Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Shanahan the perfect coach for Colt Brennan?

kingdaddy

Is the Earth better off without us? (public)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth better off without us? (public)

• We make zero difference to anything on the planet
    • whatever.
    • yes, it would be better off.

Actually, I'll put it another way: if Shanahan doesn't develop, or worse, chooses not develop, Colt, then he truly must suck.

Not really.

It might not be a reflection on Colt one way or another.

The fact is that 3rd string developmental QBs that belong to the previosu regime seldom get a fair shake.

The new regime often wants to draft their own guy and/or bring in a QB that's familiar with their system, even if said player isn't a threat to start.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle brought in John David Booty to training camp.

Campbell already knows the basics of it, he'll just need to catch on to the nuances. With him, we have a known quantity. With Sage, yeah Kyle knows him, but what about the players? Thomas, Moss, Kelly, Cooley, and Davis all know how to react when JC throws it. We have familiarity with them. Stick with that.

"Nuance" and Campbell don't belong together in the same sentence.

Our WRs aren't effective because JC is not effective.

We don't hear MS talk about CB5 because CB5 is already under contract. I think they are talking JC up for trade value because right now it's nil.

With only a couple QBs to even consider this draft, I think they draft OL, develop CB5, trade JC for whatever they can get and look to see what QBs are available next year.

Rebuilding is going to take time, over a few years at least. We are not a couple of players away from a playoff caliber team, we are several years away. That's why MS has a 5 year contract and Zorn had only 3 years.

College numbers mean little to nothing in the pros. Last year Colt had his chance to move up to #2 on the depth chart and failed to do so. If he can't beat out Todd Collins in year two of the same system I don't see how he's going to be out both of our QB's for the #1 spot this year. If he does, great, it would be an awesome story. I just wouldn't get your hopes up.

This.

When we first got Colt and after his first preseason I had high hopes (relatively) for him, but it's clear he has not developed much as a QB judging by how he played this past preseason and the fact he hasn't moved up the depth chart at all. Maybe Shanahan will be the perfect guy for him and he'll be the next Tom Brady (6th rounder to starter, not multi-Super Bowl winner), but I'm not holding my breath.

Don't know if the Shanahans are perfect for Colt or not. I don't even know if Brennan can be an effective QB in the NFL. I know I saw some things I liked from him, and other things he needed to work on (understandable for a raw player).

I just hope that the Shanahans consider ALL their options and aren't summarily dismissive of players like so many on this board tend to be.

...and the fact he hasn't moved up the depth chart at all.

Did you ever stop to consider that maybe Brennan didn't supplant Collins more because of what Collins did, and less because of his own play?

Collins has been the best QB on the roster since he got to D.C. That, more than anything, will tell you all you need to know about the state of QBing on this team.

Why is everybody in love with colt the guy had one good preseason 2 years ago and last year he was not that good

Brennan made some good plays this past pre-season. For instance, that pick-6 that he threw against the Patriot FIRST-TEAM D was thisclose to being an excellent play. He made the right read, but was just a beat late with the ball. That's why the red zone is so difficult. If he had thrown the ball a split-second sooner to the exact same spot, it would have been a TD to a pretty open receiver. However, he was just a split second late in getting there. If he had of thrown the ball more to the outside, it would have still been an easy TD.

But, that's OK. It taught him a valuable lesson at a non-critical time - from a long-view standpoint, it was probably BETTER that he did throw that pick because it became a much more instructive play with that outcome.

If he learns from plays like that and executes properly, then you keep working with him. It's when he makes the same mistakes over and over that you cut ties.

Why is everybody in love with colt the guy had one good preseason 2 years ago and last year he was not that good

I'm not in love with Brennan but I wonder why he made the team two years in a row if he didn't warrant a look in the future? Why, after he looked so good, was Chase Daniels cut and Brennan, who played poorly in preseaon, was kept around? Brennan must have some positive traits that make him a potential NFL QB. Or maybe that was only in the eyes of the previous regime.

I think it's more that most people have fell out of love with JC. My father texts me during games (we live 4 hours away from eachother) and the one I got the most this season was "BENCH CAMPBELL. START COLT. CHAMPIONSHIP."

I had to laugh. No one thinks Colt is taking us to the Super Bowl, but my father is usually a pretty good gauge of how most Skins fans feel. The JC experiment is over, time to move on. And no one wants Todd Collins on the field, so the next most attractive option after JC is Colt. For now.

But I totally agree with opening the position up for competition.

I think Shanahan is a great coach for just about any QB. This guy got good production from Jake Plummer and Brian Griese. So yeah, I think he is the perfect coach for Colt Brennan. But I'm not sure Colt Brennan is the right QB for Mike Shanahan. Hopefully CB gets a shot at the starting job though, even if his chances are slim.

Collins has been the best QB on the roster since he got to D.C. That, more than anything, will tell you all you need to know about the state of QBing on this team.

Yep, this should be obvious to anyone who has been watching. It's a shame he didn't get to play much because our coach was tied to his failed QB project.

And yeah, it's pretty sad that a career backup has been our best QB.

"Nuance" and Campbell don't belong together in the same sentence.

Our WRs aren't effective because JC is not effective.

We don't hear MS talk about CB5 because CB5 is already under contract. I think they are talking JC up for trade value because right now it's nil.

With only a couple QBs to even consider this draft, I think they draft OL, develop CB5, trade JC for whatever they can get and look to see what QBs are available next year.

Rebuilding is going to take time, over a few years at least. We are not a couple of players away from a playoff caliber team, we are several years away. That's why MS has a 5 year contract and Zorn had only 3 years.

BINGO!! Straight to the point ! 10 STARS!!!!!

If Colt Brennan cannot survive as a 3rd stringer to John David Booty, he must truly suck.

Regardless of ability not many QBs survive regime changes, especially 2nd or 3rd string QB how is this a reflection on their ability.

Do the coaches that get released during a regime change suck also?

Your logic is flawed bro.

I mentioned John David Booty because he already knows Kyle Shanahan and the QB LeFleur he is for all intents and purposes their 'Colt Brennan' i.e. developmental QB.

Even if no passes are thrown and Booty comes to camp he already has the advantage over Brennan.

What about that is a reflection upon Brennan?

I am by no means a Brennan for starter supporter, BUT, the past Shanny QB that he most similarly resembles is Jake Plummer. Smallish frame, a bit of a gambler, definitely non traditional delivery.. Plummer made the Pro Bowl and took the Broncos to the AFC Championship game under Shanny before pissing him off the following year by missing most of the following offseason workouts which led to the Cutler draft pick.

I'm not saying that Shanny could replicate that with Brennan but if he sticks around it will be interesting to see how he develops.

I am by no means a Brennan for starter supporter, BUT, the past Shanny QB that he most similarly resembles is Jake Plummer. Smallish frame, a bit of a gambler, definitely non traditional delivery.. Plummer made the Pro Bowl and took the Broncos to the AFC Championship game under Shanny before pissing him off the following year by missing most of the following offseason workouts which led to the Cutler draft pick.

I'm not saying that Shanny could replicate that with Brennan but if he sticks around it will be interesting to see how he develops.

My thoughts exactly.....

It's a shame that Colt was on IR last year because I think that there was a chance that he may have gotten some game time at the end of the year. Even though Colt is third on the depth chart behind Todd it would have been nice to see what we have in him during a real game. It would have made no sense to go to Todd at that point since he is not a long term answer.

If Kyle wants Sage then we get Sage. Why not have a guy that KNOWS your offense and can run it on your team?

Shouldn't Jason know every offensive playbook on the planet by now? :silly:

Rosenfels is a turnover machine, he's had 30 combined INT's & fumbles in his last 14 games. NO THANKS. Say what you want to about Jason, but he doesn't turn the ball over very often. Sage can't hold on to it.

As for Colt, I don't know if he really can play or not, but we know one thing - if he can't do anything being coached by Shanny, we know he can't play.

It's a shame that Colt was on IR last year because I think that there was a chance that he may have gotten some game time at the end of the year. Even though Colt is third on the depth chart behind Todd it would have been nice to see what we have in him during a real game. It would have made no sense to go to Todd at that point since he is not a long term answer.

I really don't think the redskins would have played him just for the sake of seeing what they had in Colt Brennan even if he was healthy. That just doesnt seem like the kind of logical scenario that the Zorn era would have followed in the obviously failed season.

I don't think Colt has a body for this league his hip will be a problem for the rest of his career.

And you know this because...?

I think he could be a very serviceable back up.......No way he beats out JC next year though.

And you know this because...?

Archived