Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980: Laron Landry to play Strong Safety against the Raiders per Vinny Cerrato

Springfield

The most promising thing I saw all day today was when Landry absolutely drilled an Oakland Raider near the sidelines. You could clearly hear the impact on the broadcast.

But the hit isn't what caught my attention. What did catch my eye is that after the hit, Landry simply got up and walked back toward the huddle.

Y'all can keep hating on Dirty30 he ain't going no where....

4183674368_461643f81b.jpg

Only on extremeskins Skins does a few mistakes turn an otherwise solid season of a young up and coming FS into one of the worst players on the team:doh:

I remember when the entire board was bagging on Reed and had written him off as the worst safety in the league, LoL

Only on extremeskins Skins does a few mistakes turn an otherwise solid season of a young up and coming FS into one of the worst players on the team:doh:

I remember when the entire board was bagging on Reed and had written him off as the worst safety in the league, LoL

His missed tackles and biting on double moves resulted in several touchdowns this season. He makes plays that every starting safety in the league would make and runs around like he just made the play of the year...And then he goes out and gets burned and gives up a touchdown. He is a moron. Only on extremeskins does one good game make people forget that.

Y'all can keep hating on Dirty30 he ain't going no where....

4183674368_461643f81b.jpg

Laron had been consistently bad all year, and didn't exactly light it up last year.

You make it sound like he only had one bad game

Yeah I was at the game and I definately saw Reed Daughty lining up 20 yards downfield a lot, which is the usual spot for Landry.

I think this is the right move as Landry was drafted to play SS, and was only forced into FS due to the void Sean Taylor's passing left.

Today's game is big evidence in how much more effective Landry is at SS.

His missed tackles and biting on double moves resulted in several touchdowns this season. He makes plays that every starting safety in the league would make and runs around like he just made the play of the year...And then he goes out and gets burned and gives up a touchdown. He is a moron. Only on extremeskins does one good game make people forget that.

Meanwhile, Reed Doughty has done everything asked of him at SS and more, only to find that the importance of moving a highly-paid top draft pick into a less embarrassing position outweighs his own record of consistent excellence.

In SnyderattoLand, this is called "accountability."

Meanwhile, Reed Doughty has done everything asked of him at SS and more, only to find that the importance of moving a highly-paid top draft pick into a less embarrassing position outweighs his own record of consistent excellence.

In SnyderattoLand, this is called "accountability."

Except that Reed got a lot of snaps today. I actually didn't see much of Moore.

After seeing a lot of talk about Laron, I think his big issue is that he needs to look more at the receiver and less at the QB. He just loses track of the receiver way too often. It would be something if he was making plays on the ball, but he seems to badly misread the QB as well.

His missed tackles and biting on double moves resulted in several touchdowns this season.

You see this is how it starts.

Landry took a couple of poor angles in the Atlanta game; 1 that may have lead to a TD, but Landry missed tackles came after the front 7 didn't do their job and in a team game like football it matters.

Landry bit on couple double moves in the Saints game 1 was clearly his fault the other was his fault but more-so Smoot's fault.

But either way its what 2 bad games?

Every player is gonna have a bad game, every DB is gonna get beat.

Horton was benched for missing tackles and getting beat but people don't hate on him the way they way you hate on Landry.

He makes plays that every starting safety in the league would make and runs around like he just made the play of the year...And then he goes out and gets burned and gives up a touchdown. He is a moron. Only on extremeskins does one good game make people forget that.

It sounds to me like your dislike for his after the play antics clouds your opinion of him as player.

And is there really any need to call him a moron?

Does it make you feel good?

You see this is how it starts.

It doesn't make me feel good. Its embarrassing to have him on my favorite team. I've never seen a player get beat so much in one season yet still shake his head, cross his arms, wave at fans, ect. so much. Then he completely misses a tackle that results in a big play and says "it wasn't my responsibility" to make the tackle. Sorry, but its the responsibility of everyone on the defense to tackle the guy with the ball when he is in your vicinity. I classify his lack of accountability as moronic/delusional behavior. Atleast DeAngelo admited when he messed up earlier this season. Has LaRon done that once?

It doesn't make me feel good. Its embarrassing to have him on my favorite team. I've never seen a player get beat so much in one season yet still shake his head, cross his arms, wave at fans, ect. so much. Then he completely misses a tackle that results in a big play and says "it wasn't my responsibility" to make the tackle. Sorry, but its the responsibility of everyone on the defense to tackle the guy with the ball when he is in your vicinity. I classify his lack of accountability as moronic/delusional behavior. Atleast DeAngelo admited when he messed up earlier this season. Has LaRon done that once?

I can tell you one player that got beaten so much in his third year .. Saftey played center field bit so hard on play action wore 21 around 2006 . Landry has not been outstanding but he is no bust either . One thing does bother me . If he moves to SS on a more consistent basis over the next few weeks then is Eric Berry in our future ?

Landry bit on couple double moves in the Saints game 1 was clearly his fault the other was his fault but more-so Smoot's fault.

No. It wasn't. It was on Landry. Passing the buck is something apologists do, and you're better than that, dg. Landry is TERRIBLE against the double move, he bit on another one again yesterday.

But either way its what 2 bad games?

More than that, but he's a guy that once he gets going he's tough to stop. I don't want to get rid of LaRon by any means. If he learns to play the double move, and wraps up a bit more he could be an absolute stud for us. He played extremely well yesterday, and it could be argued that yesterday was his first good game of the season. He's had quite a few decent games, and a few terrible games.

Is it coincidence that he was playing strong safety and not free safety? Probably not. He looked like he did as a rookie out there. It was alot more fun to watch him in that role and he was much more productive.

Every player is gonna have a bad game, every DB is gonna get beat.

Horton was benched for missing tackles and getting beat but people don't hate on him the way they way you hate on Landry.

He was still making less mistakes than Landry was at that point. The reason Landry gets more leeway (and more hate for that matter) is due to his contract. The high paid guy always gets more attention, regardless of whether its deserved or not.

No. I'm not sure what's with people around here and name calling. It seems like they have nothing better to add so they'll just throw in random insults.

No. It wasn't. It was on Landry. Passing the buck is something apologists do, and you're better than that, dg. Landry is TERRIBLE against the double move, he bit on another one again yesterday.

Does getting beat maybe twice, makes someone 'terrible'?

I don't recall these numerous times everyone is claiming that Landry got beat.

Well i'm not being an apologist i'm trying to be accurate.

The reason why i say that 2nd move TD wasn't all on Landry is because we were in Cover 4, and that in-breaking route was his responsibility.

Look, don't listen to me Mike Mayock, Greg Cossel and Mike Martz they all point this out watch these clips and tell me wether i'm passing the buck or being accurate when i say:

Originally Posted by darrelgreenie viewpost.gif

Landry bit on couple double moves in the Saints game 1 was clearly his fault the other was his fault but more-so Smoot's fault

00:34-01:53

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-the-coaches/09000d5d814cc475/The-Coaches-Saints-chalk-talk

01:30

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d814d6201/WK-13-Anatomy-Brees-bombs-away

01:02

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d814d21ee/WK-13-Playbook-Saints-vs-Redskins-recap

discussion on our zone concepts:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=300185&page=6

Yeah he got beat on a double move when he was in man-to-man coverage which isn't something he's used to doing as a single deep FS.

More than that, but he's a guy that once he gets going he's tough to stop. I don't want to get rid of LaRon by any means. If he learns to play the double move, and wraps up a bit more he could be an absolute stud for us

They way people talk around here, you and me might be in the minority in wanting to keep Landry.

I think his getting beat is an exception rather then the rule.

Landry spends the majority of the games playing Cover 1/3 single deep FS where he covers the deep middle.

The few times he got beat he was in Cover 2 and Cover 4; which have different responsibilities it has more chances to make plays by breaking on routes and imo Landry was so eager to make a big play that the 'hero' syndrome got the best and he was too aggresive.

I've seen Ed Reed get beat taking chances, my point is that every DB is gonna get beat but the reaction against him is overboard.

He played extremely well yesterday, and it could be argued that yesterday was his first good game of the season. He's had quite a few decent games, and a few terrible gamesIs it coincidence that he was playing strong safety and not free safety? Probably not. He looked like he did as a rookie out there. It was alot more fun to watch him in that role and he was much more productive.

I thought he played really well against the Cowboys.

He was all over the field was even matched up in man-to-man like a nickel corner against McFadden.

His Int came from Cover 2 deep coverage not from playing in the box.

When we were in 'big nickel' or Cobra the deep safeties were Landry and Moore with Reed in the box/hole.

He was still making less mistakes than Landry was at that point. The reason Landry gets more leeway (and more hate for that matter) is due to his contract. The high paid guy always gets more attention, regardless of whether its deserved or not........No. I'm not sure what's with people around here and name calling. It seems like they have nothing better to add so they'll just throw in random insults.

Yeah, i never got the hang-up by fan's over how much players make.

Players make what the market will bear.

I think people hate his post-play antics soo much they begin to hate the player.

How could anyone be impressed with Landry's play yesterday? That was probably his second worst game of the season. He was absolutely abused by every RB, TE, and WR he was supposed to contain. He'd have given up yet another long TD- to a TE no less- had the guy not dropped a wide open pass. But, a ball thrown by the worst QB in the NFL bounced off the turf and into his hands so that's supposed to make it a good game? Congratulations LaRon, you now have as many INTs as your backup. I'm thrilled that we spent a top 10 draft pick on you.

By far the best thing about Landry's game yesterday is that we didn't see any of his embarassing celebrations. That was a huge relief, and it made his failure slightly more tolerable. I wonder how many late hit and taunting penalties he'll pick up next week vs. Brandon Jacobs and the Giants?

Instead of being here bashing him even though he had an interception at a key time that likely shifted any momentum that the Raiders had into our court?

Absolutely.

That key interception came from one of the worst QBs in the league.

Getting beat by a certain move in one game is once thing. When you get beaten by the same move three games in a season, two of those being right after each other, you are a liability.

Carlos got beat by a double move in one game. He the worked on it and resolved that problem. It's when you have a problem that can be clearly exploited, and you don't fix it, that you are a liability in coverage.

Now, if later he fakes that tendency to bait a QB and get a pick, that's fine. That's what makes a good DB.

And yes, good DBs take risks. Like Asante Samuel last nite - he jumped a route hoping for a pick on an underneath route and left his receiver wide open. That's one thing. Just playing by muscle memory - that's a bad thing.

Archived