason Campbell. He was given the job, but still didn't have the confidence of coaches. Collins hardly played at all. The number 2 job was his. Brennan had limited time. Daniel had limited time.

I hope you're not talking about the preseason games.

Brennan did not have limited time.

Zorn mentioned that Colt would get alot of work during the preseason games and he gave it to him.

Brennan threw more passes during the preseason game then anyone including Campbell.

Dude your love for Colt is clouding your memory.

I'm rooting for Colt Brennan because if he does well it will be good for the Redskins. I'm rooting for Colt Brennan because I love his level of commitment to the game and to winning. If he does well, it will be a lot of fun for all of us.

I'm rooting for Shanahan because it has been a decade of futility, and we need to get it right.

This couldn't have gone in the CofC thread?

The perfect coach for Brennan is one who can fix his mechanics. Whoever that is.

June Jones, who was a NFL coach, left it alone in college. Shanny should not tinker with it as long as CB5 is accurate, because that's what it's all about.

Oh, Colt was given every chance to win it, and it was stated before the preseason games as well...they wanted to see marked improvement from Colt in the preseason and instead he **** the bed in the first two preseason games. By the 3rd preseason game the coaches seemed set that Colt was not going to surpass Collins and thus spent their time evaluating Colt vs Chase instead (and giving Campbell more practice because he needed it).

Collins had a #2 sized contract, and he was a vet on a percieved playoff-caliber roster. Collins had already proven before that he could come off the bench and win big games down the stretch, so he was the #2 no matter what. A "playoff" team needs that in a backup. It makes no sense to have Collins at third string. The Skins screwed themselves when the team was actually crap and never had a third-stringer to develop. A huge blunder on their part. They IR Colt and still don't bring back Chase.

I'm just saying it didn't matter what Colt or any other rookie did, they weren't going to be the second QB, and the roster moves proved that.

Exactly.

I'm in no way a JC fan, but the Cult of Colt stuff... well, I thought it would go away after his terrible showing in training camp and preseason.

Between JC or whatever veteran we bring in if we trade JC, and the rookie QB Shanahan will definitely draft, Colt is really going to have to impress in practice to make the team, something he has yet to do. I mean, he'll be a 27-year-old QB who has never taken a snap in a NFL game -- coaches don't exactly give those guys the benefit of the doubt.

How old is our 2nd string QB?

then why did they keep him on the roster? If he is so far behind don't you just release him?

Jc was "head and shoulders better than collins and colt?" i don't think so. I think collins has a quicker release and see's the entire field much better than jc. One of the obvious downfalls to zorn was that he didn't give collins a chance. That's why i think brennan may do better under a new head coach such as shanahan.

Guys like you who say posts or suggestions are laughable are laughable to me. Just because you saw a guy play in training camp makes you qualified to say what kind of pro they'll be under a new coaching staff. I'm sure you like to hear yourself sing in the shower everyday too.

+1

I think Colt would be great with a fast zone blocking OL and a quick RB like Noel Devine and a banger like Portis.

Well you're going to have to wait until 2011 until that could happen. Devine is going back to WVU for his senior season. By 2011, Shanahan's hand picked rookie QB will be the starting QB. This upcoming season's starter, IMO will just be a stop gap QB until Shanahan rebuilds the o-line and the rookie QB has a chance to learn his offense.

A third stringer who finished the season on IR is all of sudden going to be the Skins starter in 2010? I don't think so.

Once Shanny is done assembling his staff and Shanny, his staff and Bruce and his staff really look at the roster; I expect many changes as possible.

Shanny is going to want his guys and how many of those Zorn/Gibbs holdovers get to become one of Shanny's army remains to be scene but I am pretty sure the Cult of Colt will be switching allegiances to some other team or maybe watch their guy pumping gas at the local citgo!

A third stringer who finished the season on IR is all of sudden going to be the Skins starter in 2010? I don't think so.

Once Shanny is done assembling his staff and Shanny, his staff and Bruce and his staff really look at the roster; I expect many changes as possible.

Shanny is going to want his guys and how many of those Zorn/Gibbs holdovers get to become one of Shanny's army remains to be scene but I am pretty sure the Cult of Colt will be switching allegiances to some other team or maybe watch their guy pumping gas at the local citgo!

Colt has been pumping gas since the age of 10. ;)

Nobody was given a chance at anything.

JC was named the starter before Zorn even saw all three qbs practice.

There was no competition.

Colt was put on IR so he couldn't leave this team, If the coachs thought Colt was

not good enough they could have cut him and let him go instead of putting him on

IR the whole year. There was a hidden reason for this. Redskins could have kept

Chase Daniels when he was playing better than JC, TC and CB in preseason.

To the poster who said Colt's mechanics needed to be "fixed," I think Zorn's micromanagement was probably the last thing Colt needed, and was likely the worst possible fit. Zorn probably prided himself more than anything on his ideas on mechanics, while Colt was already successful with unconventional mechanics (which explains why Colt was much better his original preseason).

The sad part is, in his zeal for wanting to be the Great QB Developer, Zorn might have missed all the best intangible qualities Colt already had to offer. One thing for example, in Colt's first preseason games his first year he already seemed to be ahead of the speed of the NFL game.

Archived