Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Field Goal? WTF? Who makes that call?

Zarg

I think the only thing that's stopping them from firing Zorn tonight is it's Christmas.

Then Danny needs to become the Grinch because Zorn needs to be fired TONIGHT. That play was the most pathetic and biggest pile of horsesh*t I've even seen in 25+ years of watching Redskins games. I agree with another poster who said that was probably Zorn giving a great big F-U to Danny. Fire Zorn now and bring in Shanny, why wait and let Jerrah get to him.

That was the worse called play I've ever witnessed in football

Absolutely. Out of all the horrible play calls I've seen this year, that was the worst I've seen, and quite possibly ever.

You are down 3 TDs and 1 FG. 24-0. Get the damn FG back at least and some points on the board. Instead, you run a play that would never work. Did Zorn even think that Smith could get the pass off with no protection? And none of the players even ran down field to catch the ball!

That one play exemplifies the whole season. Just clueless coaching. Zorn is an idiot, I can now say that with no hesitation.

"It was really good defense. It was really good defense. That's what hurt that play."

"I wish they had no timeouts left on the clock."

"The smelled it out really quickly. We really had no chance."

Did he also say "I thought..... umm.... that we had something there..... and give the Giants credit for seeing it...... but I still felt like we had something..... and umm..... you know..... it just umm.... didn't work, but I really felt we had something there."

:mad:

it was 4th and 4 from the 20, with about 21 seconds left.

Call the timeout. Line up Collins and go for a 1st down or a TD. Even if it completed inbounds, we could stop the clock and have 2 plays left.

It is another example of our horrid clock, game and situation management.

Collins was 2-4 for 57 yards and a 95 + average at that point.

Then, we never see Collins again.

This thread is cracking me up... so, so funny. I had the same reaction as the poster who said he usually yells, but this time he just laughed. That's all you could do with this one. Hands down, the most embarrassing single play from scrimmage I've ever seen the Redskins run, and possibly in any football game on any level, ever.

The entire point of the timeout was to reset and stop our first attempt, and to figure out how to defend against the bizarre formation. And the play itself, where do you even begin?! Let's assume, just for a laugh, that the play had a snowball's chance in hell of actually working, okay? Right - so, WHY would you send the kicker to the SAME sideline as all the receivers, but not have him run for a pass or try to block? Gano just stood on the sideline, looking clueless. Right off the bat, that turns the play into 10-on-11 football and leaves us shorthanded. At least split him wide right, to lure a defender away from the other receivers.

I could go on for days... lol

The play was actually quite well designed if run the first time before the Giants timeout. It is an old high school/college trick play that has been around forever. Behind the 7 lineman on the left was Fred Davis tucked into the line. What "should" have happened was Fred Davis would step back and catch a VERY quick pass from Hunter Smith. To work, Hunter had to get rid of the ball quickly because there were not blockers.

Why Zorn decided to stay with the play after the timeout made no sense. It was clear what the Skins were going to do since there really was only one option. The entire play was not executed correctly. Smith did not throw it towards Davis and there was no Redskin anywhere near where Smith threw the ball. Smith should have been throwing the ball on a dart to Davis on the left to run behind 7 blockers.

Zorn is laughing it up right now during the post game presser when they asked him that. Seriously what is wrong with him

He knows his days are numbered and he's probably just trying to have some fun with the situation. Maybe a big "F U" for Snyder?

They had obviously practiced it and insisted on running it in the game even after the Giants had called the timeout. Just take the points and go into the locker room down 21. You get the ball first in the second half.

LOL, if they practiced it and it worked in practice, we have more problems then we thought. That had failure written all over it.

Redskins coach Jim Zorn credited the Giants' "good defense" for stopping his team's gamble:

"I contemplated just kicking the field goal after (the timeout). The play was unique enough that I didn't think they saw what we were really trying to do. But they smelled it out pretty quickly. We didn't really have a chance."

Redskins' Jim Zorn defends botched fake field goal attempt vs. Giants

Everybody saw what was coming, Zorn may have called it on purpose who knows ?. Mike Holmgren will probably give him a job in Cleveland.

First thing I would have done when we signed Gano was to teach El to hold. I like Hunter, and think he's a great holder, but you put El in there to hold there and you have a whole new world of plays to run.

In that situation, if you're going to run a HS set, do it correctly. El at holder/QB and put Smith as the kicker. At that point it's fairly obvious we're not going to kick it. So what would I do out of that formation?

I would snap to El, throw a screen left to Smith and have El release to the end zone and have Smith catch and throw the ball as quickly as possible to El on the right sideline.

That said... I'm not running the Swinging Gate in the NFL... :P

And thinking inside the box like that keeps you from being the head coach of the Washington Redskins.

Oh yeah?

It worked great last night, eh?

I'm not an Inside the box kind of guy. I think outside the box, but in that situation, with the Giants defense lined up like they were... There was zero shot of that play succeeding.

You're defending that? There's plenty of trick plays to run in that situation... There's also a base offense to run. That's a high school offense that shouldn't work in the NFL.

Oh yeah?

It worked great last night, eh?

I'm not an Inside the box kind of guy. I think outside the box, but in that situation, with the Giants defense lined up like they were... There was zero shot of that play succeeding.

You're defending that? There's plenty of trick plays to run in that situation... There's also a base offense to run. That's a high school offense that shouldn't work in the NFL.

Sarcasm. Look it up.

Geez.

Archived