Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm still Pissed we didn't draft Michael Oher

Rhodus333

Nothing against Orakpo, who has far and away exceeded expectations this year. But despite his great playing, we aren't winning anymore games. Despite all his sacks we haven't become any more successful as a team or any closer to winning a super bowl. No doubt he's a great player, but he wasn't the player we needed. There's a big difference.

Look at our draft picks. Fred Davis is a great player, who didn't get to play until injuries sidelined Cooley. Kevin Barnes made some great plays against the ridiculous saints offense despite sitting on the sideline behind Deangelo Hall all season. Our team is full of players who have talent and no chance to use it.

Orakpo has been great this year, but so has Andre Carter after a terrible year last year. The reason is Albert Haynesworth drawing double coverage. We had a number 4 defense going into this year and adding Haynesworth and Hall should have been enough. Hooray we've got 3 times more sacks than last season, what's our record again? Stop trying to use a sledgehammer when a simple punch will do the job. Stop trying to go from great to allstar on defense when your offense is stuck in neutral because of no protection.

I'm sick of Vinny's "draft the best player available, regardless of whether we can figure out a way to use him" strategy. I'm sick of seeing our draft picks sit on the bench because they play positions we don't need help in. How's that amazing fullback we drafted doing? Still on the practice squad to make room for more no name last minute fixes along the line? Who could have seen that one coming?

More importantly im sick of seeing players who play positions we desperatley need being passed up because of the subjective, ever changing predraft rankings that don't mean **** when figuring out what's the right move for your team. Okay so a once in a lifetime DE comes along, so you take him. And do what with him? Turn him into a linebacker?! Because we need linebackers?!

We need young, talented O-linemen in order to make this team competitive. You know it, I know it, Vinny's senile, 90 year old mamma knows it. And yet we choose to shoot ourselves in the foot and make things ten times more complicated then they need to be.

We don't need to draft linemen as long as every other player on our roster has a career year and every single one of our long shots and bottom of the barrel free agents overperform right? What the **** kind of strategy is that?

What was that other left tackle that the Ravens decided to draft a while back? Oh yeah Johnathan Ogden. Last time I checked he was pretty good.

**** you Vinny, this ones gonna come back and bite you in the ass bigtime. And I won't even laugh, i'll sit on my couch and curse you for refusing to use common sense and build a franchise the way everyone knows your supposed to. Burn in hell and get the **** away from my team before you make me give up on them entirely.

I can't complain specifically about this case because Orakpo is a stud and that will help us in the long run, but Vinny's incompetence (not drafting a first round OL since 99) has cost this team a lot. It's really bad, and when we get a real GM after this year he's going to be inheriting a rebuilding project instead of a contending team needing a few touch-ups, which is what we should be at this point.

Obviously Oher would be helping us this season, but that's just one pick out of a ton that Vinny has had. I would rather him have draft OL for many years now so we wouldn't have needed Oher and could still enjoy having Orakpo.

We needed a pass rushe and an OT.

Last year we picked Orakpo over Oher, and instead we'll have to find our OT this year.

If we had drafted Oher and wanted to get our rusher this year, we wouldn't have any premiere talent to choose, unlike last year. Orakpo was a studncoming out of college. None of this years rushers can really compare.

It's a bad year to need a pass rush. We were lucky we hit on our pick. So many teams have been burned by DEs drafted between too high.

Jarvis Moss, Erasmus James, Kenechi Udeze, Gaines Adams, Vernon Gholston, Chris Long, Marcus Spears just off the top of my head.

2nd round pick for Jason Taylor could've netted us an OT along with the Orakpo pick in the 1st. That deal really burns us to this day.

Ugh, that too... I keep trying to forget it.:doh:

Sad part is I thought it was a good trade too. I thought that we could just ride the coattails of the previous year's playoff run and march right through that season into the playoffs again. Looked pretty good through the first 8 games too. :doh:

Then of course I was also stupid enough to buy into the supposed improvements again this year, and again thought we would be a force in the NFL. :doh: :doh:

Never again will I have expectations of a winning season, at least until I see some pattern of consistency in that direction. Damn you Snyder's Redskins for destroying my generally optimistic nature.

];7095938']We could have tried to move that 2nd up to nam Ebon Britton who's killing it in Jacksonville.

Or Sebastian Volmer in NE who filled in for Matt Light and probably outperformed him.

Renting JT for a year was so expensive.

Probably took at least a year off what should have already been a rebuilding strategy. It's the GM's job to recognize when something is going to be a problem, and Vinny failed miserably. I don't care how well his recent draft picks are performing, his incompetent neglect of crucial parts of this team have been the main culprit in the team's descent into the bottom of the NFL toilet bowl. This should cost him his job, and if it doesn't then there is little hope for the future with this complete moron of an owner. It's a long way back to the top of the NFL, and I don't think Vinny has what it takes to lead us there.

... I don't care how well his recent draft picks are performing, his incompetent neglect of crucial parts of this team have been the main culprit in the team's descent into the bottom of the NFL toilet bowl...

You're blaming Vinny for a problem created by Joe Gibbs. The O-line didn't just start to decline after Joe left and Vinny took over. When you trade away so many draft picks with little return, there's a price to pay.

Drafting the BPA is the right strategy for building a winner, but it's a long term approach. Drafting for need is a win-now approach and generally ineffective.

Orakpo over Oher was a no-brainer, IMO.

You're blaming Vinny for a problem created by Joe Gibbs. The O-line didn't start to decline after Joe left and Vinny took over. When you trade away so many draft picks with little return, there's a price to pay.

Drafting the BPA is the right strategy for building a winner, but it's a long term approach. Drafting for need is a win-now approach and generally ineffective.

Orakpo over Oher was a no-brainer, IMO.

Gibbs certainly contributed. He came in and knew he had only a certain number of years to win before he would retire again. He wanted to fill the team with quality vets to make that happen, and our draft picks started going out the window. The tendency to blow our picks on complete busts trades, and of course the overpaid, aged players, started under Snyder way before Gibbs came back. So it's not completely on his shoulders in my opinion, though his desire to turn this team around faster than he should/could did contribute to our problems right now.

Also, I do agree about taking Orakpo over Oher now. On draft day, I really wanted to hear us call Oher's name based on his pre-draft ranking and projected spot. Since he did not end up getting picked until much later in the 1st round, picking him at 13 would have been stupid. Obviously we had him ranked much lower than most of the media, as did all the other teams that picked after us. If we had not gotten such a steal as Orakpo at 13, I would still have loved for us to trade back and take Oher later in the 1st though.

Life goes on, my friend. If the Oline were still struggling, with Oher, and the defense line wasn't getting any pressure, people would be moaning that we didn't draft Orakpo. That's just the way it is.

I'm sick of Vinny's "draft the best player available

Practically every "real GM' in the league does this more often than not.

We drafted the BEst PLAyer In the DRAFT! B.Rakpo!

Olinemen get better with play calling

ATl,Nyg,Saints,Arz,Dallas,Balt -actually had people working Construction,and manging Wallgreens just two seasons ago. None of the above adressed there Poor Oline in the off season really..But They all have great Playcallers,that gives there OLINE confidence:D

Hell,even Washington Oline,and Garbage R.Backs, looks better with better playcalling!

We should sign vets, and Draft OL in the later rounds (not in the TOP 10 picks)

SHU is the way to GO!

AH ,and his Baby BRO would complete the Dline!

How is Oher doing with Baltimore? I read somewhere earlier this season that he was having trouble in pass protection. Then, I think I heard about an injury.

He's been a force in run-blocking. He struggled with pass blocking early. But he and Gaither shut out Freeney and Mathis when the Ravens played Indy a few weeks back. He did have a lot of trouble with Lamar Woodley the week after that.

Still, for a rookie starter, he's been pretty damn good. The Ravens are in great shape at the tackles position.

Simplifying drafting to "BPA" or "need" in absolutes is stupid.

That's like saying if you had 3 QBs available at your picks, you'd draft 3 QBs.

Need is always a factor, it's just a question of how much. And after last year's draft, when the criticism was rolling in, Vinny had 2 comments generally. The first was to talk about BPA. The second was to talk about how we needed receivers to complement Jim Zorn's new scheme he was bringing.

So need obviously was a factor in their decision. But a blanket comment of BPA is a way of hiding from mistakes, or at least clouding people's judgment apparently.

Oher would have been great but we now have a "Ware" type of player. Plus, with the West Coast Offense OL have pass block 80% of the time. I believe you draft the best player available and Orackpo has proven he will be a pro-bowler. Imagine if he lined up to rush every down. How many sacks would he have?

I agree with the OP.

Orakpo is doing very well, but Oher was the correct pick.

You must have just seen the Blindside....But what can you expect the guy who said LB is a better Back than CP:laugh:

Oher wouldn't be ish here we would have made him a TE:silly:

Rakpo best PLayer in the Draft!

You must have just seen the blindside....But what can you expect the guy who said LB is a better Back than CP:laugh:

Well in fairness, Betts was putting up much better numbers than Portis had been before both were injured. CP is done. He should retire. He's nothing but an overpaid, under-preforming RB at this point. He doesn't help us win games anymore. I think his attitude problems, and his demand that he be given his carries, has caused a lot of issues with team chemistry in recent years. So yes, count me in for the Betts>CP.

You must have just seen the Blindside....But what can you expect the guy who said LB is a better Back than CP:laugh:

Oher wouldn't be ish here we would have made him a TE:silly:

Rakpo best PLayer in the Draft!

Haven't seen the movie yet. Maybe when it comes out on dvd.

And yes, starting Portis the last few seasons, and stupidly believing that we could run only one back in today's league and win, is probably the single biggest mistake of the franchise over the last five years.

Portis should have been traded years ago for a lineman or a wr.

Epic fail. And the main reason for our bad teams since Gibbs 2 returned.

Orakpo was the right pick at 13, but we should have traded back into the 1st round when Michael Oher continued to drop.

I would have been ok with this scenario, dropping back say 4 spots to 17 and taking Oher there. He was just not rated high enough to justify picking him at 13 regardless of need. I think the reason we didn't try that is because Orakpo was such a great value at 13.

I'm still pissed we drafted Fred Davis and traded a 2nd and 6th for Jason Taylor. Fred Davis is having some nice games, so props to him, but he is not contributing to team success at all, and as I've mentioned many times, it's not his fault.

There were namely three options we could have gone. Calais Campbell, Jason Jones, or Mike Pollak. Had we taken Mike Pollak, yeah we'd be out a 2nd and 6th, but at least we'd have a center/guard on our roster.

Had we taken Campbell or Jones, we'd have saved our 2nd this year and could have gotten either Max Unger or Phil Loadholt. I'm sure everyone already knows about Loadholt, but Unger has had some good games for the Seahawks despite the rest of their line being pretty crappy. He plays right guard for them, but was a center in college.

Oh well.

Archived