Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Lose a Leg for Afghanistan?

Koolblue13

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm guessing the poll is asking if we'd be willing to sacrifice ourselves to accomplish our military mission in AStan.

I'm a veteran, my answer when I was 17 was Yes and my answer now that I'm 32 is still Yes. However, atleast for me, it wasn't about the mission as much as it was about my brothers with whom I served. I would go fight little green people on Mars with my brothers if we were asked to go.

I'm guessing the poll is asking if we'd be willing to sacrifice ourselves to accomplish our military mission in AStan.

I'm a veteran, my answer when I was 17 was Yes and my answer now that I'm 32 is still Yes. However, atleast for me, it wasn't about the mission as much as it was about my brothers with whom I served. I would go fight little green people on Mars with my brothers if we were asked to go.

Would you risk losing a leg for your family?

Because that is what your brothers in arms are, your family. So, yes, I would risk losing a leg if it meant keeping my family safe.

This and This!

Though the question is a bit vague and confounded the sentiment, atleast for me, is the same.

I just returned from Afghan about 3 months ago with my group and i will tell your that it is the most important missing going on as well as the front for the GWOT. We will probably be in Pakistan soon IMO.

As I have suspected for years. Your post strengthens my hunch that there is so much more at play here than the general public knows. This is a slowly (and purposefully) escalating mission that culminates in so much more (and so differently) than we are being told about. It doesn't matter who is prez or what his agenda is. It's about things that have nothing to with freedom, justice, oil or revenge.

I don't understand what the problem with my question is.

We are at war in Afghanistan. In war, you have a chance to be seriously injured.

That injury could be losing a leg. Do you believe in what we are doing in there, enough to give up your own leg, win or lose.

I have a chance sitting here in California to lose a leg in the Afghanistan War? It's just a strange hypothetical. If the choice is losing a leg in the war as a soldier, this would seem to require enlistment first. So, since I don't think the war is or was crucial enough to enlist, the "losing a leg" part seems a needless extension of that choice.

If the hypothetical is: Lose a leg (whether soldier or civilian) and everything we're trying to accomplish in Afghanistan magically succeeds, I'm not sure even then, because I don't think our leaders have much of an idea of what they're trying to accomplish.

I don't understand what the problem with my question is.

We are at war in Afghanistan. In war, you have a chance to be seriously injured.

That injury could be losing a leg. Do you believe in what we are doing in there, enough to give up your own leg, win or lose.

Like I said earlier, you don't get injured in war for the place you are deployed to. You get injured in war for those you deploy with. Soldiers don't have the luxury of deciding whether they agree with a mission; they just go. The people around you (and those at home) are what make you go out each day. That is why the overwhelming sentiment amongst the injured is to hurry back to their units.

Your question is twisted. You are focusing on what the overall public thinks the mission is about. No one will volunteer to lose a leg for Afghanistan. However, a high percentage of our force will risk losing a leg to protect those they hold close. Seriously, how many people would sign up if the recruiter said, "Sign up for the {insert branch} and lose a leg in Afghanistan".

would i trade a leg for a taliban-less peace in afganistan? yes, yes i would. (but that question is utter fantasy, of course)

would i RISK a leg (or arm or my life) for a small hand in whatever it is the US is doing there ... that's a much more complicated question.

i have no idea how to answer this poll.

Archived