Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Shanahan the perfect coach for Colt Brennan?

kingdaddy

Is the Earth better off without us? (public)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth better off without us? (public)

• We make zero difference to anything on the planet
    • whatever.
    • yes, it would be better off.

I don't think Colt has a body for this league his hip will be a problem for the rest of his career.

And you know this because...?

No way he beats out JC next year though

And you know this because...?

Colt seems, to the naked eye tiny. He also is injury prone. you don't play and you get hurt ... you are injurty prone, even if it is your first injury.

He does not beat out JC because he is not nearly polished enough, his mechanics (per replays and video of them that I have seen) are horrible and will not get better after sitting around hurt for a year.

I didn't realize that Brennan is listed as 6'3, 212 lbs. He has the size and gunslinger mentality. I'd like to see him run out there for a year to see what he can do. JC has had 3 years and we know what he can/can't do. Brennan would be a breath of fresh air.

I really do believe colt will play well , personally imo he moves well in the pocket , he anticipates the rush very well, he is accurate with his passes, he throws a nice ball, he seems to make quick reads , he just needs a chance.

Also he does not pat the ball ( my biggest pet peave JC does)

It seems that everyone is basing there opinion on what Zorn said about Colt when really we don't know what he can do with real coaching and a real offense. Zorn also said Davis,Thomas and Kelly werent ready when clearly they where and just needed playing time. Now that we have real talent evaluators in camp I think Colt and others will have more opportunities to succeed and contribute to the team.

Colt seems, to the naked eye tiny. He also is injury prone. you don't play and you get hurt ... you are injurty prone, even if it is your first injury.

What? He got hurt during preseason - when he was playing. It's my understanding that his surgeries have CORRECTED structural issues with his hip labrums. I don't know if that's true, but how do you know that it isn't?

Not to mention that, at 6'3" 212 lbs, he seems to have sufficient size.

He does not beat out JC because he is not nearly polished enough, his mechanics (per replays and video of them that I have seen) are horrible and will not get better after sitting around hurt for a year.

I think this is short-sighted and full of speculation. He also hasn't been sitting around hurt - it's my understanding that he is pretty much fully recovered.

Campbell has had 5 seasons and has proven to be unproductive - why wouldn't you check out a guy that has had 2 full years of NFL training (albeit under Zorn) after a wildly productive college career? What is it going to hurt to consider him - he's under contract and the new regime can get to know him NOW.

It seems that everyone is basing there opinion on what Zorn said about Colt when really we don't know what he can do with real coaching and a real offense. Zorn also said Davis,Thomas and Kelly werent ready when clearly they where and just needed playing time. Now that we have real talent evaluators in camp I think Colt and others will have more opportunities to succeed and contribute to the team.

Well said.

I don't trust any evaluation from Zorn - not about OL, receivers, RBs, OR QBs. Shanahan is infinitely superior in evaluating offensive personnel.

I wonder why Colt Brennan's college record is more relevant that JC's stats from last year, hum, strange. Anyway I think Colt can be a good back up. The fact he is still on the roster speaks volumes. But honestly Shan is a veteran QB type coach. His patients was limited with Cutler, Plummer, and Griese. If you aren't ready to play, or have off the chart talent, Colt will ride the pine, or wait for a call to be activated.

Well said.

I don't trust any evaluation from Zorn - not about OL, receivers, RBs, OR QBs. Shanahan is infinitely superior in evaluating offensive personnel.

That's about the best post I've read on this topic. Remember CB was the 3rd highest rated passer in preseason 08. He didn't look as good last year after a year of Zorn's coaching, go figure! Becuse I've seen him live so many times I know when he's in sync or not. If he's not NFL caliber, the Shanny's will surely be the one's most qualified to make an honest assessment!

Why is everybody in love with colt the guy had one good preseason 2 years ago and last year he was not that good

Quite an easy answer. CB had impressive stats in college, had a great preseason two years ago, some football minds such as John Madden think very highly of CB and JC stinks; hence, a lot of fans want to see CB get a serious look from Shanahan.

It's a shame that Colt was on IR last year because I think that there was a chance that he may have gotten some game time at the end of the year. Even though Colt is third on the depth chart behind Todd it would have been nice to see what we have in him during a real game. It would have made no sense to go to Todd at that point since he is not a long term answer.

Even if Colt was on the roster in 2009, I doubt if he would have gotten any playing time.

The last game of 2008 against San Francisco was a prime example. Zorn, if he had any real sense, could have given some players like Colt the opportunity to play and win. Instead, he stuck with Campbell and others, and we stunk up the joint and lost. We had a lot to gain and nothing to lose, but Zorn stuck with Campbell.

In 2009, the fact that Collins played only that one brief part of a quarter also is an example. The season went into the tank, with Campbell as a staple.

Let's face it. Zorn had a one track mind.

I think Shanahan will have a more dynamic football intellect. His instincts will be more keen. Winning games will have more importance than whatever else was more important than winning for Zorn. Those traits are perfect for Colt.

Perfect!

Also, I think CB is more charismatic and has more leadership ability than JC. Even when Madden was calling one of our preseason games, he said our o-line looked more energized when Colt stepped in to replace JC and that CB has the "it" factor.

If you look at all the good QBs, they have good charisma and leadership. JC doesn't. JC is emotionless. If Shanahan gives Colt a serious look and doesn't believe he can win with him, I'm fine with that. We just want Colt seriously evaluated.

I think Shanahan will have a more dynamic football intellect. His instincts will be more keen. Winning games will have more importance that whatever else was more important than winning for Zorn.

i don't know who he'll end up starting, but JC's a possibility, just like Colt or a rookie. i have enough confidence in Shanahan that i'll be happy with whomever he chooses.

if, after all is said and done, Shanahan names JC the week 1 starter, would you:

a) lose confidence in Shanahan, or

B) consider that you may have been wrong about JC?

i thought JC would be a top-10 QB by now, so i've already been wrong about him. it's nice to have a head coach whom i can place my full confidence in, though.

Even if Colt was on the roster in 2009, I doubt if he would have gotten any playing time.

The last game of 2008 against San Francisco was a prime example. Zorn, if he had any real sense, could have given some players like Colt the opportunity to play and win. Instead, he stuck with Campbell and others, and we stunk up the joint and lost. We had a lot to gain and nothing to lose, but Zorn stuck with Campbell.

Ah, but we ended up getting the 13th overall pick and we drafted ORAKPO baby!

One thing Shanny will do is have open comp which immediately ends Jason career here.

If Jasons career is ended because of open competition, it wont be due to bum azz Colt Brennan. I swear Im still trying to see why everyone continues to think this guy can fight for the #1 spot. Anythings possible, but he got his azz handed to him last year by Chase Daniel. If anything, CB fans need to pull for this scrub to get better. Stop acting like he is some hot shot who's proven himself time in and time out. Cause he hasnt. Right now he is garbage bag juice.

As for mechanics, arm strength, etc....to make it in the pro's, the new coaches will have to figure that stuff out.

No they wont, he has a cool name, everything else will work itself out :doh:

i don't know who he'll end up starting, but JC's a possibility, just like Colt or a rookie. i have enough confidence in Shanahan that i'll be happy with whomever he chooses.

if, after all is said and done, Shanahan names JC the week 1 starter, would you:

a) lose confidence in Shanahan, or

B) consider that you may have been wrong about JC?

i thought JC would be a top-10 QB by now, so i've already been wrong about him. it's nice to have a head coach whom i can place my full confidence in, though.

I felt the same way about JC. Unfortunately, he lost me when he kept falling back into the same old game losing habits...constantly throwing completions for less than first downs, limited pocket presence, sluggish dropback patterns which enabled defenses to just load up, slow play overall (this after Zorn repeatedly said he was working to get Campbell to speed up play...one of Zorn's greatest failures with Campbell), no risk mentality, and maybe most importantly, what seemed as no sense of urgency when the games were on the line.

As far as Campbell being named game 1 starter for 2010, provided he is not given a lucrative long term contract, I have no problem with that. But, if these same patterns show up early in the season, I am going to make my first ever collect call to Bruce Allen.

If Campbell signs a long term deal for big money with the Skins this off-season, it will only make sense if:

no money is guaranteed

it is part of a sign and trade deal

IMO

I felt the same way about JC. Unfortunately, he lost me when he kept falling back into the same old game losing habits...constantly throwing completions for less than first downs, limited pocket presence, sluggish dropback patterns which enabled defenses to just load up, slow play overall (this after Zorn repeatedly said he was working to get Campbell to speed up play...one of Zorn's greatest failures with Campbell), no risk mentality, and maybe most importantly, what seemed as no sense of urgency when the games were on the line.

Kokomike

If Jason does everything you say to greater extent then most QBs then don't you think that all these flaws coupled with our coaching/playcalling debacle, RB and OL injuires and don't you think his stats would be worse then 15th QB in the NFL?

Look at Carson Palmer who had everything JC didn't: stability in coaching staff, solid running game, good OL yet JC's stats are better then Carson's but i'm supposed to believe that Jason is one of the worst QBs in the league?

Nobody wants Sage, and Tarvaris will be the starter.

Kokomike

If Jason does everything you say to greater extent then most QBs then don't you think that all these flaws coupled with our coaching/playcalling debacle, RB and OL injuires and don't you think his stats would be worse then 15th QB in the NFL?

Look at Carson Palmer who had everything JC didn't: stability in coaching staff, solid running game, good OL yet JC's stats are better then Carson's but i'm supposed to believe that Jason is one of the worst QBs in the league?

You are beginning to dispel the fog of nonsense.

If Jasons career is ended because of open competition, it wont be due to bum azz Colt Brennan. I swear Im still trying to see why everyone continues to think this guy can fight for the #1 spot. Anythings possible, but he got his azz handed to him last year by Chase Daniel. If anything, CB fans need to pull for this scrub to get better. Stop acting like he is some hot shot who's proven himself time in and time out. Cause he hasnt. Right now he is garbage bag juice.

lol yea you are EXACTLY right. Like 2/3's of the people on this board thought Colt was gonna be the next Tom Brady because he was lighting it up against 3rd and 4th stringers.

Now the same people want to think he will somehow be able to compete for the starting job again because Shanahan is the coach.

Get a fricken grip people. COLT CANNOT COMPETE AT THE PRO LEVEL. He will be lucky to make the practice squad.

The back-up QB is always king among Skins fans...he can always come in and do better, he can always come in and throw more TDs, he can always come in and run the offense better, he can always come in and rack up more wins.

That is, until he becomes starter lol :).

Snyder and the coaching staff really wanted Colt to step up and take the number two spot last year... and they ended up being very disappointed.

Outside of a couple great preseason moments two years ago, Colt has never really impressed the coaches. He has never shined in OTA's or training camp. Chase Daniels had a better grasp of things almost immediately. I don't know, maybe Colt just took things for granted and got caught in the hype. Whatever the reason, if Colt wants to make the team, he's going to have show Shanahan a lot more than he showed Zorn and company, both mentally and physically. I mean, this is not a 22-year-old with crazy physical skills. Colt will be 27 when the season starts and has missed a lot of time with injuries already.

Originally Posted by Laxpunk2006 viewpost.gif

College numbers mean little to nothing in the pros. Last year Colt had his chance to move up to #2 on the depth chart and failed to do so. If he can't beat out Todd Collins in year two of the same system I don't see how he's going to be out both of our QB's for the #1 spot this year. If he does, great, it would be an awesome story. I just wouldn't get your hopes up.

This.

When we first got Colt and after his first preseason I had high hopes (relatively) for him, but it's clear he has not developed much as a QB judging by how he played this past preseason and the fact he hasn't moved up the depth chart at all. Maybe Shanahan will be the perfect guy for him and he'll be the next Tom Brady (6th rounder to starter, not multi-Super Bowl winner), but I'm not holding my breath.

Something you both have to keep in mind here - the past two seasons (well preseasons) Colt has been coached by what at worst may have been the worst offensive coaching staff ever assembled and at the very least a bunch of incompetent clowns.

At the same time, Timmy Chang put up almost the same numbers at Hawaii that Colt did, so who knows.

I'm willing to see what Colt can do under the Shannys before I pass judgment on him.

The back-up QB is always king among Skins fans...he can always come in and do better, he can always come in and throw more TDs, he can always come in and run the offense better, he can always come in and rack up more wins.

Yep, just like he did in 2007. :)

Archived