Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Danny really want Mike Shanahan as the next coach?

Redzone Offense

This article on Yahoo Sports brings up a lot of good points. Shanahan hasn't done much of anything since Elway retired. Jason (if he resigns) is no John Elway, so what he really going to do w/ him? Can we really expect him to turn our franchise around?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/-50-million-for-Mike-Shanahan-Let-s-all-just-ca;_ylt=Avou0kCXMFtTNK.J1DGCWYhDubYF?urn=nfl,204799

$50 million for Mike Shanahan? Let's all just calm down here

By MJD

Owner Ralph Wilson is looking for someone to coach his Buffalo Bills, and he's not being shy about the fact that he's willing to pay someone a lot of money. NFL.com's Vic Carucci passes along this tidbit about the huge price tag that might be attached to Mike Shanahan, who may be the top target at this point.

"You're probably talking about $50 million over five years and maybe even a piece of the team," said a source close to Shanahan. "And by all indications, Wilson is ready to have that conversation."

I like Mike Shanahan and all, but $50 million? Yeah, he won two Super Bowls, but that wasn't yesterday. That was back when Eddie George, Jamal Anderson, Ricky Watters and Garrison Hearst were among the league's best running backs. That was back when Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck saved the world by drilling into a moving meteor. That was back when R. Kelly was just some guy who made enjoyable records.

The point is that the '97 and '98 Shanahan magic might not be there anymore. In fact, in the ten years he coached since then, he's won in the playoffs just once. Now, I'm not one of those people who believe Shanahan only won because he had John Elway under center, but I do happen to believe that the ten years since then matter, too.

When we last left Mike Shanahan, he'd lost half of his last 48 games, and missed the playoffs three straight years. He had made some brutal personnel decisions, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. He had even lost his magical ability to make a 1,000-yard runner out of anyone with two legs.

The Broncos replaced Shanahan as a head coach and as a personnel man, downgraded significantly at quarterback, and then they rattled off six wins in a row.

I'm not saying any of this makes Mike Shanahan a bad coach. A clean break may have been exactly what the Broncos needed, and exactly what he needed. I am saying, though, that if I were in Ralph Wilson's shoes, I'd be extremely, extremely nervous about handing over $50 million in guaranteed money, as well as a piece of the franchise, to a guy who had, over the last ten years, won one more playoff game than Brian Boitano.

Whether Shanny is worth 50 million probably not but the one thing working for him is he has little competition if the goal is to hire an established coach.

So far arguably Danny hasn't done great but at least better with established coaches, Marty and Gibbs than he has with newbees -- Zorn and Spurrier. So am guessing he might go the establishment route.

Gruden is out. Cowher from what I read is staying on broadcasting unless Carolina's job opens, Holmgren apparently wants a FO job.

So who is it Shanny versus guys like Fassel, Martz and Billick? I am not endorsing Shanny or anybody but am just saying his leverage is looking good becuase of the market. His coaching career post Elway wasn't exactly a horror show, he made multiple playoff runs, including twice with that stud QB Jake Plummer, one year with Jake they went 13-3.

Shanny became sort of like Marty in that span, making the playoffs frequently enough but then getting knocked out of it.

Shanny HC/GM & currently using Wilson to drive up his numbers.

I was hopeful back in March/April that would come to fruition, but when we lost out in the Cutler race, I was back to thinking Cowher would be the man Snyder courted again.

But after your "just a simple, quick question" thread boss man the other month, and the subsequent rumour and counter rumour with the Bills; I'm back to holding out serious hope Shanahan will be here with his staff in 2010, building this thing his way.

Hail.

Why always the need to hire a proven name.

Why not do some homework and find an awesome coach without much of a name. Guys like Tomlin, and Whisenhunt are good examples.

Always? Zorn was one of those been there forever head coaches? Jim Zorn wasn't even a coordinator, he was a QB coach -- and they took a mega chance on him. Spurrier was a good college coach, not an established NFL head coach -- they took a chance on him too.

How did those two hires fare versus bringing back Gibbs and hiring Marty? I follow your point, but its not as if they haven't tried the route you espoused. Maybe Danny has it in him to get it right and the third time's the charm by discovering the next up and comer but I understand those that have their doubts about that.

Always? Zorn was one of those been there forever head coaches? Jim Zorn wasn't even a coordinator, he was a QB coach -- and they took a mega chance on him. Spurrier was a good college coach, not an established NFL head coach -- they took a chance on him too.

How did those two hires fare versus bringing back Gibbs and hiring Marty? I follow your point, but its not as if they haven't tried the route you espoused. Maybe Danny has it in him to get it right and the third time's the charm by discovering the next up and comer but I understand those that have their doubts about that.

Zorn I would agree with, slightly... Spurrier not so much...

Spurrier was a huge name at the time...

As far as the Zorn thing goes... thats on Danny and Vinny for completely screwing up the process of hiring a coach.

It's unprecedented (at least from my knowledge) to hire your future coach's staff before you even know who the future coach will be.

I don't think any respectable coach was going to come in knowing that he wouldn't have much say over his own staff.

Zorn's hiring was more like an "oops" on the front office's part. I was shocked they brought him back for round2.

Zorn I would agree with, slightly...

Slightly? I get your point about Spurrier but IMO Zorn is a poster child for this team trying to find the next up and comer. I recall all the fodder at the time, about Reid likewise was a QB coach -- and the Holmgren coaching tree, etc.

I don't even see this even remotely as potentially the Skins FIRST go of trying to find the next up and comer. IMO we have been there and done that.

Heck go even prior to Snyder: Pettibon (yeah he was the DC forever and old but not an established HC) and that young wiz offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, Norv Turner. And with Spurrier lets see how the fun and gun translates to the NFL?

I am not a big Marty fan, love Gibbs but not as much his 2nd run -- but you can argue the team had more success under those guys then they have with playing a new wild card type of coach.

I do understand your thought and If I was confident that Danny had the acumen to find the next up and comer I'd be with you but I wonder about that.

so in two or three years, shanny will be on synder's payroll to play golf to the tune of 10M+ a year?

snyder should just open a resort for all his coaches that he fires before their contract expires.... make it an amusement park where skin fans can look at the disposed coaches...

Why always the need to hire a big name.

Why not do some homework and find an awesome coach without much of a name. Guys like Tomlin, and Whisenhunt are good examples.

I believe that would require a GM to help in that task because Snyder is not capable of doing that.

On a side note, did you see the fact that the GM of Lions (Martin Mayhew, former Skin) came down and told Culpepper that he wasn't going to play and Culpepper was acting like a petulant child. He didn't like it, but he sat their and took it. You know the world is upside down when from a front office perspective that the Lions are better run than the Redskins are.

Shanahan is going to end up in Chicago, anyway. He's from there, and he can work with Cutler again. They will fork over the cash because they want to compete in the conference, not just in the division.

I agree with you, while snyder could undoubtedly outbid most teams, I think shanny knows what he can do with cutler and knows he'd have to start from scratch in DC... and if there is one thing these "legend" coaches all want, it is a situation where a good QB in already in place, and since they can afford to be more picky than first timers, it would make sense, to me, that shanny goes to chicago... cowher has mentioned repeatedly he wouldn't return unless it was a team with a franchise QB...

When Dan Reeves was with Denver, he went to several SBs w/ Elway, but of couse got blown out. When Shanahan replaced him, he NEVER won a playoff game until Terrell Davis showed up.

TD and Elway out the door, and his teams became just what the Snyder-era Skins have been - a decade of mediocrity with a couple playoff appearances and only one playoff win.

One thing overlooked by the writer - the reason Shanny couldn't find anymore solid RBs is because the man who designed Denver's running game left for Atlanta.

Shanahan will be a costly disappointment wherever he goes. Let's STOP putting the cart before the horse and hire a promising GM, and LET the GM PICK THE NEXT HC!

so in two or three years, shanny will be on synder's payroll to play golf to the tune of 10M+ a year?

snyder should just open a resort for all his coaches that he fires before their contract expires.... make it an amusement park where skin fans can look at the disposed coaches...

How many coaches do you think Snyder has fired?

It would be a lonely resort.

Originally Posted by Drastik viewpost.gif

Why always the need to hire a proven name.

This is why the first move needs to be for a GOOD, COMPETENT GM who will make that decision. Danny & Vinny have failed at making decisions, so a good GM who has total power to make decisions is what's needed here first, before there's any talk of a head coach. Look around the league and tell me how many GOOD GM's make bad coaching choices. It happens, but rarely.

Get rid of Vinny first and fingers crossed Danny takes a step back and gives complete control to a GM to make good, competent decisions.

talking about $50 million over five years and maybe even a piece of the team," said a source close to Shanahan. "And by all indications, Wilson is ready to have that conversation."

I like Mike Shanahan and all, but $50 million? Yeah, he won two Super Bowls, but that wasn't yesterday. That was back when Eddie George, Jamal Anderson, Ricky Watters and Garrison Hearst were among the league's best running backs. That was back when Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck saved the world by drilling into a moving meteor. That was back when R. Kelly was just some guy who made enjoyable records.

The point is that the '97 and '98 Shanahan magic might not be there anymore. In fact, in the ten years he coached since then, he's won in the playoffs just once. Now, I'm not one of those people who believe Shanahan only won because he had John Elway under center, but I do happen to believe that the ten years since then matter, too.

When we last left Mike Shanahan, he'd lost half of his last 48 games, and missed the playoffs three straight years. He had made some brutal personnel decisions, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. He had even lost his magical ability to make a 1,000-yard runner out of anyone with two legs.

Shanny wasn't fired because he was a bad coach.

He was fired because he wouldn't fire his defensive coordinator.

Shanny built the No.4 offense in the league that year.

The only reason imo they didn't have a 1,000 yard rush that year was because they had almost every RB on the team sustain a season ending injury.

The guy is a good coach.

His price will be whatever the market dictates.

When you buy a HD TV you don't belly ache about the price.

Archived