Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many of us are really excited about Mike Shanahan

gobigred

Nobody here can predict whether Shanahan will be successful here or not. But you're damn right, I'm excited! After the most miserable season in recent memory, we have a known successful coach (assuming Shanahan is aboard), a real general manager with strong emotional ties to the Redskins, and an owner who has amazingly admitted some failings. With the addition of younger talented players, I feel optimistic for the first time in what seems like ages.

I don't know where I stand with him. I would much rather have gruden or Cower, but it is what it is.

I just want them to choose a coach and players will give us a chance to win. I'm tired of second choices for both players and coaches that don't work out.

Pick someone who can do the job, allow them to work and let's see what happens the next couple of years without flux.

I've been luke warm on Shanny, however, the coaching candidates that he's leveraging are going to be unbelieveable.

I'm a big fan of Bruce Allen and huge fan of Kyle Shanahan, Alex Gibbs and Mike Zimmer.

Having football people who know other football people and the assembly of this staff really excites me.

I'm not excited, just another retread. Marty would be the best possible choice in my opinion, but since Danny blew that...

My dream scenario was that the Titans would continue to lose and somehow fire the best coach in the country...and then there is a press conference to proclaim Jeff Fisher as the new headcoach of your Washington Redskins.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs..._to_rescu.html

So Mike Shanahan is here to rescue us.

First, from the Denver Post, in 2004, when Shanahan was still in charge.

It isn't easy assembling a special group in today's NFL, where half the roster can change in a typical offseason. Free agency has fostered a certain selfishness, a mercenary mind-set among players in a ruthless sport that eats its own.

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey saw that kind of attitude in Washington, where Redskins owner Daniel Snyder loved to collect big-ticket free agents who had no emotional attachment to their teammates or the city. Sure enough, five years later, Bailey has yet to taste the playoffs, much less a Super Bowl.

"We've got guys who want to see each other succeed," Bailey said. "When they mess up, you want to pick them up. I never really had that [in Washington]. We've got big names, but they're guys who collectively have good attitudes. You know what you're going to get from them every day. That's big. You put a lot of stars together like we did in D.C., and it won't work. If you don't have communication in the locker room and everybody isn't getting along every day, it can be tough."

And then, I'd ask you to consider this anecdote from Shanahan's collegiate career at Eastern Illinois, via the Rocky Mountain News in 1998. During his junior year, after taking a hit in spring practice, Shanahan wound up home in bed. When his roommate, Mike Heimerdinger, came home, Shanahan was still in bed, and confessed that he'd been urinating blood. They went to the hospital; Shanahan had a split kidney.

''Right away, Mike told the doctors, 'Start cutting, I know I've got a problem,' '' Shanahan's father told the paper.

Anyone who tells the doctors to "start cutting" is okay by me.

Mike Shanahan looks a bit like George W. Bush doesn't he? His son Kyle, who will be the OC for the Redskins, looks a bit like that actor Ben Affleck. It's going to be a "package deal" with them. "Shanahan & Son" ... like that old TV show Sanford & Son. :)

http://digitalsportsdaily.com/nfl/17556

Maybe they'll "shanatize" everything in "Redskin Nation" and all will be organized, efficient, stable, and smooth running in a year or two.

I'm not excited, just another retread. Marty would be the best possible choice in my opinion, but since Danny blew that...

My dream scenario was that the Titans would continue to lose and somehow fire the best coach in the country...and then there is a press conference to proclaim Jeff Fisher as the new headcoach of your Washington Redskins.

Marty? Really?

You know who owns Marty lock stock and barrel?

A "retread" with Super Bowl rings is shunned, while his favorite playoff kick-around boy is your preference.

Only on ES

~Bang

Am I jumping up and down? No. I'd prefer Grimm and Cowher first.

I am relieved more than anything because I know the Skins have competence again.

Also, doesn't anyone think Shanny is looking for redemption after being fired last year. He may have final say but he's not doing it all himself. I am sure Shanny will want to build a team with Bruce than is a regular superbowl contender and maybe even give us his successor in his son Kyle.

I have hope again.

I just want to impose this question, Why are we so excited about Mike Shanahan. I mean really what has he done without Elway, (nothing) only one playoff apperance since post Elway.

Just a little something for ya regarding the 1992 season and after...

"Young finished the season with 3,456 passing yards and 537 rushing yards, along with an NFL best 25 touchdown passes and 107.0 passer rating, earning him the NFL Most Valuable Player Award and his first selection to the Pro Bowl. He was the first quarterback ever to record a triple digit rating in consecutive seasons. Many credit Young's turnaround to the arrival of then 49ers Offensive Coordinator Mike Shanahan, who mentored Young just as he did John Elway in the years before. Shanahan worked with Young on combining his running skill with on-the-move passing decisions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Young_(American_football)

He said someone that has a passion for the Redskins that tells me someone on the inside possibly (Jerry Gray) or that played for the team maybe ( I know you are going to laugh but Russ Grimm).

And could somebody please explain to me the fascination with bringing back Russ Grimm as HC...I loved him as part of the Hogs, but what makes him such an Outstanding coaching candidate? I'm being serious...please explain...

I'm not excited cause I figure the NFL will end up investigating the Skins for not putting a good faith effort into the Rooney Rule.

The NFL said the Redskins have already complied...and they said this WEEKS AGO...WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???

I just want to impose this question, Why are we so excited about Mike Shanahan. I mean really what has he done without Elway, (nothing) only one playoff apperance since post Elway.

As several other posters have said, it was actually several playoff appearances post-Elway and even though there was only one playoff win, it was with Jake Plummer over the Patriots who were trying to three-peat. Not to mention he got to the playoffs in 2000 without TD, Elway, Shannon Sharpe, and an older defense, and with Brian Griese & the Gus Bus at QB.

Works for me.

People pay too much attention to numbers. Yeah, Shanahan won two super bowls with the Broncos. Yeah, he's a successful NFL head coach. Yeah, he led Bronco teams to the playoffs after Terrell Davis, John Elway, and Shannon Sharpe were done playing.

He's only been out of football for a year. He knows how to coach. He knows how to lead men. He knows how to get a team to play. I wouldn't say I'm excited about his arrival. When Gibbs came back I was excited. With Shanahan, I'm very optimistic about our chances of winning games, competing well in the NFC east, and going into post season play. On the offensive side of the ball, the Redskins have the talent to win games. Now they have the right coach to lead them.

Actually he had several post season apperances since Elway, but did only have 1 playoff win

Your question is like asking "what has Belichieck done without Tom Brady?"

BeliCheat really sucked when he coached the Cleveland Browns the OP could be saying we might have a guy who can't remake the magic of Denver's Terrell Davis and Elway here.

Archived