Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Danny really want Mike Shanahan as the next coach?

Redzone Offense

How many coaches do you think Snyder has fired?

It would be a lonely resort.

well, assuming he lets go of zorn, he'll have fired 3 out of 5... I didn't say it would be a big resort, but at the rate he is going, there should be allotted room for additonal lots...

How many coaches do you think Snyder has fired?

It would be a lonely resort.

That's the irony of this - it's only 2 at the moment (3 when Zorny gets the ax), it just seems like more. Robiskie was an interim, Spurrier & Gibbs resigned. And as for the 2 that Danny has fired, Norv wasn't Danny's hire & from what I remember, Marty was fired from his GM duties, not his coaching duties, and he resigned as coach I believe (feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken on this, it seems like ages ago).

As for Shanny being worth or not being worth $50 mill, if Danny wants to pay him so be it - keep in mind Shanny probably wants complete control which means GM duties as well, so it would be the same as spending $25 mill for each position. Whoever the next head coach is, I just want someone other than Danny or Vinny making that decision. If Danny picks Shanny to do both, I suppose we could do alot worse considering that Chucky is staying with ESPN, Holmgren won't come here, Dungy won't come here, Cowher most likely won't come here, Billick was overrated, etc. Why not go with someone who has a proven track record.

Shanahan may have never won a title after Elway, but that cuts both ways.

Elway doesn't win 2 Super Bowls without the running attack (T. Davis) and passing game that Shanahan developed. He would be just like Marino, winless, if not for Shanahan.

They both needed each other.

And don't forget how they got caught for circumventing the salary cap to get those SB wins. I don't think the league punished them enough that year.

That's the irony of this - it's only 2 at the moment (3 when Zorny gets the ax), it just seems like more. Robiskie was an interim, Spurrier & Gibbs resigned. And as for the 2 that Danny has fired, Norv wasn't Danny's hire & from what I remember, Marty was fired from his GM duties, not his coaching duties, and he resigned as coach I believe (feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken on this, it seems like ages ago).

That's the thing about it. Basically, the only coach he fired was Marty and he has admitted it was a mistake. Fans say we need to hire the next hot young up and comer, then they want him fired after a season and a half. Zorn has to continue to grow and time to build the team he wants, for his system, which is very different than what Gibbs wanted.

Right now, he has only fired one coach. He has tried to bring in an experienced GM/HC in Marty (which he has admitted he handled wrong and learned), he has hired 2 young up and comers and has done everything to get the the players they needed.

I hate to be put in the apologist role for Danny, because I'm no fan of his really, but the misinformation is frustrating.

I wouldn't mind Shanahan as the Coach...he is a serious upgrade over what we have now (not saying much but he is also one of the best options out there)...my concern again is whether or not Vinny is coming back...if he comes back...I don't see much changing.

Unless Shanahan isn't afraid to tell both Dan & Vinny to sit down and shut up.

I wouldn't mind Shanahan as the Coach...he is a serious upgrade over what we have now (not saying much but he is also one of the best options out there)...my concern again is whether or not Vinny is coming back...if he comes back...I don't see much changing.

Unless Shanahan isn't afraid to tell both Dan & Vinny to sit down and shut up.

Reports have been that Shanny wants complete control wherever he goes, so that would mean that Vinny is out, which can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

That's the thing about it. Basically, the only coach he fired was Marty and he has admitted it was a mistake. Fans say we need to hire the next hot young up and comer, then they want him fired after a season and a half. Zorn has to continue to grow and time to build the team he wants, for his system, which is very different than what Gibbs wanted.

Right now, he has only fired one coach. He has tried to bring in an experienced GM/HC in Marty (which he has admitted he handled wrong and learned), he has hired 2 young up and comers and has done everything to get the the players they needed.

I hate to be put in the apologist role for Danny, because I'm no fan of his really, but the misinformation is frustrating.

All of these mistakes are Danny's responsibility though. He keeps his pal Vinny in the GM role all of these years even though Vinny can't player personnel his way out of a paper bag. Norv shouldn't have been fired when he was, Danny fires Marty from the same duties he hired him for in the first place and then changed his mind because "picking the players himself was much more fun". Spurrier had no business on an NFL sideline, then Joe came back which was a lucky break for Danny and then Zorn is hired who has no business being hired. Every offseason he wants to make the big splash in free agency rather than sit down and figure out the best way to Too many broken philosophies in how to run an organization and how to put together a successful franchise.

I actually believe that Danny wants to win, but facts are facts he's screwed up big time with decision making and the direction of the franchise, and hasn't been pro-fan either.

Ok, I am going on my experienc eof Living in Colorado here. Mike Shanahan always had total control over his team. He drafted well and never really had a defense. If he would have stayed another year with Cutler the Bronocs would have been the same this year. He is a great offensive mind. That's what we need. I like his zone blocking with smaller backs and he always placed an emphasis on the o-line. I think if he came in Greg Blache would stay d-coordinator because he has done a good job. Next year's draft will be spent getting younger at the o-line and at quaterback. Seems to me Jimmy Clausen or Colt Mccoy would be our QB with a smaller young, faster o-line

I know we can't continue w. Zorn, but it's scary when you look at the paucity of choices for a replacement out there. No one out there is a sure thing to be a major upgrade. The only thing I'd feel good about it maybe is a G Williams hire, but I don't thing that'll happen.. I tend to agree with the folks who say we should avoid the old proven superbowl winners--I agree they're just not likely to possess the drive and fire we need.

Shanahan is my first choice, probably, but I wouldn't be unhappy if we got another coach who's either been great, or is promising. I'd be happy with Grimm, or many other NFL coaches or aspiring coaches, doubt Holmgren will have anything to do with DC because of his friend Zorn, no college coaches please.

And I seriously doubt that a few hundred thousand dollar contract extension with ESPN is going to stop Gruden from being on the sidelines again, if that's what he wants.

Besides, he was a great coach for Oakland, and I think that might be the only spot in the NFL worse than DC. The owner is even more hands on, even more impatient, willing to spend whatever it takes, and Gruden made them a SB worthy team (losing in the AFC Championship to the eventual SB Champs and historically the NFL best ever Ravens' defense after his MVP QB was knocked out early in the game), then lost the next year's AFC Championship to the New England Patriots (and the refs) on the worst call in the history of the NFL, the tuck rule, which I don't think had been used before and hasn't since. won the SB with the underachieving Tampa Bay Bucs. After that his owners decided to stop spending cash and they slowly went downhill. If he can do it with the Raiders, I don't see why he couldn't do it in DC.

I'm just saying, I think people that are saying he's out of the picture are probably hoping he is, but I'm not sure why.

I think Dan wants a coach who will win, but I don't know if he's willing to go the outrageously expensive HC way, after the expensive guaranteed contracts for some past coaches, Schottenheimer's 25 mil. Of course, we did just spend $100+ mil on one player, and that WAS the going rate, wether or not people want to admit he would be making it somewhere if it wasn't here.

If we're going to shell out ten large per, we should hire Pioli as Team President/GM and hire a cheaper Russ Grimm as HC.

Completely agree.

#1) $50 mill for 5yrs. Guess what....Denver still owes Shanahan 10 mill next yr. I think if anyone is going to take him away from 10mill it will take obviously more then that. So $50 mill over 5yrs is just the start.

#2) For the other teams like Buffalo who will be in the same boat as us at the end of the season, I presume Shanahan being one of maybe 3 top HC's available will be saught after hard by other teams. They may not be able to pay but they will try to make other concessions.

#3) Gruden's out since his ESPN contract, Holmgren although being courted would rather be the front office for Seattle, So we are left with Shanahan or Cowher. Cowher from what a lot of insiders are saying is interested in the Panthers job. So in a nut shell Shanahan is the only viable option out there....unless your going to bring up Billick or Fassel. I'm completely turned off by the last two.

#4) People are mentioning getting young coaching talent. From where? Who are the candidates? DS won't go the college route he got burned with Spurrier. If he goes the Co-ordinator route he's gunna do some serious homework. How about instead of people just saying "we need to locate new young talent instead of getting a retread" they come up with a name or two whome they think would be a good HC who's currently a OC.

#1) $50 mill for 5yrs. Guess what....Denver still owes Shanahan 10 mill next yr. I think if anyone is going to take him away from 10mill it will take obviously more then that. So $50 mill over 5yrs is just the start.

#2) For the other teams like Buffalo who will be in the same boat as us at the end of the season, I presume Shanahan being one of maybe 3 top HC's available will be saught after hard by other teams. They may not be able to pay but they will try to make other concessions.

#3) Gruden's out since his ESPN contract, Holmgren although being courted would rather be the front office for Seattle, So we are left with Shanahan or Cowher. Cowher from what a lot of insiders are saying is interested in the Panthers job. So in a nut shell Shanahan is the only viable option out there....unless your going to bring up Billick or Fassel. I'm completely turned off by the last two.

#4) People are mentioning getting young coaching talent. From where? Who are the candidates? DS won't go the college route he got burned with Spurrier. If he goes the Co-ordinator route he's gunna do some serious homework. How about instead of people just saying "we need to locate new young talent instead of getting a retread" they come up with a name or two whome they think would be a good HC who's currently a OC.

Mike Mularkey OC Atlanta Falcons

Marty Morningwhig OC Eagles

Bruce Arians OC Steelers

Darrel Bevell OC Vikings

DCs that would make good HC

Mike Zimmer DC Bengals

Leslie Frazier DC Vikings

I agree Wilson should hire Russ Grimm since the Redskins will never consider him. Don't want Shanahan. Don't need him to make more mistakes and get paid more money to make the same kinds of mistakes he made in Denver.

He was putting up 30+ points in Denver andbwe have a great Dfence

Archived