Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Thomas, Kelly and Davis continue to impress

themurf

thomas120109.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Has there ever been a player more afraid of contact than Antwaan Randle El?

Seriously, this is all we can think of every time we see him wave for yet another fair catch or dive to the ground as a defender closes in to avoid actually coming into contact with another human being.

Randle El is supposed to be this great slot receiver, but he’s not even remotely interested in going anywhere near high-traffic areas or fighting for yards after a catch. He simply catches a short pass and as soon as a defender is near, he hits the ground. If this somehow makes him a great anything, then clearly we have a different understanding of the word.

Now, compare that to the recent efforts of second-year receiver Devin Thomas. Against the Denver Broncos a few weeks ago, Thomas caught a Jason Campbell pass and used his speed, plus a series of stutter steps and spin moves to turn a routine route into a highlight-worthy 27-yard gain. Thomas created a little space between himself and the defenders and busted out the kind of play usually reserved for Madden ’10.

The following week, Thomas raced down the right sideline and hauled in a timely 26-yard catch against the Dallas Cowboys. This past weekend, Thomas reeled off the longest play of his young NFL career – a 35-yarder on third-and-seven that kept a third-quarter drive alive.

Three plays later, tight end Fred Davis scored his second touchdown of the season and the Redskins’ offense had three touchdowns in a game for the second time in three weeks.

Thomas’ statistics for the year – 16 catches for 187 yards and one touchdown – aren’t spectacular, but they don’t tell the whole story. In the last three weeks, Thomas has nine catches for 116 yards (as opposed to seven catches for 71 yards in the first eight games). He’s been targeted 17 times during this three-game span, which shows he’s earned Campbell’s trust as he continues to become more and more involved in the offense.

Basically, he’s becoming the go-to guy Randle El could never be.

Regular readers know our stance on Thomas and the rest of the young receivers – the coaching staff’s primary objective for the remainder of the season should be to get the ball in their hands as much as humanly possible. Get them as many reps as possible to build their confidence, and we’re confident they will each prove to be competent and reliable NFL receivers.

In what is becoming a weekly event, we caught up with Thomas, Davis and Malcolm Kelly following the Eagles game to talk about their continued improvement.

All season long, we’ve been telling anyone who will listen that if the coaches give you guys a chance, you won’t disappoint. After another strong performance, can we finally say ‘I told you so?’”

(Laughs). “Ya’ll can say that,” Thomas said. “I ain’t gonna say that, but you can. It feels good, man. I’m finally getting the opportunities I’ve been wishing for since we got drafted and really feel like things are starting to come along. Enough of the ‘he said, she said’ stuff about the playbook or so-called immaturity or whatever. Just give us the ball and we’re gonna make plays. It’s already starting to happen.”

Last week we broke down the numbers and compared the number of plays guys like you, Davis and Kelly are on the field for compared to the Eagles young receivers. People see their production and wonder why you guys are putting up equal numbers, but all of their guys are on the field way more often than any of you. It sounds simple, but you guys can’t make plays if you’re not on the field, right?

“That’s definitely one aspect of it,” he said. “And then there’s stuff like the scheme, who they want to get the ball to and how much time the quarterback has. It all adds up. That’s why, when you start seeing things clicking, it’s because everybody is on the same page.”

Fair enough, but what kind of thoughts go through your head when you see those guys getting so many chances to make plays?

Click here for full article.

Thomas is really starting to come on, he should be very impressive next year.

Davis looks like he's gonna be a stud once he improves his blocking ability, but he also drops as many passes as he catches and needs to improve here as well.

Kelly is a year behind and it shows. He's taken a few steps forward, but needs to increase his game speed and be more aggressive.

These guys have all been labeled busts by many, but I highly doubt that any of them will be a bust.

You know, we can praise these guys without putting down another player. While I don't disagree with you about ARE's punt returning, he's often been a guy who has moved the chains on offense. Certainly in recent years he's been more clutch than Moss, who seems to disappear for games at a time right now.

BTW, Thomas also seems to suffer from happy feet on his returns as well. He needs to improve there.

You know, we can praise these guys without putting down another player. While I don't disagree with you about ARE's punt returning, he's often been a guy who has moved the chains on offense.

Look, you can do whatever you'd like. I, on the other hand, have no issue addressing both the positives and negatives when discussing my favorite football team. As someone who watches the games from the sidelines most weeks, I'm close enough to the action to have noticed a trend -- Antwaan Randle El seems absolutely terrified of being hit. I watched him short arm a pass in Philly because a defender was nearby and he heard footsteps. On plays when he does make the catch, he willfully drops to the ground before anyone can hit him. Need proof? Here's a typical series of my photos when Randle El makes a catch:

4087751980_67148d3b4b.jpg

Randle El makes a catch. He turns upfield and sees defenders closing in. His eyes are now the size of baseballs.

4086995255_5672a10409.jpg

He determines exactly how much further he can go before he runs the risk of being touched by an opposing player ...

4087752166_f28474bb1a.jpg

And dives for the ground as quickly as possible, before we even see a defender in the frame.

4086984823_108eb03d6c.jpg

By the time the opposition gets there, he's already down and they can't deliver any real kind of hit. They can only tag him to ensure he can't get back up and take off again. Maybe if it didn't happen every single week I wouldn't be so critical of the guy, but my feelings are simply - if he's too worried about himself to fight for an extra yard on a team where points and first downs are hard to come by, then maybe this team is better off throwing to other players.

Look, you can do whatever you'd like. I, on the other hand, have no issue addressing both the positives and negatives when discussing my favorite football team.

Nor do I. I'm not saying that you shouldn't critisize players. What I am saying is that in an article that is supposed to be about Thomas Kelly and Davis you spend a good quarter of it ranting about ARE. That's what I have an issue with. If you want to rant about that, write another article.

And whether ARE is tough or not is kinda beside the point when talking about a "clutch" player. ARE has made some big catches for this team, just like Thomas has made some big catches recently.

Murf, couldn't agree more about Randle El and it's something I've noticed for weeks. He goes down too easy, often before contact with a defender is made.

In the Philly game on Sunday when he went down at the 1 he didn't fight to get into the endzone. You don't see that lack of effort from Devin Thomas.

Nor do I. I'm not saying that you shouldn't critisize players. What I am saying is that in an article that is supposed to be about Thomas Kelly and Davis you spend a good quarter of it ranting about ARE. That's what I have an issue with. If you want to rant about that, write another article.

So it sounds like either Murf can stop everything and write articles exactly the way TheLongshot wants them to appear, or you can just skip it and move on.

The latter would be much easier, and better- considering the rest of us appreciate the perspective he gets from the sidelines.

Randle El is our 3rd WR, he has more yards now, than Thomas is projected to have at the end of the year.

There ARE situations where if you know you are going to get tackled, that the best option is to dive forward and collect as much yards as you can. Thomas has been on the field a lot, but we have very little to show for it. Being big and fast means nothing if you are big and fast and not in the correct place.

Has there ever been a player more afraid of contact than Antwaan Randle El?

Todd Pinkston? :whoknows:

You what's bad, is that last year in Philly I was on the same sideline with a former Hog who was calling ARE a coward with all of his fair catches.

Right now, I'd love to see next year go uncapped so we can dump him. He's simply not the same guy Gibbs thought he was when we has brought in from Pittsburgh.

Props to Devin Thomas for turning it on & going from a guy I watched in Carolina last preseason who got constantly abused on Teams to a guy that will fight & lay it all out on the field. I really had my doubts about him, thinking Kelly would be the one to break out if he got healthy. That said, I'm still high on Kelly, but Devin's got him on experience now. There's no doubt about it.

I really like what D.Thomas has shown us. That guy is seriously a beast once he has the ball in his hands. He's tall, fast and can break tackles. I'm still not sold on M.Kelly, but F.Davis is showing that he can be a good pass catching TE just like Cooley. I dont know about either of their run blocking skills, but we have two TE's that are good for the passing game which is great. I'm definitely starting to get excited about d.thomas though. we need to get him the ball as much as possible.

:saintsuck

So it sounds like either Murf can stop everything and write articles exactly the way TheLongshot wants them to appear, or you can just skip it and move on.

The latter would be much easier, and better- considering the rest of us appreciate the perspective he gets from the sidelines.

Yet, I count more responses about ARE than about the players the article is supposedly about. I think that makes my point.

And yes, I'm out of here. Continue to talk about ARE in a Thomas, Kelly, Davis thread.

Props to Devin Thomas...I really had my doubts about him, thinking Kelly would be the one to break out if he got healthy. That said, I'm still high on Kelly, but Devin's got him on experience now. There's no doubt about it.

I had my doubts about Devin Thomas, too, and thought Kelly would be the one to shine once he got healthy.

Am very happy to eat a little crow regarding Thomas recent effort and production. It is looking more and more like the three 2008 2nd rounders are going to turn into something. Especially Thomas.

Great job, Murf! Randle-El is totally relevant in this instance, and I'm glad that you put it down in a real article as opposed to a one-liner post that we see every third post in the gameday threads.

It's amazing how these three are coming on so well. I'm disappointed that Kelly isn't further along, but I'm glad that I may be wrong about Thomas and Sleepy.

Oh, and thanks for making this one free. ;)

Agreed completely, murf. Well-written and well-argued. I had most fears about Kelly, but still feel that the outcome of our top 3 picks has yet to unfold, of course. Our multiple offensive issues (O-line; QB; HC/play-calling; etc.) have made everything from accurate analysis to traditional ignorant scapegoating more difficult.

Rick & I were among the few backing the Davis pick from Day One. That guy has super potential in the right setting. Thomas is starting to mature personally it seems and is evolving pro-level skills that suggest a big upward curve. Davis is an honest major-potential weapon/talent if used and supported properly.

What's holding back their progress in addition to their own quite real baggage and noob developmental stage are all our other issues on offense. If we see those issues settled competently, I predict we'll see that this draft class turns out to be one of our strongest assets. Now, unfortunately, that may make vinny look better if he's still here at that time. :)

I've backed all three from day one. Look back at the posts if you'd like. I really hope ARE is gone next year though. He seems to be taking balls away from Devin, MK, and even Marko. I feel the 3 younger guys can do the things ARE does now, but will have a greater impact on YAC..

Some plays where ARE catches the ball in open space I think Devin could have taken to the house, easily.

And whether ARE is tough or not is kinda beside the point when talking about a "clutch" player. ARE has made some big catches for this team, just like Thomas has made some big catches recently.

Actually I would say you and murf are both correct. You are correct, IMO, that the criticism of ARE wasn't needed in an article about Thmoas, Davis, and Kelly. But, murf did use ARE as a contrast to show the high level of effort being put forth by the other 3. So while it may not have been necessary to get the point across, it did add context/contrast, which can be useful.

Now, I'm glad that Thomas has stepped it up. I thought before he was drafted that his lack of experience made him have a lot of bust potential. And he had an immature streak as well which affected his first camp. But he matured and stepped up big time. The physical way he is playing has been fantastic.

Kelly caught on early winning the #2 spot from Thomas by the end of preseason. But Kelly only showed glimses of his potential, he was never consistent early in the season, and he lost his spot to a recommitted Thomas. But now Kelly has started to deliver in spot duty on a consistent basis. Davis has been a YAC monster and showing the value of drafting BPA.

It's nice to see these guys stepping up, and though I know from experience many won't, hopefully some learn a lesson about being too eager to declare players as busts when the times are tough.

As far as ARE goes, he has delivered above reasonable initial expectations by filling in the #2 role though he has always been suited for the slot. He did well despite his limitations. He has done ok in the slot, but his punt returning has not been good as a Skin and just gets worse. I appreciate the positives, but I wouldn;t mind if he was let go in the offseason for a team that can better use him. I would prefer Thomas and Kelly starting next season, and let Moss tear it up in the slot and take over punt return duties personally (though I do have issues with a perceived lack of effort from Moss lately).

When I read the part that says "Basically, he’s becoming the go-to guy Randle El could never be," I had to re-read that lol. I guess it depends on how you define "go-to guy", but that line doesn't really fit in with anything else that was said before. I haven't seen Thomas becoming any more of a "go-to guy" than Randle-El has been since coming to the redskins.

I tend to define "go-to guy" as the receiver who can be relied upon to be where he is supposed to be (runs good routes), can bail out the QB, and can move the chains consistently. ARE has been rather consistent in that regard from the 2007 season onward.

Skins recievers with highest % of catches for 1st downs (with at least 10 receptions):

2009:

Kelly - 75%

ARE - 72.5%

Thomas (over last three games) - 56%

2008:

ARE - 64.2%

Moss - 63.3%

2007:

ARE - 74.5%

McCardell - 72.4%

*usuallly the highest 1st down % is around 88%

I'm not saying this means ARE is a bonafide "go-to" receiver in the NFL...I'm just saying that, on THIS team, he's been converting 1st downs at a higher rate than pretty much all the other receivers on the Skins over the last 3 seasons. Now, converting catches into 1st downs and "fighting" for extra yards are in no way the same thing in my eyes...so I don't really see Thomas' toughness to mean he's more of a "go-to guy" than ARE is.

Archived