Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm still Pissed we didn't draft Michael Oher

Rhodus333

Orakpo over Oher was a no-brainer, IMO.

Really? A linebacker that never played the position over a very good OT is a no-brainer? Sacks are nice but Orakpo OVERALL is not great. He's not even close to great at his position.

If he could play DE full time I'd agree that the Orakpo pick is defensible. Turning a life time DE into a project LB instead of drafting a OT when we had Heyer scheduled to start is insane.

DO I have to explain the "Off topic" theory for you again?

If you go check my OP,you will read where i have said "this will turn into a CP thread" And it Has! ms Cleo?

It's the power of the dark side:saber:

Have a nice day!

Edit: Judge ye not 21forlyfe, for he knows not what he says... I certainly, "know not what he says..."

I think taking Orakpo was the right move. The guy is a stud and will only get better. Oher fell to what 26 so obviously other teams didn't think he was worth a top 25 pick either. Orakpo is looking like he should have went in the top 5. I'm not upset we took Orakpo I'm upset we haven't taken a OL player in the first 2 rounds since we took Samuels which is down right ridiculous. We shouldn't even be having this discussion right now. We should have a stable line with young players and talking about what a great pick Orakpo really was and how lucky we were he fell to 13 and how stupid other teams are for passing up on him.

I think taking Orakpo was the right move. The guy is a stud and will only get better. Oher fell to what 26 so obviously other teams didn't think he was worth a top 25 pick either. Orakpo is looking like he should have went in the top 5. I'm not upset we took Orakpo I'm upset we haven't taken a OL player in the first 2 rounds since we took Samuels which is down right ridiculous. We shouldn't even be having this discussion right now. We should have a stable line with young players and talking about what a great pick Orakpo really was and how lucky we were he fell to 13 and how stupid other teams are for passing up on him.

I agree with this totally. We shouldn't have come to needing Oher last year.

However, I think Rak was a GREAT pickup, and will be a cornerstone of our D for years to come.

I just hope to god that the FO does the right thing this coming draft?

Is that possible?

All that crying about the pass rush the last 5 years. All that flack we gave to Gregg Williams for being a stubborn fool.

We address that issue and we're still crying.

We'd not be winning anything because we drafted Michael Oher.

Pass rush, like tackle, was a need going into the draft. We really got lucky with Rack. How can anyone be pissed with that?

How is that a cheap shot? Oher has not proven himself worth a higher draft spot than what he was picked at. He has done nothing noteable at all this year. Not saying he isn't a decent lineman but he is far from being dominant at his spot. If a movie wouldn't have been made about him most football fans would have no idea who he was. If the thread title would have been something like "I'm still pissed we didn't draft a left tackle" that is a legitimate argument. I simply pointed out that Oher is overhyped due to his movie. A cheap shot would have been calling the OP "dumb" or something along those lines.

It was a cheap shot because you are using the movie as an attack on the OP's intelligence of not knowing who Oher was before this.

If you recall, Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Michael Oher were all highly touted. JS's status shot up, Andre's work ethic was in question, and Monroe and Oher's intelligence/consistency were in question. Oher could have easily been drafted early.

Really? A linebacker that never played the position over a very good OT is a no-brainer? Sacks are nice but Orakpo OVERALL is not great. He's not even close to great at his position.

If he could play DE full time I'd agree that the Orakpo pick is defensible. Turning a life time DE into a project LB instead of drafting a OT when we had Heyer scheduled to start is insane.

Wow ,good argument

I never Looked at the Draft pick in that way

Vinny was trying to move up to get Orakpo, and talent wise he's worth much more than a 13th overall.

He's playing where he is because Carter is still at the top of his game. Long term he will be a better player for it. It's not like we're winning the SB this year.....

Why must it always be this year?

Orakpo was the only pick for us IMO. And I wanted OL right up until Orakpo dropped. With the Jarmon pick looking like a contender for LDE most downs and Orakpo at RDE we're looking good at DE for years to come. That's a good thing.

Your arguments center on the relative value of the two players for us in 2009. If you abandon your "what can you do for me this year" philosophy, Orakpo was a no-brainer because he graded out on almost everyone's board as a much better prospect as an NFL player than Michael Oher.

Your arguments center on the relative value of the two players for us in 2009. If you abandon your "what can you do for me this year" philosophy, Orakpo was a no-brainer because he graded out on almost everyone's board as a much better prospect as an NFL player than Michael Oher.

OMG! I agree with Oldfan again! :cheers:

Rak and Jarmon are going to be longterm great skins for us. We haven't had two pillars on the DL in quite some time.

We need young, talented linemen in order to make this team competitive.

Hopefully that is what we will get with Orakpo & Jarmon long term.

Are you also pissed with the selection of Jarmon. That choice will end up being ~#70 at the top end of the third round in 2010.

Oher was the twenty third pick. Apparantly, some teams skipped him because they were afraid that he might be unintelligent. He could barely read in 8th grade and that was a red flag in some people's eyes. Shouldn't the fact that the Ravens felt the need to trade up for him count for something?

It's funny that you mentioned the 26th pick. The Ravens once drafted a guy in the first round who had fallen to number twenty-six. Other teams were a bit hesitant about one trait-his weight, but he turned out to be pretty good.

];7095928']It's a bad year to need a pass rush. We were lucky we hit on our pick. So many teams have been burned by DEs drafted between too high.

It depends on which juniors come out. If the top guys do' date=' then it's actually an incredible DE class. Derrick Morgan, Cameron Heyward, Greg Romeus, and Jason Pierre-Paul all look like studs who could go top 10. Ricky Sapp has been drawing comparisons to DeMarcus Ware. Corey Wootton, Greg Hardy, Brandon Graham, Jerry Hughes aren't far behind. This might actually be a good year to double down on pass rushers and get another one at some point. You can [u']never[/u] have too many pass rushers. You only need one LT.

Still, Orakpo was a perfect fit for our team and I think he'd be the best DE of this year's crop also judging from the 2008 season he had and his intangible eval. Heyward and Morgan are very different players anyway. They are LEs not REs and the stud pass rushing RE is what you want in the top 5. Orakpo is a special player, let's be god damn grateful for once that we got a great player and ignore this stupid knee-jerk grass is greener mentality.

It was a cheap shot because you are using the movie as an attack on the OP's intelligence of not knowing who Oher was before this.

If you recall, Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Michael Oher were all highly touted. JS's status shot up, Andre's work ethic was in question, and Monroe and Oher's intelligence/consistency were in question. Oher could have easily been drafted early.

You're telling me that the movie about Oher had nothing to do with his popularity? That he's a solid lineman in the NFL and worthy of a top ten pick? If that's the case I would like to see what he has done to prove that. He constantly needs help from backs chipping and is consistently beaten in one on ones by decent DEs. Orakpo leads all rookies in sacks and his upside is staggering. Yet I'm supposed to believe that the OP looked solely at onfield play and determined that Oher was a smarter move than Orakpo and that decision was in no way influenced by Ohers popularity boost from his movie. If that's the case, then yes it was a cheap shot because I don't believe any of that for a second.

Archived