Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another team enters the Shanahan chase

MAATopDogg

Possibly, but I wouldn't be so sure.

I heard some talk on Sirius that Shanny has liked what Jason has become this season, so we will see.

Fair enough. But even if Shanny likes what he's seen (presumably that is mostly from the last few weeks) I can't imagine he'd back on JC. That's why even if Shanahan was to come here and keep JC he'd still draft a QB high. Something like what San Diego did with Brees and Rivers. And NO I am not comparing Campbell to Brees just saying that coaches like to hedge their bets.

Can we just change the name of PFT to RFT?

From the Rooney rule, to Shanny, to Snyder/Vinny/Allen, we are always on the front page.

Get some new news.

EDIT: They are now reporting how much snow we are removing from FedEx: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/19/redskins-will-remove-25-million-pounds-of-snow-1/

Would it be Rooney Football Talk or Redskins Football Talk?

Interesting that its us vs. Dallas for Shanny.

Wonder if both Snyder and Jerry are actually interested or if one is just trying to drive up the price for the other guy.

Fair enough. But even if Shanny likes what he's seen (presumably that is mostly from the last few weeks) I can't imagine he'd back on JC. That's why even if Shanahan was to come here and keep JC he'd still draft a QB high. Something like what San Diego did with Brees and Rivers. And NO I am not comparing Campbell to Brees just saying that coaches like to hedge their bets.

In my perfect world, we would keep Jason and draft OL high, but I wouldn't lash out on taking a QB for Shanny to groom.

where there's smoke there's fire.

Shanahan will be here. Dallas isn't as set to win as much of the media would lead people to believe. Romo sits to pee is jake plummer 2.0 and shanahan couldn't win with the real plummer he's not going to want to mess around with the 2.0 version.

In washington shanahan will be allowed to bring in a qb of his choice (most likely through the draft) to groom and make his next elway. Dallas is set to muddle at 8-8 for the next 5 years because they don't have the team to get over the hump. Our team is ready to be blown up and built up and shanahan knows he'll be able to do more here because of it.

+1

Just remember in 2008 all the rumors in the media about who our next HC would be and how we all thought some big named HC would arrive at Redskins Park within days of Joe Gibbs retirement...and then Jim Zorn showed up.

Just saying.

The reason that those big named coaches didn't come here is no longer a part of the Front Office.

Just saying. ;)

In my perfect world, we would keep Jason and draft OL high, but I wouldn't lash out on taking a QB for Shanny to groom.

I don't know about JC. ESPN's Profile on Brennan is:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?playerId=11420

Comment: A gunslinger with an aggressive mentality. Accurate, puts good touch on passes and leads receivers on slant routes. Flashes the ability to throw into tight spaces on routes coming over the middle (in-route, posts, etc). Throws a tight spiral, steps into throws and knows how to lead his receivers. Is quick and mobile. Buys a lot of second chances with his feet. Also is capable of tucking the ball and running for first downs when opportunity presents itself. Has good ball skills and fields errant shotgun snaps well. Confident and aggressive. Wants the ball in his hands late in games. Is tough and will play through pain. Has adequate lower body strength and is a tough runner for his size.

Maybe Shanahan sees an opportunity to work with Colt to be his next Cutler. I am merely speculating here. Maybe he drafts a QB as well. Who knows but Brennan is a gunslinger and that's what Shanahan likes in his QBs.

I don't know about JC. ESPN's Profile on Brennan is:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?playerId=11420

Comment: A gunslinger with an aggressive mentality. Accurate, puts good touch on passes and leads receivers on slant routes. Flashes the ability to throw into tight spaces on routes coming over the middle (in-route, posts, etc). Throws a tight spiral, steps into throws and knows how to lead his receivers. Is quick and mobile. Buys a lot of second chances with his feet. Also is capable of tucking the ball and running for first downs when opportunity presents itself. Has good ball skills and fields errant shotgun snaps well. Confident and aggressive. Wants the ball in his hands late in games. Is tough and will play through pain. Has adequate lower body strength and is a tough runner for his size.

Maybe Shanahan sees an opportunity to work with Colt to be his next Cutler. I am merely speculating here. Maybe he drafts a QB as well. Who knows but Brennan is a gunslinger and that's what Shanahan likes in his QBs.

That scares me.

Cutler has had a disaster of a season in Chicago, and I really don't think Colt has what it takes to be a good NFL QB. He couldn't even beat out Chase Daniel in pre-season.

The reason that those big named coaches didn't come here is no longer a part of the Front Office.

Just saying. ;)

I agree with you, but the point I was trying to make was not to believe every rumor that's out there. Why don't we just enjoy the last few games of the season, and then hopefully the new HC will be announced and we can all speculate/discuss then?

I find it interesting that Holmgren is dragging his feet over the Cleveland job when it could be his. I'm not insinuating he'd come here but maybe Jones has him on his radar for GM/HC also.

Can you really see Jerrah giving up the GM title? :hysterical:

He's probably waiting to see if the other shoe drops in Seattle before he says anything to the Brownies. All things being equal, he'd probably want to be the GM/HC of the Seahags over the Steamers.

I'm telling you right now..if we let the cowboys take shanny away from us we'll regret it for years...

Eh, look at his record without Elway/Terrell Davis and Shanny doesn't look that impressive.

I'm not so sure Shanny is that great of a coach.

In fact I'm disappointed that we really only seem to be chasing Shanny and Gruden, I'm not a fan of either.

Chris Meidt. He's bright. Probably smarter than Zorn. He knows the scheme and personnel as well as anyone. He's learned Zorn's QB expertise. He's light on experience, but he's not a proven mediocrity.

It won't happen, though. Not enough of a splash to satisfy Snyder, the typical fan.

How do you define mediocrity? 500 record? Which is better than the Snyder era and the last two years under Zorn, so record wise that's an improvement. But Shanny has been better than that with or WITHOUT Elway.

I know the rap on Shanny with some is he only won with Elway like Elway was winning Superbowls before Shanny arrived.

But even playing along with that logic. Shanny is 21 games over 500 WITHOUT Elway, including going 13-3 with the magical QB play of the mighty Jake Plummer. He constantly had top 10 offenses.

I know Oldfan you like Zorn and am with you when it comes to being concerned about Shanny the GM -- is it that you listen and watch Zorn and tell yourself, Shanny just doesn't get how to run an offense the way Zorn does? If so, am surprised. If the concern is Shanny the GM or you are worried about what happens with the defense, I see that point.

IN SF, Shanny as O coordinator ran some of the more prolific offenses of all time. I just don't see how he is a downgrade from Zorn. And its not as if Zorn is some up and comer, he's about the same age as Shanny -- he just hasn't been promoted as fast.

He let Parcels do it.

Different circumstances and different men.

When Jerrah let Parcells take over the GM title, the Cowboys were in shambles, having been 5-11 for 3 years straight. Parcells, known as a team builder, was hired to do just that. The problem with the Cowboys now is that they can't finish in December.

Holmgren is not known as a team builder as his GM record in Seattle shows, but rather a creative coach that can make good players better. In early 2003, Jerrah was desperate to get Parcells to rebuild the team. If he fires Son of Bum at the end of the season, it won't be out of desperation but knowledge that he isn't a closer.

All he needs right now is a good coach, not someone that will be hogging his GM recliner in his new 1 billion dollar tidy bowl stadium.

So your under the impression that the bad FO moves were ENTIRELY Vinny's fault? Or that the big name coaches didn't think "Gee, I really don't want to work with a meddling owner".

Talk about a swing and a miss, you totally struck out.

Again. Pay attention, you may learn something.

Around league circles it was very well a known fact that no one wanted to come to Washington because they didn't want to deal with Cerrato. It had very little to do with Snyder himself.

Also, during the presser for Allen, Snyder flat out said that he had been involved much less with the team in the years past than had actually been reported. Now this may be hogwash, but without any credible source on your part, you have to take the man at his word.

Again. Pay attention, you may learn something.

Around league circles it was very well a known fact that no one wanted to come to Washington because they didn't want to deal with Cerrato. It had very little to do with Snyder himself.

Also, during the presser for Allen, Snyder flat out said that he had been involved much less with the team in the years past than had actually been reported. Now this may be hogwash, but without any credible source on your part, you have to take the man at his word.

I don't take him at his word at all.

In fact, its been well known in league circles that many people don't want to work with Snyder.

Obviously Vinny was an awful GM and needed to go, but Snyder is still here and presents an issue unless he backs off.

I don't take him at his word at all.

In fact, its been well known in league circles that many people don't want to work with Snyder.

Obviously Vinny was an awful GM and needed to go, but Snyder is still here and presents an issue unless he backs off.

Where's the evidence that coaches did not want to come here in 2006 due to Snyder? There isn't any. If you're going to pull that out of your ass, you need to come up with something supporting this.

And again with nothing to prove your point other than bile and venom for Snyder, you have to take his word that Vinny was actually running the day to day show and he was signing off on big decisions, just as he will be doing with Allen.

Where's the evidence that coaches did not want to come here in 2006 due to Snyder? There isn't any. If you're going to pull that out of your ass, you need to come up with something supporting this.

And again with nothing to prove your point other than bile and venom for Snyder, you have to take his word that Vinny was actually running the day to day show and he was signing off on big decisions, just as he will be doing with Allen.

You'd like to make the claim that Snyder has had nothing, or even little to do with the decisions made here in DC?

You've got to be kidding.

Just saying. ;)

Has Danny left and I didn't hear about it? Because DANNY has been the reason that some big name coaches haven't come here, not Vinny imo although there are reports that Shanny wouldn't come here if Vinny was retained.

Archived