Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mark Mcgwire "Lets all move on from this."

AsburySkinsFan

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/23640/mcgwire-lets-all-move-on-from-this

You know me coming forward, and doing what I did on my own, and uhh, coming clean, I just don't know what else to say. Its just that it was from my heart. With Jose, I'm not gonna go down that road, I'm not gonna...I'll take the high road with Jose, so because that's just the way I am. Everybody makes mistakes in their lives, and its the biggest regret of my life. I kept this to myself, I..you know what...I spoke from my heart, and I spoke honestly the other night, and listen that's me. And I hope you all can accept this, and let's all move on from this. Baseball, baseball is great right now, baseball is better, and lets just all move on."

You know, I'm all about forgiveness but this smacks of arrogance and a total lack of repentance for his cheating. What recompense has he made? He finally admitted to doping, so what? He is already retired, he already got his millions, he already got his home-run fame and now he comes out after its all over and has the nerve to tell us that we need to move on from this. That's some nerve he's got.

You want us to move on from this Mark? I'm sure you do, I'm sure you would love it if we simply forgot that the achievements that you reached that have your name in the Hall of Fame under the home-run record list were all because you were cheating; cheating baseball, cheating your team and cheating us the fans. You want us to move on? Fine, retract your 70 home-runs from the Hall and honestly ask for them to be scratched from the record books and then we'll move on. Until then you're just the guy who cheated when it suited him and now wants to clean up his image, without his cheating and his lies actually costing him anything.

I'm sorry I ever cheered for you, I'm sorry I wasted the 1998 season watching you and the other cheater Sammy Sosa tarnish baseball with your lies and deceit.

:rant:

"doing what i did on my own" is complete bull****. he only came forward so he could get the hitting coach job with St. Louis

dude is a jackass of the highest order

I'm not sure it's really going to matter in St. Louis. they love him there, his manager is his biggest supporter, and that's where he'll spend the bulk of his "visible" time. No doubt he's a fraud, so it should be on Bud Selig to do something, if anything.

Totally agree with you , ASF. A completely self-serving jerk with zero repentance.

Screw Mark McGuire and his sudden attack of "conscience".

"Can't we all just move on" says the guy who pretended to be insulted that anyone would ever question him.

~Bang

I don't see how this separates him from any other professional athlete. None of the major US sports even bother to test for HGH and they probably aren't up to speed on all the other PEDs out there either.

IMO, the leagues and players unions are at fault here, not necessarily individual players. The way the rules are now, you'd have to be an idiot not to take PEDs.

So while McGuire/Clemens/Sosa/Palmeiro/Bonds etc. receive the bulk of the outrage, they really are just the tiny minority you happen to know about.

I think McGuire could use a better PR advisor.

Plus he didn't even "come clean" IMO. He used the old Bill Clinton "I didn't inhale" tactic. "Oh, I didn't do roids for the power, I did it to heal quicker". BS DUDE!

If you're going to "come clean" then just man up and say "I did it, and I'm sorry". Don't try to make excuses as to why you did it because it just makes you look like a bigger turd than you already do.

He had his chance to "come forward on his own" at the Senate hearing a few years ago.

Sorry, Mark. You need to ride the hot seat for a while. You need your accomplishments asterisked and you need to be removed from consideration for the Hall. Your "heroic" deeds were a scam and you need to go away. The country that believed you then will never believe you again.

Geez you guys are rough. Everyone knows that the steroids he took were just for injuries. He would have gotten his numbers and 50 extra pounds of muscle with or without steroids. So I agree, let's move on.

:hysterical:

Baseball has made of a joke of itself with this anyway. I have little to no respect for the sport anyhow. He'll be allowed back as a coach, write a book and be in the HoF, like it never happened.

He and Sammy Sosa saved baseball, and the owners quietly condoned their behavior. He and all the other roiders should get in with asterisks.

Doesn't matter. It doesn't make it any less cheating,, and whether they saved baseball is up for debate. They may have put butts in the seats temporarily, but they stained the game irreparably in the process.

~Bang

On the steroids era topic, there's a few guys that I've noticed have skated by with seemingly little, if any, scrutiny, despite showing signs of potential use:

(1) Jeff Bagwell

(2) Jay Buhner

(3) Luis Gonzales

(4) Moises Alou

(5) Greg Vaughn

Any thoughts??

On the steroids era topic, there's a few guys that I've noticed have skated by with seemingly little, if any, scrutiny, despite showing signs of potential use:

(1) Jeff Bagwell

(2) Jay Buhner

(3) Luis Gonzales

(4) Moises Alou

(5) Greg Vaughn

Any thoughts??

If they didn't test positive, or weren't found guilty of using, then there's no reason to go after them. Lots of guys "look" like they could have used, or are using.

Btw, why is so hard to spell someone's name right? At least three people in the thread spelled it "McGuire", despite the correct spelling being in the title.:chair:

If they didn't test positive, or weren't found guilty of using, then there's no reason to go after them. Lots of guys "look" like they could have used, or are using.

Btw, why is so hard to spell someone's name right? At least three people in the thread spelled it "McGuire", despite the correct spelling being in the title.:chair:

I'm not suggesting that we "go after" guys without evidence, I'm merely suggesting that this group in particular seems suspicious, especially Gonzales, Alou, and Vaughn.

I saw that and laughed my ass off...definitely not the right thing to say...he's doing a horrible PR job :hysterical:

Apparently the Cardinals front office agrees with you as they are taking him away from the press until spring training.

Other former Cardinals are starting to sound off on Mcgwire as well. It doesn't sound like they are happy about him.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4828715

Playing devils advocate...

How is McGwire loading up on roids so he could heal any different than Koufax taking cortisone shots back in the 60's so he could go out and pitch?

I've heard numerous people in the sports news world claim that even if he was taking steroids for that reason and that reason alone, it was still cheating since it allowed him to recover from his injuries and get back faster.

Obviously steroids and such are illegal but it seems like people are taking umbrage with the fact that he took something to get better to play. Koufax did the same.

Obviously steroids and such are illegal but it seems like people are taking umbrage with the fact that he took something to get better to play. Koufax did the same.

Koufax used something the equivalent to extra strong ben gay to finish games. There is a huge difference.

Koufax used something the equivalent to extra strong ben gay to finish games. There is a huge difference.

Bobby Knight is coming to Mark's defense on this, he said in an ESPN interview that Gatorade is a "performance enhancing substance". :doh: Good lord have mercy are we so dense in this country that we can't tell the difference between fancy water and steroids and HGH? Just one more reason I have to dislike Bobby Knight.

Archived