Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FO looked like fools again

monsta

I'd rather point to each teams FA strategy before the season started as the sign of our FO acting foolishly again.

Redskins signed 26 yr old Deangelo Hall to a $55 million contract in the offseason.

New Orleans opted to sign 27 yr old Jabari Greer to a $23 million contract in the offseason.

Through the first 8 games of the season before Greer got hurt these guys had comparable stats with a slight edge to Greer. Alot of people were saying he was playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Hall: 32 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF, 3 INT, 5 passes defended, 0 TD

Greer: 38 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF, 2 INT, 13 passes defended, 1 TD

We could had equal production at half the cost but instead, again, we opted for the big name, big contract.

Did anybody read this "article"

http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/12/1/1180650/redskins-ir-list-isnt-the-worst-in

Redskins IR list isn't the Worst in the NFL; Cerrato Still Making Mistakes

by KevinE on Dec 1, 2009 11:36 AM EST

"I reviewed the Injury reports for all 32 teams, which I included after the jump. The majority of the NFL has between 2-5 players on their IR, while the Redskins are tied with 3 other teams that have 9 shelved. Amazingly, there are 3 teams with more IR injuries, one of which being the UNDEFEATED Saints. So what's the big difference? Cerrato prefers to plug holes with practice squad players while the Saints add veterans."

The Lions and Buccs are the other teams with more guys on IR than us.

The Saints haven't had both starters AND their back-ups injured and gone like the Skins have. The Saints were effected in the secondary pretty badly, and there were decent FA vets available. The Skins have been hit hard on the OL, so we brought in Levi Jones who was the best FA LT available I believe, Kendall is a LG and we have Dock there. Wonder why nobody else has knocked on Kendall's door. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact he couldn;t even practice a full week last season by the end. Heyer was a starter at RT and is back there now.

I too have knocked Vinny for the poor planning at OT, relying essentially on Heyer and Mike Williams if Samuels were to go down again. But at guard we have Dock, and Rinehart behind Thomas. Unfortunately both those guys went down, but we did have decent depth at OG, IMO. Too bad the article writer doesn't mention any viable FAs out there for the RG position. Runyan.

Also, when CP went down Betts stepped up. But now Betts is injured as well. Rock is doing decent, but we've had to bring in Ganther and bring back Mason because of injuries as well.

Sorry, but I think this is just a poor comparison the writer is trying to make. New Orleans hasn't been impacted by injuries on the level that the Skins have. Their secondary got hit, that's about it. And honestly, a FA vet was going to be an improvement over Tracy Porter anyways. We've been hit all along the line, even the back-ups, same with the RB position. If anything, the fact we are at least still competing against teams with back-ups and 3rd stringers could show that our depth is better than what many people gave them credit for prior.

It amazes me how many of you all cannot see that there is a multiplicity of issues with the team. Yes, LT is an issue. Yes, QB PLay is an issue. But so is the decision to let smoot, and rodgers back on the field/STAY ON THE TEAM when they have proven to be

1 - poor cover dudes

2 - scheme breakers

3 - backfield starers

4 - terrible tacklers and angle tackers

Just because you CAN'T (OL) fix one issue doesnt mean you shouldnt try to fix another.

But hell, let you all tell it, there is no defensive issue with this team.

alot of missed GW as soon as he left. He did not have a bend but dont break scheme. We just didnt have the DL that could get the job done.

Our defense has been good without GW because we basically kept his staff with his defensive ideas... I think people miss GW cause alot of think he would have prolonged Gibbs' influence of the franchise little longer. We wouldn't have this fiasco going on with Zorn/Cerrato/Lewis if we were under GW.

I think people are missing GW lately because the team isn't very good right now. I pointed out the previous dislike as an example of the fickleness. Before the 4-0 run at the end of '07, many, if not most, wanted Gibbs and GW gone. (I didn't, I believed the team was capable of the postseason then). But just a few weeks later many wanted GW to be HC simply for continuity, assuming GW would maintain exactly what Gibbs had done. They use everyone else's prior coaching history to knock candidates, but not GW? Also, there weren't as many pining for him during his brief tenure in JAX. But New Orleans is doing well, we aren't, and they have a former coach of ours. I personally think that's about as deep as it goes. So long story short, I don;t think there's any value to most people's desire for GW to come back. But keep in mind it is only my opinion and I have made no efforts to suggest it as fact.

It amazes me how many of you all cannot see that there is a multiplicity of issues with the team. Yes, LT is an issue. Yes, QB PLay is an issue. But so is the decision to let smoot, and rodgers back on the field/STAY ON THE TEAM when they have proven to be

1 - poor cover dudes

2 - scheme breakers

3 - backfield starers

4 - terrible tacklers and angle tackers

Just because you CAN'T (OL) fix one issue doesnt mean you shouldnt try to fix another.

But hell, let you all tell it, there is no defensive issue with this team.

Don't really see anybody claiming what you are saying. However, why would we bring in over the hill FA vets instead of testing our own, much younger depth first? I thought that was the kind of strategy so many disliked under Snyder and Gibbs.

We haven't had the injuries to the secondary that New Orleans has had which prompted their move.

However, we had injuries to the OL, and once we saw our guys weren't cutting it, we brought ina FA, Levi Jones. He isn't great, at all, but he was the best option available I believe. I really don't see the equivalents of McKenzie and McCallister in the FA OL market.

The Patriots scored 17 points in that game. The Cowboys scored 7 in our game. I unno what you really want, but the real guy to get away was Gregg Williams.
why? I dont get all the hype around here about GW...his D is ranked 16th and they haven't exactly had the toughest schedule either

*edit* well I guess they do have 29 takeaways while we only have 13

Don't really see anybody claiming what you are saying. However, why would we bring in over the hill FA vets instead of testing our own, much younger depth first? I thought that was the kind of strategy so many disliked under Snyder and Gibbs.

Bingo. Even if what the OP said was true, bringing in two vets who have no shot at being here next year isn't the way to go. I would much rather see Justin Tryon, Kevin Barnes or even Bryant Westbrook stuck out on an island to see what they could do than to bring in these two guys. Sorry but that's just plain stupid. There are many things our FO can't be faulted for but this isn't one of them.

Tryon will be a true #1 CB in this league when Carlos leaves (which he will). I think he has the skills to do it and has finally learned how to play at the NFL level. Barnes should come along nicely as the #3 once Smoot is also gone. If we were contenders this season I could see the argument for bringing in veterans to shore up the secondary.

We aren't contending for anything, therefore I say send in the youngsters to make their mistakes. Hopefully they can be starting caliber next season.

We have the #1 ranked Pass Defense in the league. Why should we be scrambling to sign past their prime "star" CB's when we have young guys on the bench like Tryon and Barnes?

In a lost season it makes much more sense to get the young, future starters some playing time then bringing in one year stop gaps that likely aren't going to play any better at this point in their careers.

us being ranked #1 in pass defense is proof that numbers lie

anyone who sees us play would never give us the distinction of having the best pass defense in the league

We have the #1 ranked Pass Defense in the league. Why should we be scrambling to sign past their prime "star" CB's when we have young guys on the bench like Tryon and Barnes?

In a lost season it makes much more sense to get the young, future starters some playing time then bringing in one year stop gaps that likely aren't going to play any better at this point in their careers.

The Saints pass D has allowed fewer touchdowns, has a lower 1st down percentage, a boatload more interceptions, the second-lowest completion percentage in the league, and doing all of this when they have had 410 attempts tossed at them instead of the 315 the Redskins have face.

Totally agree.

Not sure either of them could play LT.

:rotflmao:

I think guys like G-will need strong GMs to get the right guys. They are pure coaches.

What we had here was a few really good guys on defense, and then holes everywhere else. That changes a coaches gameplan from attack.....to.....cover our weaknesses.

Does New Orleans run this famed "WCO" that Vinny wanted so badly for us to run that he decided on it BEFORE hiring a head coach???

I would rather play Tryon and Barnes instead of washed-up old vets who have no future. The season is a disaster; play the young guys to see what we have for the future.

Also, it is easier to find a DB than it is to find an OL. Anyone pick up Kendall yet? NOOO! What does that tell you?

#1 ranked pass defense is laughable. How many big plays and big first downs has our pass defense given up.

:doh:

#4 fewest 1st down % passes allowed

#6 fewest 20+ yard plays allowed

#7 fewest TD passes allowed

#6 avg. YPA

#7 comp. %

yeah it's laughable

Jason, for example, is a top ten rated Qb in completion percentage, we shouldnt make a change their either, right?

damn straight.... keep the status quo

:doh:

#4 fewest 1st down % passes allowed

#6 fewest 20+ yard plays allowed

#7 fewest TD passes allowed

#6 avg. YPA

#7 comp. %

yeah it's laughable

damn straight.... keep the status quo

None of that matters when a team march down the field during the last 3 minutes en route for a TD to win the game.

So that Monday night game the New Orleans defense made T Brady look human. Well did anyone else feel a rumble that two of the key defensive backs, Mcallister and McKenzie joined their team in the last two weeks?

So there have been secondary free agents available but Vinny and Frets didnt feel it necessary to get help?

I say this thread looks like fool to me. The Saints are in a playoff hunt and needed some veteran help ASAP and they don't need to learn like a rookie does. The Skins are not in any hunt this season and a quick fix is not as important.

Developing your younger talent is more important and good for the future of the team!!!

Archived