Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980: Laron Landry to play Strong Safety against the Raiders per Vinny Cerrato

Springfield

Absolutely.

That key interception came from one of the worst QBs in the league.

Getting beat by a certain move in one game is once thing. When you get beaten by the same move three games in a season, two of those being right after each other, you are a liability.

What were the 2 other games?

Carlos got beat by a double move in one game. He the worked on it and resolved that problem. It's when you have a problem that can be clearly exploited, and you don't fix it, that you are a liability in coverage.

LoL, Los? Carlos actually has more of a tendency to get beat then Landry.

He got beat by on a double move by DeSean Jackson.

He got beat against the Bronco's and was benched.

Going back to 2008

He gave up a slant vs Chris Henry for a TD vs the Bengals (where he didn't touch the WR the entire play)

He got beat by a double move against the Ravens.

He got beat on deep route down the sideline and got beat again on slant against Holmes (where again he didn't touch the guy the at all) for a TD in the Steelers game

See how i made a statement and supported it?

Where is the proof that Landry is a liability.

Now, if later he fakes that tendency to bait a QB and get a pick, that's fine. That's what makes a good DB.

And yes, good DBs take risks. Like Asante Samuel last nite - he jumped a route hoping for a pick on an underneath route and left his receiver wide open. That's one thing. Just playing by muscle memory - that's a bad thing.

Huh?

Darrell would be ashamed of a piece of crap troll like you using his name.

Had you asked for more, and I gave you a dumb look, then you could treat me like I am five years old.

I am done with you, troll.

Hahaha. If anyone is a troll here it's you. Don't get pissy and personal because you got caught talking out of your ass. It just reinforces the notion that you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Honestly....Landry is built for the Tampa 2 defense. He is stout, strong, and goes for the big hit. Either bulk him up and move him to an outside LB slot (move Orakpo to the line) or replace him with someone who has more of an afterburner speed wise.

Landry may be fast, but he lacks the burst/recovery speed necessary for a FS. If he is to remain the FS, he needs to work on his speed and not so much bulk. He isn't playing like a center fielder.....more like a slow slugger left fielder.

I can tell you one player that got beaten so much in his third year .. Saftey played center field bit so hard on play action wore 21 around 2006 . Landry has not been outstanding but he is no bust either . One thing does bother me . If he moves to SS on a more consistent basis over the next few weeks then is Eric Berry in our future ?

I don't think we'll draft Eric Berry because his home position is strong safety in a cover 2. We don't run a ton of cover 2 and when we do, LaRon is our man for it. I think it's more likely that you'll see Kevin Barnes and Kareem Moore there at FS.

If all we wanted was a coverage safety, there should be good mid-round guys like Morgan Burnett and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah out there. There is absolutely no need to draft Eric Berry and he doesn't have a place on our football team. He'll be a good player for another franchise.

Hahaha. If anyone is a troll here it's you. Don't get pissy and personal because you got caught talking out of your ass. It just reinforces the notion that you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

He could have asked what games, and I would have answered. In stead he had to be an ass and show how awesome he is at the internets. I don't have time for those people anymore.

Philly, Saints, Raiders, all exploited Laron's biting tendencies. It's not a new story. It wasn't before the Raiders game, he even got called out on it going into the saints game by Tim Ryan.

Is anyone else warming up to the idea of Drafting either Eric Berry or Taylor Mays if there avaliable. Or offence looks good recently and our Secondary is in need of a FS to fully complete a great defence. Also Vinny likes drafting DB`s. What do you guys think. Also outside of Berry whos the best FS in this draft class? thanks

Honestly....Landry is built for the Tampa 2 defense. He is stout, strong, and goes for the big hit. Either bulk him up and move him to an outside LB slot (move Orakpo to the line) or replace him with someone who has more of an afterburner speed wise.

Landry may be fast, but he lacks the burst/recovery speed necessary for a FS. If he is to remain the FS, he needs to work on his speed and not so much bulk. He isn't playing like a center fielder.....more like a slow slugger left fielder.

Um no way, Laron isnt as big as people think bro. Hes pretty maxed at where he is at currently physically. His problem is lifestyle and desire. He has all the damn tools but doesnt put as much effort into the mental part of the game. So frustrating because he could be really damn good consistantly if he would focus on his damn career. To much has been given to him because of his athletic talent that it is his expectation it will get him bye. Physical ability alone his progress has flatlined until he decides being a good-great player for himself and the name on the back of his jersey is a priority and that probably will happen when he leaves washington.

Is anyone else warming up to the idea of Drafting either Eric Berry or Taylor Mays if there avaliable. Or offence looks good recently and our Secondary is in need of a FS to fully complete a great defence. Also Vinny likes drafting DB`s. What do you guys think. Also outside of Berry whos the best FS in this draft class? thanks

Absolutely, 100%, indisputably, unequivocally, and every other synonym: NO.

Plus, don't hijack the thread.

His problem is lifestyle and desire. He has all the damn tools but doesnt put as much effort into the mental part of the game. So frustrating because he could be really damn good consistantly if he would focus on his damn career. To much has been given to him because of his athletic talent that it is his expectation it will get him bye. Physical ability alone his progress has flatlined until he decides being a good-great player for himself and the name on the back of his jersey is a priority and that probably will happen when he leaves washington.

I hope Landry never leaves Washington.

Maybe a little adversity will be a wake up call for LaRon.

He bounced back after the Atlanta game from a tackling standpoint.

He bounced back from the Saints game with an Int and a FF in the Raiders game.

And he wasn't dancing.

I think the team's overall lack of direction and losing made an already aggressive player like Landry so eager to make a 'hero' play that he started trying to make 'big' plays instead of assignment sound/fundamentally sound plays.

This from another thread and i agree 100%

Landry is not terrible in coverage, he is too aggressive in coverage! He needs someone to come in here and teach him some discipline. He can be a great FS as well if he stops going for the knockout every play! He has the speed and ability to cover almost anyone but he keeps trying to jump every route and going for knockout hits instead of reading the route and form tackling. Its not that he cant do those things...
Landry's problem is film study. He can't anticipate routes and he's biting on double moves because he rarely knows what to expect from certain formations. If he studies more he'll know teams tendencies and he'll surely make more plays. The guy is extremely athletic and is constantly running stride for stride with great WRs.

............knowing that we've constantly put him in Cover 1 situations where he is the only guy covering the deep ball and he's pretty much shut down opposing teams deep ball game alone. These last few games he's made some mistakes, but it doesn't change that fact. Since Sean died he's done an awesome job not allowing the big play at Free Safety overall.

Um no way, Laron isnt as big as people think bro. Hes pretty maxed at where he is at currently physically. His problem is lifestyle and desire. He has all the damn tools but doesnt put as much effort into the mental part of the game. So frustrating because he could be really damn good consistantly if he would focus on his damn career. To much has been given to him because of his athletic talent that it is his expectation it will get him bye. Physical ability alone his progress has flatlined until he decides being a good-great player for himself and the name on the back of his jersey is a priority and that probably will happen when he leaves washington.

I want Landry around. I've been a vocal supporter here on ES. He does have his mistakes, which I don't like, but I think his potential upside greatly outweighs his mistakes.

I've been saying... and saying and saying. Landry needs somebody who he trusts to come on board and help him. Somebody who he can put his faith into and help him realize his potential. Blache isn't that guy. I've been down on Blache for a while and I blame Blache for Landry's miscues. Better defensive minds could do a lot more with the talent we have on our team. Better defensive minds wouldn't give up late leads week after week.

Sadly, you are probably right. Landry will leave here and be a star where ever he goes.

Archived