Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins 2010 QB Competition who's in?

darrelgreenie

Its 2010 and (we're assuming) Jason Campbell has been re-signed for whatever reason (stop-gap, QB of the present).

Todd Collins has been released.

The Redskins need to bring a back-up QB to replace Collins who's capable of pushing Campbell for the starting spot and competing with Colt for the back-up spot.

Here are some names, i'm sure there are more:

Troy Smith

Matt Flynn

Dan Orlovsky

Brody Croyle

John David Booty

Kellen Clements

Charlie Frye

JP Losman

Seneca Wallace

Josh Johnson

Which current NFL QB would you like to see brought in and why?

I would like to see Josh Johnson brought in.

I've followed the kid during his draft process 2 years ago and i think he got a raw deal in Tampa Bay's regime change.

I also think he's a likely candidate (if available) because of his ties to Bruce Allen:

Prior to the draft, Johnson wowed scouts at the East-West Shrine Game and was named offensive MVP of that contest. Johnson timed a 4.4 40-yard dash in pre-draft workouts, and illustrated the athletic ability that made him a successful scrambling quarterback in college. The Buccaneers had coaching connections to Johnson, and get an honest assessment.

Johnson played in a West Coast offense in college under coaches John Harbaugh and Jonnie Morten. Those coaches are familiar to Tampa Bay general manager Bruce Allen and head coach Jon Gruden. Morten was on Gruden’s staff in Oakland, and Harbaugh was on the Raiders’ coaching staff coaching under Allen in 2003.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/4337

More on Josh Johnson:

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=JOH000001

combine:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/josh-johnson?id=264

draftguys scouting report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITaJVOX0BQ&feature=related

That would be my guess too, if Jason is retained, with a strong possibility of Bradford starting day one for Shanahan if he impresses from the get go.

Hail.

I'm kinda seeing it as JC gets tendered, no one wants to trade for him, so he's the stop gap for next season until the O-Line can be completely rebuilt. Then Bradford gets inserted. But I can also see Bradford being the type of guy Shanny could start Day 1, depending on how wel the O-Line gets addressed during FA.

That would be my guess too, if Jason is retained, with a strong possibility of Bradford starting day one for Shanahan if he impresses from the get go.

Hail.

Best guess right now is

JC - stop gap

CB5 #2

Bradford #3

I doesn't seem as if you guys read the OP.

Which current NFL QB would you like to see brought in to compete with Colt for the 2 spot and push JC for the starting spot?

And Why?

Apologies dg, I can't speak for TK, but I read too fast and missed the "current" half way down.

My bad.

And on from that, I can't answer that hypothetical, as I'm both swayed on the scenario I answered if Jason's still here, and don't see your question materializing; and I don't see any of those names being a much better option than letting Brennan push Jason in an open fight, and having Collins there as a vet. presence.

Hail.

my guess:

Campbell

Bradford

Brennan

that will be the order going into opening day, with bradford taking over around week 5 after campbell is sub .500 after 4 games. that being said, it is entirely dependent on a.) our offensive line, and b.) bradford's shoulder.

I beleive you're right but hate to see another year of Campbell had

enough really 3 coachs this man has gone through...

Sticking to the original question from that list I would want Josh Johnson or Kellen Clemmens brought in to push JC...Both are mobile and are good throwing on the run which is a prerequisite in a Shannahan offense what with all the bootlegs he utilizes...

Like other's I don't see that happening, I think we will draft a QB, and dump Colt Brennan...with the depth chart next yr looking like this:

1. JC(stop gap)

2. Josh Johnson/Kellen Clemmens

3. Clausen/McCoy/Bradford - in this order

Since the Redskins need offensive linemen in the draft, they may take a QB late in the draft, like the 5th or 6th round and have him as their third string QB. Even still, Campbell may very well get re-signed. With Colt Brennan being the third string QB his first year, and on IR his second, I can see him as the back up next season. I'd be surprised if Todd Collins even makes the roster even before training camp. Mainly because of his age (38) and the fact that he'll account for $ 3,000,000 against the salary cap.

Colt Brennan may push Jason Campbell in training camp for the starting QB job. I think Brennan may be better suited for Mike Shanahan's offense more so than Campbell.

I actually think when its all said and done thats theres at least a 50/50 chance that it will be the same as it is now. Campbell starts, Collins takes a slight pay cut and Brennan makes 3.

If it is, I dread seeing what this board is like come final cuts.

Archived