Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another team enters the Shanahan chase

MAATopDogg

Bull**** it isn't known. I mentioned Jerruh days ago.

And again, you had to know once the december slide started that it WOULD be a bidding war. Dan's dong the smart thing, he must get in position to act ASAP, and even thought it comes at the expense of Zorn's dignity, that thing's been taken away a while ago, so might as well just move on.

Chris Meidt. He's bright. Probably smarter than Zorn. He knows the scheme and personnel as well as anyone. He's learned Zorn's QB expertise. He's light on experience, but he's not a proven mediocrity.

It won't happen, though. Not enough of a splash to satisfy Snyder, the typical fan.

Uh, Oldfan... really? I mean, I'm not by any means set on a veteran HC, but I DEFINITELY do not want another QB coach straight to HC. Any HC should have at least been a coordinator before. How many times in NFL history had a HC never been a coordinator before prior to Zorn? And how many times have those guys been successful?

Chris Meidt. He's bright. Probably smarter than Zorn. He knows the scheme and personnel as well as anyone. He's learned Zorn's QB expertise. He's light on experience, but he's not a proven mediocrity.

It won't happen, though. Not enough of a splash to satisfy Snyder, the typical fan.

Hopefully from what i hear the choice is completey up to Allen

Uh, Oldfan... really? I mean, I'm not by any means set on a veteran HC, but I DEFINITELY do not want another QB coach straight to HC. Any HC should have at least been a coordinator before. How many times in NFL history had a HC never been a coordinator before prior to Zorn? And how many times have those guys been successful?

There is that fat guy in Philly..............

So do you see us having trouble landing him or do you think we have the edge with Allen aleady being in place?

I think at this point Allen gives us that edge as its been mentioned that he's a guy Shanny would want to work with. We're about to add another chapter to the Skins/Pukes rivalry. :)

I think at this point Allen gives us that edge as its been mentioned that he's a guy Shanny would want to work with. We're about to add another chapter to the Skins/Pukes rivalry. :)

Good, i just don't want teams to run through our defense like a wet paper bag. Thats my only concern at the moment.

Damn man, I need to bump my "this is going to be a bidding war" thread back. Cause I CALLED this the second Dallas lost that second game of December to San Diego. The thing that's interesting is when we play the Cowboys next week. This offseason will be interesting for sure.

I think Bruce Allen and Jerry Jones Jr. should wrastle over it. What a great half time show for the Sunday night game here!

Shanahan's agent should arrange some way to get him into Jerruh's suite tonight in NO. Can you imagine if Snyder saw that? INSTANT 5-year $75 million offer tonight from Danny.

Has that been confirmed anywhere? I remember an article posted somewhere that 980 reported that Allen wouldn't work with Shanny. Since then we've had a ton of articles with people trying to connect the dots between the two, even going as far as saying that Allen was a prerequisite for Shanny to sign anywhere.

Personally, I don't buy that part. Snyder had an interest in Allen during the offseason and I think the move is mostly unrelated to Shanahan. (other than the possibility that having Vinny here definitely would have turned Shanahan off, but that was debatable due to Vinny having a relationship with him as well.)

Personally, I think the Skins are getting a head start in their evaluating of candidates that they can talk to right now. (Either currently under contract or not under contract to anyone.) I assume the candidates include Zorn.

WOW We really need to get movin

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/19/another-team-enters-the-shanahan-chase/

With the Redskins trying to reel in Mike Shanahan, we're told that another team has commenced the pursuit of the free-agent coach.

The identity of the team currently isn't known, but it's our understanding that the team in question is battling for a playoff berth, and that the team is concerned that, if the team waits until its season ends, it will be too late to make a serious play for Shanahan.

Two playoff contenders that immediately come to mind are the Texans and the Cowboys. The rumor mill has linked Shanahan to both teams.

You can pretty much add the Bears to this list, Lovie Smith is likely going to get broken off January 4th. Shanny has Illinois roots plus of course Cutler is the Bears QB, and there's an additional connection with Bob Slowik being there. I'm hoping that Danny has gotten a leg up on the Shanny sweepstakes right now, I guess we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

You can pretty much add the Bears to this list, Lovie Smith is likely going to get broken off January 4th. Shanny has Illinois roots plus of course Cutler is the Bears QB, and there's an additional connection with Bob Slowik being there. I'm hoping that Danny has gotten a leg up on the Shanny sweepstakes right now, I guess we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

Report: Lovie Smith is safe

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/report-lovie-smith-is-safe/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 10:15 PM ET

Despite a 5-8 record and a third straight season of missed playoffs in a year of expectations much higher than that, Bears coach Lovie Smith will return in 2010, according to John Mullin of CSN Chicago. (Thanks for the tip, BlogdownChicagoBears.com.)

Citing "two highly placed individuals within the organization," Mullin explains that there will not be a change at the top of the organization, due in part to concerns regarding a work stoppage in 2011.

Mullin also explains that the team will likely be making no announcements in this regard, and that the proof will flow from the fact that Smith isn't fired when the season ends.

The report says nothing about the status of offensive coordinator Ron Turner. If he isn't fired, we recommend buying stock in any companies that sell pitchforks and/or torches in the greater Chicago area.

In either case (Redskins and Cowboys) Shanahan will not get the control and power that he is looking for. Jones overtly runs the team while Dan is involved in a more subtle way. Yet both organizations have owners who just can't stay out of the meetings.

I don't care what Danny may say in the courting process. When it comes down to it, he'll still be involved in decisions that he has no business being in.

So with all of these things being said, I cannot understand why Shanahan would want to go to Washington or Dallas. They just don't seem to be the right places for a guy who is seeking total authority. I guess money talks . . .

Shanahan is a great play caller and offensive mind. Although, I just can't help but look at his record without Elway and think that he benefited from great players. If it were up to me, between the big name coaches out there, Gruden would be a better fit. But that's just me.

Hell . . . What I really want us to do is find the next great Head Coach and hire him. How about a young guy like Leslie Frazier or someone who can come in with the enthusiasm and drive to do whatever it takes to put his team in the best position to win?

In either case (Redskins and Cowboys) Shanahan will not get the control and power that he is looking for. Jones overtly runs the team while Dan is involved in a more subtle way. Yet both organizations have owners who just can't stay out of the meetings.

Except that Jones did give Parcells a lot of power when he was there. If Jones is frustrated enough with the performance of his team, he'll do it again.

Coaching isn't Dallas's problem.

It's the sense of entitlement that every player has on that team. Ever see a Cowboy make a great play and just get up and go back to the huddle? Me neither.

Sure, every team is full of people who aren't exactly the most modest, but without FAIL every time a decent play is made by a Dallas player, they act like they just won the Super Bowl. The team is average. Where is all this talent they say they have year in and year out? They compare favorably to Washington in a lot of positions and we're considered to be bad.

WTF?

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Shanahan will be here. Dallas isn't as set to win as much of the media would lead people to believe. Romo sits to pee is Jake Plummer 2.0 and Shanahan couldn't win with the real Plummer he's not going to want to mess around with the 2.0 version.

In Washington Shanahan will be allowed to bring in a QB of his choice (most likely through the draft) to groom and make his next Elway. Dallas is set to muddle at 8-8 for the next 5 years because they don't have the team to get over the hump. Our team is ready to be blown up and built up and Shanahan knows he'll be able to do more here because of it.

Report: Lovie Smith is safe

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/report-lovie-smith-is-safe/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 10:15 PM ET

Despite a 5-8 record and a third straight season of missed playoffs in a year of expectations much higher than that, Bears coach Lovie Smith will return in 2010, according to John Mullin of CSN Chicago. (Thanks for the tip, BlogdownChicagoBears.com.)

Citing "two highly placed individuals within the organization," Mullin explains that there will not be a change at the top of the organization, due in part to concerns regarding a work stoppage in 2011.

Mullin also explains that the team will likely be making no announcements in this regard, and that the proof will flow from the fact that Smith isn't fired when the season ends.

The report says nothing about the status of offensive coordinator Ron Turner. If he isn't fired, we recommend buying stock in any companies that sell pitchforks and/or torches in the greater Chicago area.

That's news to me, because listening to a few Chicago radio stations in recent weeks, it has sounded like Smith is good as gone, and Shanny's name was coming up as a possible replacement given his connections to Cutler & his Ill. roots.

In Washington Shanahan will be allowed to bring in a QB of his choice (most likely through the draft) to groom and make his next Elway.

Possibly, but I wouldn't be so sure.

I heard some talk on Sirius that Shanny has liked what Jason has become this season, so we will see.

Archived