Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you were the Vikings.......

ABQCOWBOY

I'd go after the Cowboys linebackers with Peterson and Taylor. I'd roll Brett away from Ware in Passing downs.

Defensively, personally, if Jared Allen has a monster game, I can see Minny winning. But if he doesn't, it could be a long day for them. So I guess you really have to blitz, blitz, blitz, and take you chances. Romo sits to pee will kill them in a zone over the middle all day. The only thing left to do is go man to man, which I still don't think favors them, but you simply have to get pressure on Romo sits to pee and try to force some turnovers.

On D: Play a 1-deep zone with a double on either Austin or Witten, depending on the situation. Move Jared Allen around a lot to create mis-matched and harass Tony Romo sits to pee all day.

On O: Lots of Peterson. Screens to Chester/Harvin/Rice. Playaction at least once every 8 plays. Crossing patterns, fly routes on the outside. Line Peterson up outside on a CB/LB with Taylor or Rice in the backfield.

If I were Leslie Frazier Id be sure to shut down Felix Jones and Marion Barber first and foremost. Make sure Austin doesnt beat you. Let Witten have his. But first and foremost stop the run and get after Romo sits to pee. The Vikes did lead the league in sacks this year. And they are second against the run.

If Im Childress Id run the ball, run the ball, and run the ball. Even if Dallas is stopping the run early Id keep at it to keep the dogs off of Farve. Then hit them with some play action to Rice and some screens to Harvin. But make sure AP gets his touches!!

How would you go about beating the Cowboys?

How would you attack the Cowboys defensively and offensively?

Quick slants, throws to the middle of the field. Nothing deep 3/4ths of the game and when they start playing the intermediate and short routes, play action pass. Take advantage of Scandrick and Newman. Get Sidney Rice to match up with one of them. Or get Harvin to go against Scandrick one on one.

Then I would double Miles and press Roy.

Watch the Dal vs GB game earlier this year and take note of their weaknesses.

Defensively I would say pressure Romo sits to pee. It's a given Romo sits to pee will throw up one of those lollipop passes every so often. Barber has been known to fumble occassionally go after the ball .. I think they are going to need to be aggressive even may have to take some chances.

Double Miles Austin all day the way you would Randy Moss. Blitz early when their OLine is fresh and later in the game fall into coverage and let your pass rushers attack their softened OLine.

As for offense I'd stick to balance all day. Keep the pass rush in check with a steady dose of AP and go for a home run on every 2nd and short.

Its imperative that the Vikings use alot of screens. Nothing is better at slowing down the pass rush than effective screens.

And I don't think they can just sit back on defense. Romo sits to pee has been very accurate the last month. You can't continue to give him time to throw. They will have to come after him. And with the crowd noise, he won't be as effective calling audibles or whatnot. But the one poster had it right. They have to make sure Peterson is getting his touches. And stay with the run game. It will definitely open up the play action.

Vikings must be able stuff the run and run the ball whether Favre wants to or not. It will only work to his advantage as the game progresses.

They must not only apply pressure to Romo sits to pee, they must hit him and knock him down...a lot. If the front four can't do it by themselves they must disguise blitzes and send a 5th consistently.

They also must play close attention to Witten releasing and the RB when chipping. Instead of allowing the RB to chip and clear for screens (which I think the Vikings will see heavy doses of to slow the rush) I'd have the DE shoulder down and slam them a few times.

Offensively I'd run the ball at Ware all day. Bryant McKinnie is an elite LT and I know the Skins have had success with Samuels running at Ware. If the Vikes have to pass the ball 30+ times it could spell doom because Ware and those pass rushers will tee off, but if Peterson and Taylor can successfully run at Ware and wear him down, they can break big plays late.

Defensively you have to put pressure on Romo sits to pee, but if you go man to man you risk Romo sits to pee running around and making a big play either scrambling himself or improvising. I guess I'd go with some kind of zone blitz type stuff to try to force/trick Romo sits to pee into making bad throws. I think Winfield can handle Austin 1 on 1 though.

The key matchups really are McKinnie vs. Ware and Flozell Adams vs. Jared Allen. The winners of those matchups will probably determine the winner of the game.

as much as I hate Brett Favre. I'd rather the Vikings win then the Pukes.

Pound the rock with "AD" Adrian. He's had a bad year so far, I think they've been saving him for the playoffs. Run that ball with Peterson, if Favre drops back throws over 35 attempts then the Vikes will lose. Defensively, apply pressure all day with the front 4 on Romo sits to pee.

:helmet:

The Vikings HAVE to find help for McKinnie on Ware. He simply cannot block Ware one on one. The Vikings are going to have to find a way to chip Spencer too, because he has been every bit as dangerous, if not more dangerous than Ware the past 2 months.

On defense, the Vikings need their LBs to show up. Witten is Romo sits to pee's security blanket and if he's left open in the middle of the field, he will gash any defense in the NFL and keep the chains moving. The Vikings need to stop the run as well. Nobody uses the play action fake better than Romo sits to pee. He has really mastered fakes and misdirections of all kind. If the running game is working and he is allowed to use the PA to his advantage, the Vikings are in for a very long day.

pressure Romo sits to pee every down and force him to make mistakes. play bump and run coverage on austin with someone over the top... and for the love of all that is good, play with SWAGGER...and let them CRYBOYS know that this is your HOUSE!!! cmon, VIKINGS! you got this!

Pound the rock with "AD" Adrian. He's had a bad year so far, I think they've been saving him for the playoffs. Run that ball with Peterson, if Favre drops back throws over 35 attempts then the Vikes will lose. Defensively, apply pressure all day with the front 4 on Romo sits to pee.

Peterson's had a bad year so far?

If 1383 yards rushing (and 436 yards receiving) and 18 TDs qualifies as a bad year, I'd love for a Redskins RB to have that bad of a season any time.

Archived