Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ultimate insult to Snyder would be Norv winning it all (MET)

Louskins9193

I'm not a Norv defender, but this is wrong. Norv went from 3-13 to 6-10 to 9-7...which was at least going in the right direction.

And whether you think Norv or Schottenheimer are ultimately responsible for the Chargers current successes, Dan can revel in the knowledge that he fired both of them.

He should of kept either one of those.

After Marty its been down hill.

The ultimate insult to Snyder would be that Norv Turner and the San Diego Chargers go all the way and win the Super Bowl. As Norv goes to the podium he says thank you to all his friends and family but I would like to thank Daniel Snyder most of all, for firing me ten years ago. Snyder did the Man wrong and I believe he is paying the price, what goes around comes around I always say!

your diggin man ... norv sucked here. sure he had a winning record when they canned him, but after 7 years...crap man, what do you want?

norv is on the gravy team with san diego...that team belongs to marty, not norv.

Canning Norv was not only the right thing to do it was overdue. Any other opinion is revisionist. Norv only got to the playoffs because someone, Snyder, put a boot up his arse. He was worse than mediocre and had a losing record after seven years against every NFC East team including the stinking, and I do mean stinking (did they ever have more than six wins back then) Cardinals.

If Norv learned something since swell, but you can tell by his trips to Oakland, Miami, and elsewhere that he was not Superman. Hell, even Robin would whup his butt.

The Saints going all the way with Gregg Williams would be the ultimate insult.

Actually, that's a hell of a lot closer to the truth. The Saints have been a nowhere team with a good/great O. If Williams is the difference that nets them a ring that is all on Snyder and Cerrato.

Actually, that's a hell of a lot closer to the truth. The Saints have been a nowhere team with a good/great O. If Williams is the difference that nets them a ring that is all on Snyder and Cerrato.

Williams has improved the Saints defense but the offense was already in place. There is nothing to indicate that hiring Williams as HC of the Redskins would have improved their offense. Even if it was true that he wasn't particulary fond of Campbell, that doesn't mean he's going to find someone better. And I have read that even if Williams isn't going to want to deal with QB/offense issues like he did in Buffalo, should he get an HC offere elsewhere (which he probably will)

The Saints have been a nowhere team with a good/great O. If Williams is the difference that nets them a ring that is all on Snyder and Cerrato.

Saints current defensive ranks:

pts allowed - 19th

yards allowed - 22nd

against the pass - 25th

against the rush - 18th

Not exactly awe-inspiring numbers. The reason they're 13-1 is they have one of the best offenses in NFL history.

Exactly, Norv has one of the best QBs in the league with tons of pieces in place. I don't think anyone could mess that up.

How many coaches have won anything without a great QB? Shula had Griese & Marino, Walsh had Montana, Jimmy had Aikman, Seifert had Young, Belichick has had Brady, Dungy had Manning, etc.

How many coaches have won anything without a great QB? Shula had Griese & Marino, Walsh had Montana, Jimmy had Aikman, Seifert had Young, Belichick has had Brady, Dungy had Manning, etc.

Marino never won anything. Your theory has merit, but he was never able to pull it off and is a bad example to use.

Canning Norv was not only the right thing to do it was overdue. Any other opinion is revisionist. Norv only got to the playoffs because someone, Snyder, put a boot up his arse. He was worse than mediocre and had a losing record after seven years against every NFC East team including the stinking, and I do mean stinking (did they ever have more than six wins back then) Cardinals.

If Norv learned something since swell, but you can tell by his trips to Oakland, Miami, and elsewhere that he was not Superman. Hell, even Robin would whup his butt.

Ricky Williams had a career year the year Norv was the OC in Miami, and even Jay Fiedler looked good that year. You can't even mention Oakland because we all know what kind of situation that's been. How was Norv supposed to win with these rosters?:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1994_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1995_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1996_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1997_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1998_roster.htm

If you want to blame anyone for Norv's record here, blame Charley Casserly and all of his crappy draft picks and free agent signings.

Saints current defensive ranks:

pts allowed - 19th

yards allowed - 22nd

against the pass - 25th

against the rush - 18th

Not exactly awe-inspiring numbers. The reason they're 13-1 is they have one of the best offenses in NFL history.

In terms of yards and points/per game, they are indeed in the bottom half of th eleague. But they lead the league with 37 takeaways. According to football outsiders ranks the New Orleans defense as #11 best in the league.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

Also consider that our #1(Jabari Greer), #2(Tracy Porter) corners have been out with injuries the past few weeks, and more recently our starting DT, Sedrick Ellis. In their place we've suited up semi-retired Mike McKenzie and Chris McAllister. Its like when the Redskins had to field Ade Jimoh and Mike Rumph as your starting CBs back in 2006 . The results were bound to be pretty ugly.

In terms of yards and points/per game, they are indeed in the bottom half of th eleague. But they lead the league with 37 takeaways. According to football outsiders ranks the New Orleans defense as #11 best in the league.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

Also consider that our #1(Jabari Greer), #2(Tracy Porter) corners have been out with injuries the past few weeks, and more recently our starting DT, Sedrick Ellis. In their place we've suited up semi-retired Mike McKenzie and Chris McAllister. Its like when the Redskins had to field Ade Jimoh and Mike Rumph as your starting CBs back in 2006 . The results were bound to be pretty ugly.

They have a playmaking defense, but that doesn't make it a "great" defense. And as many points as the Saints score, teams are forced to throw it a ton which usually results in turnovers unless your QB is named Brees, Manning, or Favre. Every team has injuries, and with those guys healthy they gave up 34 to an average Dolphins offense, and 434 yards to the Rams.

Nah, I disagree. Norv is ten years gone.. what he does now has no bearing on what he did here. This is his third job, not his first, and he's got more offensive talent than he's ever had. Rivers is the best QB he's had since Aikman by far.

I used to be bitter about Norv, but not anymore. I'll root for him in the playoffs.

~Bang

Snyder wasn't the last owner to fire Norv

...and Norv will be fired again at some point...

He had 7 years here and demostrated he couldn't lead this team... now with a few more years of experience learning from other coaches and himself... I'm sure he's improved all around...

Norv has much better talent in San Diego and he should be under pressure this year if they don't go far into the playoffs. Norv was a good offensive coordinator for the 49ers before he went to San Diego. I still think he is not head coach material unless you give him a bunch of stars like San Diego has done.

It happens all the time that "proven" head coaches move to a new team and never recapture their previous success. And "proven losers" get a fresh start and shed their old reputation.

It almost makes you think that there are too many variables to be able to reach any kind of definitive conclusion about a coach's true worth. That these guys are slaves to circumstances beyond their control, which is why many of them that have achieved success insist on being able to control football operations in their new venue.

But to embrace such thoughts would require humility and who needs that? Norv has acne scars and makes poor eye contact!

Archived