Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many of us are really excited about Mike Shanahan

gobigred

Shanahan will have the resources to field a 10 plus win team and that is what I expect him to do.

The guy is a professional and is pissed off. We are going to have a smart no nonsense no excuse winning team here.

I couldn't be happier.

As much as I don't like agreeing with you too often, Here, Here!!! couldn't have said it better. haha. That's what I believe and hope will happen.

I'm actually even more excited about Kyle Shanahan than I am Mike Shanahan.

^^ also a good point, we could possibly be set for the next decade if all goes like we hope with those two.

I think that you should qualify that a bit, or a lot.

With this line? With Campbell staying? With who at running back? Who at DC?

A little early to make predictions either way.

This.

The Redskins have a lot of holes right now. We're not a band-aid away from being able to compete the the NFCE, much less the NFL as a whole. My sights are set on 2011. We've got holes at almost every position...I'm not expecting much from next year except a visible change of direction.

Mike Shanahan had ONE losing season in his 13 years in Denver. I don't think we ever had a Coach with that type of record. Mike Shanahan is one of only 6 coaches in NFL history to win back to back SB's.

Yes.. I'm pretty ******* excited!!!!

He had two (6-10 in '99 and 7-9 in '07, when Brian Griese and Jay Cutler were first starting out). Still impressive, though.

Also, it'll be great to see a coach who isn't scared to put the players in their place.

Hopefully, and I stress HOPEFULLY, we will have some respect for our coaches that Zorn has lost, and they will know that Allen and his staff are in charge, unlike Cerrato and Zorn. Just such a huge difference in attitude. I get the feeling we will see players getting held accountable to a much larger scale. All Zorn ever said is "They have to execute" and then he'd march the same overpaid, egocentric starters out on gameday. I don't think Shanny will hesitate to bench a guy when he acts out.

And if we get Pappa Shanahan + Shanahan Jr. + Zimmer, yeah, I think it's worth being excited about. The brand new GM is just a cherry on top. I was okay with giving Zorn and company another year because I think their last two drafts have been okay, but I think we're about to see what a real coach can do with the solid talent we do have.

If there's one thing about Shanahan that does excite me is that he absolutely knows how to run a locker room and build a winning football team. He knows how to think on the fly, he knows how to spot talent and use it to it's utmost.

He's all business, does not accept losing, and will not put up with prima-donna attitudes. He knows how to handle the media, and that will be in his favor here.

There will be a clear attitude shift the moment he's hired.

~Bang

What concerns me is that Mike Shanahan will want to build a team for Mike Shanahan. I don't like that because if it doesn't work out then it sets our franchise back.

You imply that we're "one player away" as it stands now. This philosophy has been our downfall for the past ten years. We're ALREADY set back. Might as well start fresh with someone like Shanahan.

I'm excited about nothing until we have linemen.

Ryan Klady is a very nice name on the resumé. He may be the best tackle in football and he's only a soph. As a rookie I don't believe he gave up a single sack. Shanny does know how to spot them.

In fact, if you look at his last three drafts, quite impressive on the offensive side of the ball. If anything it shows he knows how to adapt to the changing strategies of the game.

~Bang

Shanny is going to be great. I cannot wait. Only 2 losing seasons in Denver in 14 yrs!!! How many have the Redskins had in that time. He always brings a top 10 aggressive offense to the party. Yes his playoff record is not great after Elway, but he did lose to Great teams. He lost to the Ravens and Steelers the year they won it all. He lost to the Colts another year. I would like to point out he also played and won in alot tougher Conference. He was going up against Colts, Patriots, Chargers, Steelers, and Ravens this decade for playoff wins. I would dare to say the top 5 teams outside of maybe philly this decade.

You imply that we're "one player away" as it stands now. This philosophy has been our downfall for the past ten years. We're ALREADY set back. Might as well start fresh with someone like Shanahan.
I implied nothing of the sort.

And we started fresh with Steve Spurrier. He built an entirely new team.

I implied nothing of the sort.

And we started fresh with Steve Spurrier. He built an entirely new team.

Steve Spurrier brought in guys who had no right to be second stringers on an NFL team, let alone starters.

Shanahan has a resume of bringing in great offensive talent, some of the best in the league.

See the difference? :whoknows:

Either way, only God knows how he'll do here. If he comes in, and it looks like he will, then I'm going to root for him until he gives me no reason to (he's not coaching here anymore, or he brings in malcontents as our personnnel).

If there's one thing about Shanahan that does excite me is that he absolutely knows how to run a locker room and build a winning football team. He knows how to think on the fly, he knows how to spot talent and use it to it's utmost.

He's all business, does not accept losing, and will not put up with prima-donna attitudes. He knows how to handle the media, and that will be in his favor here.

Agreed 100%. On top of that, if there's one thing that Mike Shanahan knows how to do and do well, it is how to build and run a top quality offense. If we manage to snag Mike Zimmer from the Bengals to run our defense, things could be really looking up for us alot sooner than we would have expected.

I'm not excited. I think it is a continuation of the let's hire a big name mindset. The same goes for Allen. Why couldn't we have gotten DeCosta? It's just more of the same. Anyone read the Banks @ SI article about former Super Bowl winning coaches coming back to other teams? Not promising.

Im excited for Shanahan!! He is an excellent coach that will bring respect and discipline to these players. You guys know we need that. Im tired of being a loser on sunday watching poor execution and guys play with no heart! In my lifetime I've only experienced mediocracy.

At this point I have no choice but to be excited.

Steve Spurrier brought in guys who had no right to be second stringers on an NFL team, let alone starters.

Shanahan has a resume of bringing in great offensive talent, some of the best in the league.

See the difference? :whoknows:

Of course I do. Spurrier had no idea what he was doing and the players didn't respect him.

He still turned us into a Steve Spurrier team. Getting rid of our strong running game and replacing it with QBs, Laverneas Coles, Taylor Jacbos, etc.

I hope Allen and Shanahan take time to properly evaluate our roster. Letting guys like *Jeremy Bridges (lol) go, when they are adequate depth are mistakes we can't continue to make.

Im excited for Shanahan!! He is an excellent coach that will bring respect and discipline to these players. You guys know we need that. Im tired of being a loser on sunday watching poor execution and guys play with no heart! In my lifetime I've only experienced mediocracy.

At this point I have no choice but to be excited.

:script::point2sky

I just want to impose this question, Why are we so excited about Mike Shanahan?

I'm excited because we 86'ed Vinny, hired a real GM, and I think Shanahan will instill the discipline and fire that this team is in dire need of. We actually might be going in the right direction as long as Napoleon stays out of the kitchen.

Archived