Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason C. - one more year would cost us $13 mil

texasthunder

I think everyone has this a little misunderstood. These are all just different types of tags to hold onto free agents. Whether its the franchise tag, transition tag, or restricted free agent tag, they are all designed so that a player can negotiate a contract with a new team.

But with all of them, if the original team elects not to match the new contract, they are compensated with draft picks. Compensation for a franchise tag is two 1st round picks. Compensation for the highest tendered restricted free agent is a 1st and 3rd, and so on.

It's just that after 4 years of experience, a player can only be given the franchise or transition tag. But with no new CBA, the years of experience required is raised to 6 years.

There are two levels of Franchise tag. The higher one is an "exclusive" tag where a player can't negotiate with another team.

In that scenario, yes, we could match the offer or let him go for a 1st round pick.

I'm not really sure what your point is. If you want to keep him, either sign him long term (with a bonus that will all be paid in an uncapped year), or you tender him at the highest level (3 mil or so).

I like Campbell more than the majority of this board at least, but I have no fear that someone will want to give up a 1 and a 3 for him, and if they did, I would say we take it and do the happy dance.

I think everyone has this a little misunderstood. These are all just different types of tags to hold onto free agents. Whether its the franchise tag, transition tag, or restricted free agent tag, they are all designed so that a player can negotiate a contract with a new team.

But with all of them, if the original team elects not to match the new contract, they are compensated with draft picks. Compensation for a franchise tag is two 1st round picks. Compensation for the highest tendered restricted free agent is a 1st and 3rd, and so on.

It's just that after 4 years of experience, a player can only be given the franchise or transition tag. But with no new CBA, the years of experience required is raised to 6 years.

Thanks again guys. It just seemed really crazy that the only way to keep him would be to give him a huge raise.

Oh I think that they could get him lower than 13 million. They could get him to a multi year deal, but as was stated back load the contract so that it doesn't hurt you up front. Don't know if Jason would go for it though. I am for bringing Campbell back. He is showing me a lot even though he has missed some plays. He has battled through one of the worst lines in the league and he shown some real toughness and lead this team without 2 of its major super stars. We should bring Jason back.

Our 2010 FAs. I don't see a franchise guy in the lot:

Jason Campbell

Todd Yoder

Stephon Heyer (RFA)

Phillip Daniels

Anthony Montgomery

Kedric Golston

Rocky McIntosh

Robert Thomas

Carlos Rogers

Reed Doughty

Shaun Suisham

Hunter Smith

Lorenzo Alexander (RFA)

Bolded means we should bring them back for multi years. Except I think we should just bring Campbell back for a year. But we should franchise them.

No, thats not correct. The franchise tag has nothing to do with being a restricted or unrestricted player.

We either sign him to a one year contract, which is not going to happen.

Or we sign him to a multi-year contract.

Or we tag him for the 2010 season.

Being a restricted FA means we have to match any other teams offer, or let him go. Of course if we do let him go then we recieve a draft pick as compensation.

We don't have to offer him the franchise tag. We would already get something if he goes via restricted free agency.

The franchise tag would only come into play if there is a cap in 2010. Jason would be a regular free agent then and we would franchise him.

i can't believe this topic is going on about keeping him? U guys nuts? if he knew how to take a team down and win a damn game instead of throwing a pick everytime or taking a sack, maybe i'd keep him, but he isn't worth the dirt on my boots. Can we finally just get rid of him already!

No salary cap would mean he is a restricted free agent, making it unnecessary to give him that much money.

Ding, that means we can match any offer another team offers him. Does anyone really think they would offer JC 13 Mil next season? There might be teams interested in taking a flyer on him, but 13 Mil? I don't think so. The RFA is not the same as the Franchise Tag, frankly.

According to KFFL the exact definition of RFA is this:

» Restricted Free Agents (RFA) - Players with three years of NFL experience. Like an unrestricted free agent they are free to negotiate with any team however the current team has the right to match any offer and if they do so they retain the rights to the player. Failure to meet the offer means the player is awarded to the new team but the new team must give the old team compensation in the form of draft picks.

However, I found a much BETTER definition here:

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

Obviously, if the CBA is going to define a term for an "Unrestricted Free Agent", you would expect that they must also have something called a "Restricted Free Agent" (RFA). And, of course, you would be right. A RFA is "any Veteran player with three or more accrued seasons, but less than five accrued seasons (or less than four accrued seasons in any capped year)... At the expiration of his last Player Contract during such period... [the player] shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any club, and any club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any such player, subject to... certain restrictions." The restrictions are the fun part.

The player's original team maintains the First Refusal Right if the team tenders a contract offer of one year at $1.01 M.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at the Player’s Original Draft Round (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at the same amount(s) listed above OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Second Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $$1.545 million OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $2.198 million OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection and Third Round Draft Selection (both from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $2.792 million OR at least 110% of the player's prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater. In the event a Prior Club withdraws its Qualifying Offer, the RFA immediately becomes an UFA.

Note this is different than Transition Tag:

Each Club can also designate one UFA or RFA as a Transition Player. Additionally, (in the final year of the CBA) each club may, in lieu of designating a Franchise Player, designate an additional Transition Player during the same designation period as the Franchise Player designation period. Whew! What that means is that a team may elect to tag two players with the Transition tag or one Transition Player and one Franchise Player in the final capped year. Any Club that designates a Transition Player shall receive the Rights of First Refusal. In order to designate an UFA or RFA as a Transition Player, the team must tender the player a one year contract for the average of the ten largest prior year salaries for players at the position at which he played the most games during the prior year, or 120% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater.

Sounds to me like JC may be over a barrel because while there might be teams willing to sign him, are there teams willing to give up Draft picks for him? Even JC Bashers must admit that's a low probability (perhaps not)

(Now the costs of the various settings may be higher this year, I don't know to be honest.)

No, thats not correct. The franchise tag has nothing to do with being a restricted or unrestricted player.

We either sign him to a one year contract, which is not going to happen.

Or we sign him to a multi-year contract.

Or we tag him for the 2010 season.

Being a restricted FA means we have to match any other teams offer, or let him go. Of course if we do let him go then we recieve a draft pick as compensation.

to make a player a restricted free agent you have to extend an offer sheet, which has nothing to do with anyone else's salary. If no one makes an offer from there, that becomes a contract.

Our 2010 FAs. I don't see a franchise guy in the lot:

Jason Campbell

Todd Yoder

Stephon Heyer (RFA)

Phillip Daniels

Anthony Montgomery

Kedric Golston

Rocky McIntosh

Robert Thomas

Carlos Rogers

Reed Doughty

Shaun Suisham

Hunter Smith

Lorenzo Alexander (RFA)

If they were gonna use the Franchise tag, the most likely candidate is Hunter Smith (Did they really only sign him to a 1 year deal?). Otherwise, just for fun, I'd say that McIntosh and Doughty are the only other players who would even warrant consideration.

If they were gonna use the Franchise tag, the most likely candidate is Hunter Smith (Did they really only sign him to a 1 year deal?). Otherwise, just for fun, I'd say that McIntosh and Doughty are the only other players who would even warrant consideration.

I agree there, I think Hunter will sign a long term deal though maybe with us if we can retain him that would be swell, if not, just another Vinny screw up :/

Strange topic for sure. Yes he's been playing slightly better by his standards which were very low to begin with but the idea that we'd even think about paying him top 5 money to me is insane. QB's like Jason are easy to find. Moving the ball between the 20's isn't that difficult to do for your average NFL QB. However finding QB's like Vince Young, Payton Manning, Ben Rothesberger and guys like that who can either close out games or win them late when given the chance by shear will alone are hard to find. Until Jason starts winning games like we've played in the last few weeks when they are in our grasp and just needing our QB to make a play at the end until he starts winning these games I'm not going to be sold. He played better last week, not taking anything away from that but he's got another progression to make in my eyes. Playing good is one thing, winning close games late is another. If he can make the jump to winning close games and orcastrate some 4th Quarter comebacks then I can see a rational discussion about top 10 QB but we my friends do not have anything like that now.

In an uncapped year, Campbell, Montgomery, Golston, McIntosh, Rogers, Doughty and Suisham would be RFAs and wouldn't need to be tagged at all to be kept.

Guys in bold are guys I WANT on this team next year while Montgomery I wouldn't mind having back.... Bye Bye to Stonehands and Mr. Clutch.

OK since jason has been playing good latley I have seen lots of posts about not letting him go, keeping him for one more year, and drafting a rookie to learn.

So I did some research, and I found that if there is no cap next year (which appears very likely) we can franchise tag 2 players at a cost of the average of the top five players at his position.

The top 5 qbs salary for next year are:

1) E. Manning= $15 mil per yr

2) P. manning= $14 mil per yr

3) C. Palmer = $ 12.8 mil per yr

4) B. Rothesberger = $12.7 mil per yr

5) M. Cassell = $10.5 mil per yr

Averages out to about $13.0 mil.

So would it be worth it to keep Jason at that kind of salary ?

If I remember correctly Jason makes $2.9 mil this year.

Also, from what I can find, we have not franchise tagged a player since 2004.

What was the point of starting this thread?

The Redskins could have resigned Jason Campbell at any time and have failed to do so. Obviously they aren't going to put the franchise tag on him. :chair:

Since there is no bargaining agreement in place for next year, couldn't we pay him every two weeks like every other working stiff at their job? If he screws his work up before the first check, he's fired. Oh, wait a minute, he should have already been let go. Note to admin: let the guy go that comes in here every week for a check and makes the company lose money. Can't do that either, the list is too long. Maybe it's time to hire a bunch of new employees. Merry Christmas, Scrooge.

Wow. Wow wow wow.

He won't sniff any interest by any teams wanting him to start (or to pay him middle of the pack starter money).

If the Redskins want him, offer him low level starter money, and he makes a strictly business decision, he would have to jump on it.

Franchising is out of the question - both in terms of the wasted money and in terms of the 'wtf' backlash from fans.

No way.

Fans have nothing to do with this decision. Its a football decision. You look at his current production and potential to be even more productive with a better O-line and hopefully some new legs at running back.

But why would they franchise him? I kinda like Campbell, but there's no way he's worth that kind of money right now. Why not just see if you can match offers? Why would you do anything that would give him the kind of money that the likes of Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer make?

'Why would you do anything that would give him the kind of money that the likes of Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer make?'

Because he has similar numbers even WITHOUT a similar O-line and running game.

I would strongly disagree. There are about 6-7 teams looking for a new QB.

Looking yes, but are they looking to give up a First Round pick for a RFA tender, or a First and a Third for him? Seriously, I mean how many picks were given up in the Jay Cutler Trade?

"The Chicago Bears acquired disgruntled Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler in a trade on Thursday afternoon, giving up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 (18th overall) and 2010, along with a third-round pick (84th overall) in 2009 to do it."

The bears got a 5th rounder out of it, so we could be talking a first and third, which is one first round pick basically from being what the Cutler Trade was. What team in their right mind would pay that in draft picks for JC? Even if they are looking for a QB, its not like he's Drew Brees.

Those that keep saying the multi million dollar deal are ignoring the picture, if he is a RFA, then you can tag him probably for around or under 3 mil for one season. Then a team has to match or exceed what we tender him at and if they do we can match, or let him go and take their draft picks in essence. I just don't buy though that any team would willingly give up 2 picks for JC. One mid round pick maybe, but maybe someone really falls in love with JC between now and the start of Free Agency.

Archived