Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Advent Conspiracy

SnyderShrugged

I heard about this movement on the news this morning and was somewhat enamoured with it's premise.

http://www.adventconspiracy.org/hope/

In short, it's a movement to get Christians to act like Christians during this holy time of year (Thats me paraphrasing)

I plan to incorporate some of these ideas into our Christmas celebration this year and try to get involved earlier next year and beyond.

I'm also wondering if it will still be en vouge after the recession is over.

Is anyone here involved with this by chance?

I'm glad this isn't what I thought this was going to be (a la Hubbs' comment), but given that that kind of garbage surfaces every year, I can actually understand why they named it that way. It's actually kind of a clever attention grabber.

And, while it is certainly true that Jesus was almost certainly not born any time near December, there's nothing wrong with observing tradition, especially at the time most people expect it to be observed.

I'm glad this isn't what I thought this was going to be (a la Hubbs' comment), but given that that kind of garbage surfaces every year, I can actually understand why they named it that way. It's actually kind of a clever attention grabber.

And, while it is certainly true that Jesus was almost certainly not born any time near December, there's nothing wrong with observing tradition, especially at the time most people expect it to be observed.

Thats kind of how I saw the name too, more of an attention grabber.

I think the main reason I posted it has been lost on folks though, i was trying to see if anyone else appreciates the "getting back to basics" christian Christmas.

Still, it sucks to have our major holiday occur at an inaccurate time. It's like celebrating your birthday 3 months early every year.

Still, it sucks to have our major holiday occur at an inaccurate time. It's like celebrating your birthday 3 months early every year.

I agree, but then I'm the guy that harangues my family for putting up a manger scene, because that is ridiculously inaccurate historically too (there weren't necessarily 3 wise men, just three gifts, and they arrived when Jesus was around 2 years old, not when he was in the manger... they couldn't teleport when they saw the star, come on!!! :))

It is, however, too late now.

It's a shame that Christians don't strive to act like "Christians" at all times of the year.

Bah Humbug

I would have thought that Jews would have learned not to rile up Christians by now. ;)

and :( (because I'm teasing, but there's too much truth to that).

Too bad that the "holy time of the year" is manufactured to occur now rather than the actual time period (which is around Feb/March).

That is, unless you are pagan and you are celebrating the winter solstice (with pagan tree decorating).

:silly:

1999 called- wants its quips back

Interesting. I personally hate the commercial aspects of Christmas. I really need to start acting more Christ-like in my every day life, why not use this as an excuse to jump start it? I haven't given time or money to charity recently, perhaps I should do that when I get home next Monday. I have a free day Wednesday, maybe I'll hand out sandwiches in DC.

Interesting. I personally hate the commercial aspects of Christmas. I really need to start acting more Christ-like in my every day life, why not use this as an excuse to jump start it? I haven't given time or money to charity recently, perhaps I should do that when I get home next Monday. I have a free day Wednesday, maybe I'll hand out sandwiches in DC.

There ya go!!:)

LOL, sounds like the teacher and school in this story need to join the movement!

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9CJTKRO0&show_article=1

TAUNTON, Mass. (AP) - An 8-year-old boy was sent home from school and ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation after he was asked to make a Christmas drawing and came up with what appeared to be a stick figure of Jesus on a cross, the child's father said Tuesday.

Chester Johnson told WBZ-TV that his son made the drawing on Dec. 2 after his second-grade teacher asked children to sketch something that reminded them of the holiday.

Johnson said the teacher became upset when his son said he drew himself on the cross. Johnson, who is black, told WBZ he suspects racism is involved. He said he thinks the school overreacted and wants an apology.

Johnson told the Taunton Daily Gazette, which first reported the story on Tuesday, that his son gets specialized reading and speech instruction and has never been violent in school.

more at link

I read through the main points and I don't see anything wrong with people adopting those ideas around the holiday season.

I think many people do it...but it's important to remember why Christmas is celebrated.

I agree, this is what we do and have done for years, I thought it was odd that the video said "this is your new tradition", I couldn't help but think that it would have read more accurately "this is the old tradition", because what we have now is the "new tradition" but then telling someone to do something that is old doesn't sell well now a days. :whoknows:

Archived