Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many of us are really excited about Mike Shanahan

gobigred

I'm extremely excited.

What were Shanahan's biggest concerns coming in?

That he's never won a Super Bowl?

Hasn't he come close? Hasn't he won division titles? Hasn't he been to a conference championship in the past couple of seasons?

I would love nothing more than to complain in 2011 about how the Redskins need to get their act together and finish off playoff games. Let's get to the point where we can complain about him not winning a Super Bowl first.

In absolute terms, I don't think much of Shanahan - I always felt he was the most overrated coach in the game (a title that Belichick currently owns). He was rather average other than when Elway was his QB, and his player personnel acquisition with the Broncos was highly questionable.

By average, are you referring to his multiple playoff appearances since Elway's departure? Or are you making a reference to the fact that his team was the first to ever beat a playoff team led by Tom Brady?

Are you including his success before Elway too? Such as him being the mind behind San Fran's Super Bowl win in 1995? The one where Steve Young threw for 6 touchdowns.

Is it no coincidence that both Young and Elway only won Super Bowls when they were led by Shanahan? Neither one of them could accomplish those feats without his influence.

I can't wait to get the HC out of the way. If his son comes along with the package, I am even more excited. Hopefully, things work well, and Kyle becomes the coach after Mike.

This.

I don't think Mike is here for a long tenure - my big issue. If Kyle is the real deal, and takes over after him, that'd be a nice decade (and more) of continuity.

Well to me, it seems this is pretty much a done deal, but to answer your question, I am more excited about the change Shanahan represents and the direction our franchise is headed...

I totally agree. Not excited about Shanny per se but excited that Cerrato is gone and that Allen-Shanny presents new hope. I do agree with the folks that Shanny is a re-tread type coach but you have to admit he is going to bring a lot more to the table then Zorn did and he will be the type that keeps Snyder out of the football side of things and will do it his way.

Shanny is a media favorite...the SB's did him good but the whole "I can put JOE BLOW at Running back and have him gain 1,000 yards" really is what the media ate up.

Im very cautiously optimistic things will get better, I mean they cant be any worse than the 2009 season in my eyes. 4-12 felt like 0-16.

Bring on 2010! HTTR!

How many Super Bowls did Elway win without Shanahan?

Exactly. And how many Super Bowls did Dan Marino win? To act like the QB is more important than the who the coach is or the rest of the team is turning a blind eye to history. An elite QB is necessary but not sufficient for a championship team.

I would have to say that I think this is at least a step in the right direction. I feel A LOT better right now than I did two years ago when Danny and Vinny chose a QB coach to be our HC.

Assuming Shanny is hired, that gives us a proven Head Coach and a proven GM (with family history connected to the Skins).... yeah, Im excited.

];7182646']I'm extremely excited.

He's won two.

Hasn't he been to a conference championship in the past couple of seasons?

Basically this is the only concern.

I would love nothing more than to complain in 2011 about how the Redskins need to get their act together and finish off playoff games. Let's get to the point where we can complain about him not winning a Super Bowl first.

Exactly. Not enough people think this way.

];7182646']I'm extremely excited.

Hasn't he come close? Hasn't he won division titles? Hasn't he been to a conference championship in the past couple of seasons?

By average' date=' are you referring to his multiple playoff appearances since Elway's departure? Or are you making a reference to the fact that his team was the first to ever beat a playoff team led by Tom Brady?

Are you including his success before Elway too? Such as him being the mind behind San Fran's Super Bowl win in 1995? The one where Steve Young threw for 6 touchdowns.

Is it no coincidence that both Young and Elway only won Super Bowls when they were led by Shanahan? Neither one of them could accomplish those feats without his influence.[/quote']

Shanny won 2 SB's with Elway.

I'm excited to see a real life professional football team take the field on Sundays and run a real life NFL quality offense that game plans and adjusts for opponents as well as our own team's deficiencies. I feel like I've been suffocating for the past two years.

So, yes, I am excited about Shanny coming here. Very excited.

thank you, see Dilfer, Trent or Johnson, Brad

This is such a bull**** argument. Go through every superbowl team. How many won with an elite QB and how many won with an average QB. The numbers will be completely lopsided. An average QB wins a superbowl once every 7-10 years. And his team dissapears afterwords.

Find me an average QB that won 2 superbowls or made the playoffs 3 years in a row. The stars do align once in awhile for average QBs, but that route is much tougher and affords much less reward.

I'm too damaged by the last couple of years to get too excited about anything. I'm excited about Bruce Allen but cautious, skeptical, and/or cynical about everything else. Shanahan does indeed have something to prove, I'll agree with that. He won't win me over until I see a top offense and a division title.

];7182646']

By average' date=' are you referring to his multiple playoff appearances since Elway's departure? Or are you making a reference to the fact that his team was the first to ever beat a playoff team led by Tom Brady?[/quote']

By average, I mean, after Elway retired, he won one less playoff game than the Washington Redskins did over the same timeframe.

];7182646']Are you including his success before Elway too? Such as him being the mind behind San Fran's Super Bowl win in 1995? The one where Steve Young threw for 6 touchdowns.

Is it no coincidence that both Young and Elway only won Super Bowls when they were led by Shanahan? Neither one of them could accomplish those feats without his influence.

Those teams/players were highly successful prior to Shanahan's arrival on the scene. Making good to excellent teams even better is great, but how has he done in bringing up a team that is down, has been terribly coached for two seasons, and has no proven top-notch QB to work with?

Look, I'm happy and believe that he will significantly improve the team. No question. But let's not pretend that he has shown any degree of consistent excellence when he hasn't had the luxury of having a HOF QB calling the signals for him.

Archived