Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason C. - one more year would cost us $13 mil

texasthunder

OK since jason has been playing good latley I have seen lots of posts about not letting him go, keeping him for one more year, and drafting a rookie to learn.

So I did some research, and I found that if there is no cap next year (which appears very likely) we can franchise tag 2 players at a cost of the average of the top five players at his position.

The top 5 qbs salary for next year are:

1) E. Manning= $15 mil per yr

2) P. manning= $14 mil per yr

3) C. Palmer = $ 12.8 mil per yr

4) B. Rothesberger = $12.7 mil per yr

5) M. Cassell = $10.5 mil per yr

Averages out to about $13.0 mil.

So would it be worth it to keep Jason at that kind of salary ?

If I remember correctly Jason makes $2.9 mil this year.

Also, from what I can find, we have not franchise tagged a player since 2004.

Why would they franchise him of all people? I don't think they should be throwing gobs of money at the guy to get him to stay here, but I don't think him leaving should be as foregone a conclusion as it was 5 weeks ago. But why would they have to franchise him?

I'd sign him back and have him compete for the starting job with whoever they bring in to replace Todd Collins who probably won't be here next year. I don't like Campbell as a starter but maybe they can sign him and keep him as security in case the "new guy" isn't quite ready. Who knows? Maybe he'll continue to improve and become a pro bowl caliber guy. Doubt it, but he's improving each week. Don't like him, but you gotta hand it to the guy. He's tough and getting better.

Wow. Wow wow wow.

He won't sniff any interest by any teams wanting him to start (or to pay him middle of the pack starter money).

If the Redskins want him, offer him low level starter money, and he makes a strictly business decision, he would have to jump on it.

Franchising is out of the question - both in terms of the wasted money and in terms of the 'wtf' backlash from fans.

No way.

No salary cap would mean he is a restricted free agent, making it unnecessary to give him that much money.

No, thats not correct. The franchise tag has nothing to do with being a restricted or unrestricted player.

We either sign him to a one year contract, which is not going to happen.

Or we sign him to a multi-year contract.

Or we tag him for the 2010 season.

Being a restricted FA means we have to match any other teams offer, or let him go. Of course if we do let him go then we recieve a draft pick as compensation.

But why would they franchise him? I kinda like Campbell, but there's no way he's worth that kind of money right now. Why not just see if you can match offers? Why would you do anything that would give him the kind of money that the likes of Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer make?

No, thats not correct. The franchise tag has nothing to do with being a restricted or unrestricted player.

We either sign him to a one year contract, which is not going to happen.

Or we sign him to a multi-year contract.

Or we tag him for the 2010 season.

Being a restricted FA means we have to match any other teams offer, or let him go. Of course if we do let him go then we recieve a draft pick as compensation.

Do you think any team is going to make an offer that is more than a franchise tag? Nobody is going to pay Campbell 15 million dollars to be their QB. If we match their offer we get Campbell back, if we don't we get a compensatory draft pick. Either way we make out much better than we ever would franchising him. I never saw anybody on here suggest that we should do that.

So here's the simple solution if there's no cap. We give him the higest RFA tender, which would be just north of $2.5 million, and would net us a 1st and 3rd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent#Tender_amounts

Now, if some team decides to give up a 1 and a 3 for Campbell, great use a 1st on a QB in that case. But I highly doubt that happens.

No salary cap would mean he is a restricted free agent, making it unnecessary to give him that much money.

Yes. Here are the tender amounts for last year's RFAs:

Compensation level Tender amount

Original Round 1.01 mil

2nd Round 1.545 mil

1st round 2.198 mil

1st and 3rd 2.972 mil

In other words, if you give a player a tender of 1.01 mil, you would get a pick in the same round that player was drafted in if he leaves (a 5th for Montgomery, for example). If you give him a tender of 2.972, you would get a 1st and 3rd if he leaves, etc. Those amounts go up every year, but not by a lot.

Campbell and Rogers being first round picks, I believe can't be tendered at the "original round" tender, but I couldn't confirm that with a quick search.

Point being, it would cost 2.198 or so to keep Campbell, not 13 mil.

That is not totally true. If he is an unrestricted free agent and we really want to keep him, we can tag him. In this manner the player can't leave.

If he is a Restricted Free agent we wouldn't necessarily need to tag him, since all we have to do is match offers. I think they can also tag him, if the offer is more than the average of the top 5 players in that position. Thus saving money. However, I don't think we need to worry about that scenario.

Our 2010 FAs. I don't see a franchise guy in the lot:

Jason Campbell

Todd Yoder

Stephon Heyer (RFA)

Phillip Daniels

Anthony Montgomery

Kedric Golston

Rocky McIntosh

Robert Thomas

Carlos Rogers

Reed Doughty

Shaun Suisham

Hunter Smith

Lorenzo Alexander (RFA)

In an uncapped year, Campbell, Montgomery, Golston, McIntosh, Rogers, Doughty and Suisham would be RFAs and wouldn't need to be tagged at all to be kept.

Yes. Here are the tender amounts for last year's RFAs:

Compensation level Tender amount

Original Round 1.01 mil

2nd Round 1.545 mil

1st round 2.198 mil

1st and 3rd 2.972 mil

In other words, if you give a player a tender of 1.01 mil, you would get a pick in the same round that player was drafted in if he leaves (a 5th for Montgomery, for example). If you give him a tender of 2.972, you would get a 1st and 3rd if he leaves, etc. Those amounts go up every year, but not by a lot.

Campbell and Rogers being first round picks, I believe can't be tendered at the "original round" tender, but I couldn't confirm that with a quick search.

Point being, it would cost 2.198 or so to keep Campbell, not 13 mil.

Thank you for finding that.

But if we do tender him at say 2.2 mil, then any other club can offer him a better deal. From what I have read, just by tendering him, does not mean he has to stay with us. Where as if we were to franchise him, then no other team can make him an offer.

Okay, here's the FULL explanation (granted people have already said it...)

IF there is an uncapped year:

1. Jason would be a restricted free agent

2. We can sign a tender to him for around $2.972 mil (which we would do, I assume)

3. If another team wants him, they can offer him a contract

4. If we don't match the offer, we get that team's 1st AND 3rd draft pick as compensation. To be clear, the compensation comes from the team that signs Campbell. Basically, a team would be trading us their 1st and 3rd for the rights to Campbell.

Honestly, is ANY team in the NFL dumb enough to do this? I like Campbell, but he isn't worth a 1st and a 3rd round pick.

Therefore, we can keep him for about $2.972 mil next year.

But if we do tender him at say 2.2 mil, then any other club can offer him a better deal. From what I have read, just by tendering him, does not mean he has to stay with us. Where as if we were to franchise him, then no other team can make him an offer.

In that scenario, yes, we could match the offer or let him go for a 1st round pick.

I'm not really sure what your point is. If you want to keep him, either sign him long term (with a bonus that will all be paid in an uncapped year), or you tender him at the highest level (3 mil or so).

I like Campbell more than the majority of this board at least, but I have no fear that someone will want to give up a 1 and a 3 for him, and if they did, I would say we take it and do the happy dance.

I think everyone has this a little misunderstood. These are all just different types of tags to hold onto free agents. Whether its the franchise tag, transition tag, or restricted free agent tag, they are all designed so that a player can negotiate a contract with a new team.

But with all of them, if the original team elects not to match the new contract, they are compensated with draft picks. Compensation for a franchise tag is two 1st round picks. Compensation for the highest tendered restricted free agent is a 1st and 3rd, and so on.

It's just that after 4 years of experience, a player can only be given the franchise or transition tag. But with no new CBA, the years of experience required is raised to 6 years.

Archived