Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Sarah Palin to join Fox News as contributor

alexey

Good God man, take of the blinders. The mainstream media loves people that think like you do with those overinflated statements.

Wow that's great! I'll make sure to turn on the TV from time to time to bask in the love...

Seriously now, what do you mean by that post? Are you saying that my opinion on things that I listed comes from the mainstream media? You do not know how I arrived to those conclusions, but obviously you are entitled to your opinion on that.

I'm a gambler, and I would bet that she is out of a job for "undisclosed reasons" within two months.

I would not make that wager if I were you. They know what they are doing at Fox News. She will not be put in that position.

Wow that's great! I'll make sure to turn on the TV from time to time to bask in the love...

Seriously now, what do you mean by that post? Are you saying that my opinion on things that I listed comes from the mainstream media? You do not know how I arrived to those conclusions, but obviously you are entitled to your opinion on that.

It's just a blind faith statement on your part. You state that one party is beyond hope as its corrupt to its core. Really? You really believe that?

Not to take this off-topic but is being an "intellectual" a prerequisite to holding the office of the President? I would assert that not that many recent Presidents would be considered intellectuals. I would include Clinton, Obama and probably even Nixon but would exclude Reagan (and he was a very successful CIC nonetheless) and JFK. I might even include Carter (really) because I think he's a very cerebral man but he was a trainwreck of a President. Not posing the question as it pertains to Palin because despite her appeal to some people & in some quarters, she's clearly lacking but more of an open-ended question. We've all worked for MBA's who couldn't cut it once in a position of title, no?

I don't think it's a prerequisite, but I don't think it's a BAD thing either. These days conservative talking heads use terms like 'elite' and 'intellectual' as slurs when talking about their opponents. I think that's a dangerous attitude to take.

And yes, I agree this will be a great blunder for Fox News.

This will not be a "blunder" for Fox. Her target audience will just eat her up. It's the haters and detractors who'll just take every soundbite that seems out of whack and just pummel her with it. It not hard to see what going to happen. Fox-(Ailes) will look like a genius. Fox does not make more than MSNBC, CNN, ABCNews, NBCNews and CBSNews COMBINED for being stupid.

It's just a blind faith statement on your part. You state that one party is beyond hope as its corrupt to its core. Really? You really believe that?

I think that GOP has fractions that are for various reasons not willing to accept various aspects of reality. It would be very difficult for a GOP politician to get elected if he is not willing to play along with these self delusions.

This will not be a "blunder" for Fox. Her target audience will just eat her up. It's the haters and detractors who'll just take every soundbite that seems out of whack and just pummel her with it. It not hard to see what going to happen. Fox-(Ailes) will look like a genius. Fox does not make more than MSNBC, CNN, ABCNews, NBCNews and CBSNews COMBINED for being stupid.

Its a good move (short term) by their part. But come on man, she is going to blow this on an epic level. Blame the liberals if you want but this is the calm before the storm....I've got my umbrella and i'm excited!!

I don't see him as out of the running,though he certainly missed a chance to advance his position with that speech.

It certainly was not his intellect that was found wanting or rejected.

I think the experience of watching Jindal's response was just a giant collective deflation vs. the way he had been built up.

I went into that Jindal speech expecting to see a rising-star voice of powerful reason in the GOP -- a guy who could cut through the atmospheric BS and do something more than just toe the GOP crazy-line. Maybe look a bit Presidential in the process. Charismatic, confident, undeniably brilliant, perhaps a bit intimidating with his combination of vision and charm.

My general impression after the speech was, "If this guy is so smart, then why is he talking like Mister Rogers, pretending not to understand the concept and importance of volcano monitoring, and invoking Katrina, which is just about the least advisable image for a Republican to be painting these days? Why is he watering down his intellect to the point of absurdity and acting exactly like a guy under the strict control of people far stupider than him?"

He just seemed like a smart guy who didn't really know why he had been trotted out there instead of someone else, and didn't have a lot to say, but just went along with it anyway. That didn't come across as leadership. It came across as the opposite of leadership.

I think the GOP did Jindal and themselves a huge disservice there, as he's surely far more intelligent and less disappointing than the situation made him out to be. I still think he'd be a good VP choice on a Republican ticket, the GOP equivalent of an Al Gore wonky type.

I think some of you are putting too much into "contributor". Basically, all she'll be doing is making frequent appearances on Fox shows, such as O'Reilly, Hannity, etc.... to talk about various topics. It's not like Fox is giving her a Glenn Beck show or anything, unless I haven't heard about it.

Not to take this off-topic but is being an "intellectual" a prerequisite to holding the office of the President? I would assert that not that many recent Presidents would be considered intellectuals.

Nowhere did I imply that a President has to be an intellectual. Lots of intellectuals would make terrible presidents. You also have to be tough, a great communicator, witty, thick skin, and a great manager and coordinator of people and talent.

You also have to be 'smart enough', of course. Palin is nothing close. She is a fumbling, bumbling, idiot, among other things. Her only qualifications seem to be that she tows the company line on every single conservative issue and she is a woman. :whoknows:

As for recent Presidents, let's take a look at their educational history:

JFK: Princeton, then Harvard Cum-Laude

Nixon: Whittier College, Duke Law School

Ford: Michigan, Yale Law School

Reagan: Eureka College

Bush Sr.: Yale

Clinton: Georgetown, Yale, Oxford

Bush Jr: Yale Bachelars, Harvard MBA

Sara Palin: Used runner-up status in Ms. Alaska beauty pageant to attend Hawaii Pacific. Transferred after one semester to Northern Idaho. 4 years later graduated from U of Idaho with a communications degree.

:munchout:

As for recent Presidents, let's take a look at their educational history:

JFK: Princeton, then Harvard Cum-Laude

Nixon: Whittier College, Duke Law School

Ford: Michigan, Yale Law School

Reagan: Eureka College

Bush Sr.: Yale

Clinton: Georgetown, Yale, Oxford

Bush Jr: Yale Bachelars, Harvard MBA

Obama: Columbia, Harvard Law

Full story on Palin: Hawaii Pacific, transfer to North Idaho, transfer to University of Idaho, transfer to Matanuska-Susitna, transfer back to University of Idaho.

That's a lot of thanks-but-no-thanks, followed by a being-for-it-after-she-was-against-it. :)

I think the GOP did Jindal and themselves a huge disservice there, as he's surely far more intelligent and less disappointing than the situation made him out to be. I still think he'd be a good VP choice on a Republican ticket, the GOP equivalent of an Al Gore wonky type.

How a disservice?...a opportunity wasted for whatever reason is not a disservice.

Are you saying he and Palin were simply put out front too soon?:D

Their strengths do compliment each other:evilg:

I don't think it's a prerequisite, but I don't think it's a BAD thing either. These days conservative talking heads use terms like 'elite' and 'intellectual' as slurs when talking about their opponents. I think that's a dangerous attitude to take.

We live in a time when truth has fallen to fairness. Fairness means that I'm right all the time because there is no truth, only opinions. If you fail to give my version then you are not being fair and are not trustworthy. Thus I am free to define truth however I want (within limits).

There is a lot of money to be made currently by simple agreeing with people. Look at Glenn Beck or Olbermann for instance. These were relative nobody's not long ago that have built large followings entirely by telling wingnuts that they are right.

In such a day in age why wouldn't intellectuals be viewed poorly? They spoil the part. Instead of telling ignorant people what they want to hear they confuse them and tell them they are wrong. Screw those elitist ****s. We are right damnit.

How a disservice?...a opportunity wasted for whatever reason is not a disservice.

I think it was worse than a mere disservice, and they failed to recognize that there was really no opportunity available through that response in the first place. It was a step backwards (disservice), not just standing still (missed opportunity). I'm not so interested in the semantics beyond that. They hurt Jindal by tapping him for a doomed task. He ended up in worse political shape than if they had trotted out some no-name to take the hit for a thankless, opportunity-less task. Some doors which might have been open to him are now, by any rational evaluation of his lot, closed.

Jindal clearly was a guy they were eyeing as a potential party big boy, and they had just started building him up to that end. Then they introduced the guy to the nation in a really ham-handed, rushed way that totally contradicted their overall goal and his desired image. He had no memorable message, terrible rapport, bargain basement rhetoric, and the real shame is that there was no reason why he had to be the guy to do the response in the first place. It was like the GOP said, "Bobby, get out there and be you. But don't be you in these ways: style, message, intellect, relevance." The GOP got it right when they brought out a no-name doctor Rep to respond to Obama's health care speech, but of course that's no help to Jindal. It just underscores the lesson they didn't learn with the Jindal speech.

Part of it was the too-early problem, but they just didn't manage his emergence at all. From a party that is far more centrally coordinated than the Democrats, that's a genuine disservice to themselves and to him. It was like burning a young, potential star linebacker's redshirt with 2 games left in a losing season.

These days conservative talking heads use terms like 'elite' and 'intellectual' as slurs when talking about their opponents. I think that's a dangerous attitude to take.

Usually their opponents and the media display their condescending and pompous attitude toward others especially conservatives if they don't have an Ivy League education that still haven't prevented the majority of liberal "elite" from repeating foolish mistakes and social experiments from the past.

Highly educated but purposely not using common sense or for the sake of idealogy the elite liberal intellectuals are doing things to American and its citizens that don't reflect their overrated education or IQ.

Usually their opponents and the media display their condescending and pompous attitude toward others especially conservatives if they don't have an Ivy League education that still haven't prevented the majority of liberal "elite" from repeating foolish mistakes and social experiments from the past.

Highly educated but purposely not using common sense or for the sake of idealogy the elite liberal intellectuals are doing things to American and its citizens that don't reflect their overrated education or IQ.

I tend to agree with this. You don't have to be Conservative to have dangerous ideas about America or Americans. Listen to one interview by Janeane Garafalo and this is confirmed. Pick a Hollywood talking head and they are all over the place with off the wall ideas about America IMO.

And the kneejerk response is to distrust all elites and celebrate ignorance. At least for some.

Somebody give this man a talk radio show, or at least a spot as a guest "expert" at Fox News

There are several extremely bright Republicans and Conservatives out there. Why the base has latched on to Sara the intellectual lightweight to further their cause is somewhat of a mystery to me.

Because, as of late, the "conservative movement" has been afflicted with a virulent strain of anti-intellectualism. Think about it; this party's most visible faces over the past few years have been George W. Bush, Sarah Palin, and Bobby Jindal. That speaks volumes about what the party leadership thinks its constituents want in a conservative leader.

Say what you want about Bill Clinton (a Rhodes Scholar and Yale law school grad), Hillary Clinton (also a Yale grad), and Obama (a Harvard law grad and professor of law), but those guys and gal aren't dumb. The funny thing is that many conservatives view their academic credentials and Mensa memberships as vices.

Archived