Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

should i get a playstation 3 or a stand alone blu ray player?

squatch66

i want to get either one. i have read that the ps3 is good because of the firmware updates and internet connection for netflix but you can get a standalone with the same features now. i have gone to a couple of places and both of the people i talked to said "ps3 hands down" but i feel more like they are trying to sell me a higher dollar item versus really answering my question. i dont even know if i would use the ps3 as a gaming system as i have a 360 and all my friends have 360 as well so i wouldnt be able to play along with with.

if the ps3 is the truly superior option then i have no problem with buying one but if i can save a couple of bucks and get the same functions then why not?

PS3! Its the best blu-ray player on the market!

haha way to edit before I could quote it ;)

Depends what your budget is. I am a huge PS3 fan as a blu-ray player. That being said for xmas I bought my parents a sony stand alone unit. Because I knew they wouldnt want to try and figure out a PS3 and would always see it as a game machine.

If your budget is sub 300, which I believe is hard to do for the all inclusive blu-ray players (ie netflix etc) then go standalone ... if you have the money though PS3 is the best bang for the buck but a higher buy in cost.

haha way to edit before I could quote it ;)

Depends what your budget is. I am a huge PS3 fan as a blu-ray player. That being said for xmas I bought my parents a sony stand alone unit. Because I knew they wouldnt want to try and figure out a PS3 and would always see it as a game machine.

If your budget is sub 300, which I believe is hard to do for the all inclusive blu-ray players (ie netflix etc) then go standalone ... if you have the money though PS3 is the best bang for the buck but a higher buy in cost.

LOL i saw him talking about a 360 so i thought that was question lol. good thing i re-read!

I actually had a conversation with a coworker on this subject. He told me he knew a woman who worked as a Blu Ray QA person for Sony. She told him that PS3s were the best Blu Ray players because it is the only one that uses a faster drive (because it is also a game machine.) That means menus are much snappier on the PS3 than any other stand alone player.

The only downside? No IR port. So, you are forced to either use a controller as a remote or buy their Bluetooth remote.

My brother has been through 2 PS3's in 3 years - he said b/c he uses the BR Player so much, along with the games he plays.

I love my sony BR player. It really is amazing and makes me want to exchange all my DVD's for Blu Rays... not going to do it, though. It spoils the heck out of you.

Also- The PS3 has the Playstation Network, where you can download movies instantly in HD either for rent of for purchase. That's not all, there's a ton of stuff that comes along with a PS3.

That's a good point. Although, my parents just got a Panasonic BR player that has access to Amazon on Demand. But PS3 is supposed to be the best BR player on the market. Its also the only current BR player that will be able to play 3D movies when that switch comes. So keep that in mind if 3D is something that interests you.

PS3 will allow you to do more things in the future, even if you don't have plans for them now. You can connect to a digital media server (or even store all your media files on a portable hard drive) to access audio & video computer files.

One thing someone pointed out as being a negative can actually be a positive, the bluetooth controllers/remote. Since they don't use infra-red to send the signals, you don't need to see the PS3 or aim the controller/remote at the PS3 to turn it on or use it. When I got my new TV & home theater package, the TV stand I was using did not have enough room for all the components, so I ended up putting the PS3 on a shelf behind the TV and it is completely hidden, cant see it when you are watching TV or playing games at all, and still works like a charm.

I've owned an Xbox 360 for 2.5 years and a PS3 for 1.5 years.

It used to be that the PS3 was the defacto standard for the best Blu-ray player. Both for value and functionality.

Since the holiday sales, Blu-ray player standalone prices have come way down. Now you can get a great quality standalone for $100-150 if you look online for some deals. Many of the standalones have the same Profile 2.0 spec to have internet-based features like Netflix, Amazon VOD, Pandora radio, Picasa, etc.

Also, the PS3's large advantage in speed has been eliminated, with most of the 2009 models having similar operational speeds. One of them was faster than the PS3 by a matter of seconds.

The main benefits of the PS3 are the combined package as a gaming system and also the constant firmware updates that Sony delivers. The PS3 is one of the least problematic players when there are new FW updates sent out due to BD-Java updates or new security layers that the BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) pushes through to reduce piracy. In the rare times you hear of a new Blu-ray not working with the player, it's usually a standalone since they tend to have less frequent updates.

The PSN always has updates that keep the latest software for Blu-rays and deliver additional functionality.

Since the PS3 was introduced, it received functionality benefits from software including:

- Additional video/picture support for more files, streaming capabilities

- Enhanced interface

- Profile 2.0 (BD-Live): Internet based features such as further special features/trailers you can download, party chat, etc (imo, a bit overhyped, but nevertheless a free addon for PS3 owners to keep up-to-date).

- DVD upconversion

- 720p/1080i enhanced compatibility (initially screwed over early HDTV owners back when released in 2006)

- Full HD audo codecs added to get the same uncompressed sounds via bitstreaming like the standalones

Official list: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3/history.html

As you have a 360, I'm sure you know the basic features of PSN such as game add-ons, downloads, trailers, movies, etc. It's a slightly different interface, but essentially the same type of stuff as the 360. It does have 1080p trailers vs. 720p on the 360 (did the recent Zune HD 1080p change for trailers, or just movies?) Also, you get free online service rather than your Xbox Live Gold subscription. Netflix is coming to the PS3 for free.

I personally still prefer my 360 for gaming (25+ games vs. 2 for the PS3). But you still get some good exclusive games, and the Blu-ray playback in many ways is more future-proof than a given standalone. Personally, if you have a set budget, the cheaper 2.0 standalones by Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc. are a better deal if you're not gonna use the additional gaming/media features of the PS3 with your 360. I bought my PS3 for $100 off at $300 back when standalones ranged from $250-350. Now that standalones are $100-150 vs. $300 for a PS3, the difference is more noticeable.

You should be happy either way. A Blu-ray player's a great addition if you like high quality PQ and AQ in your movies. A Netflix/Blockbuster subscription is also highly encouraged so you can see a ton of HD movies without having to shell out more on purchases. Check online deals for movie sales. I've been able to buy 100+ for under $14 avg. for brand new movies (vs. paying $20-25 each at a typical Best Buy).

Last suggestions for you in this long post: check out www.highdefdigest.com, www.blu-ray.com, and www.avsforum.com for good reviews on movies and user opinions on all Blu-ray players.

Depends on how much you want to spend and if you're a gamer.

There are better stand-alone players now, but they're expensive. Oppo has the gold standard right now with their $499 stand-alone player. It is fast, fast, fast, and really easy to use.

If you just want a reasonably good blu ray and don't think you'll be doing much gaming... well, you can get a bunch of solid players for around two hundred.

Archived