Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder On the passing of Wizards Owner Abe Pollin

TK

November 24, 2009

Redskins Park

Washington Redskins Owner Daniel M. Snyder On the passing of Washington Wizards Owner Abe Pollin:

"Abe Pollin was a great owner for Washington, as well as a personal friend. His legacy will live through his teams and the arena he built, and just as importantly, through his commitment to his family and to Washington. My thoughts and prayers go out to Irene and the rest of his wonderful family."

Abe Pollin was a class act.

Here is an example.

Back in 1979, the Bullets were defending champions and they were playing game six in the Eastern Conference finals at San Antonio. If the Bullets won, game seven would be held in Washington.

The Bullets won and on the TV screen the announcement was made that 3,000 tickets would go on sale the next morning at 10AM at Cap Centre. I got up at 4AM and went out there. I was about number 100 in line. 10AM came and the line didn't move.

Then, we were told it was sold out. What had happened was tickets went on sale at 10AM at Ticketron locations.

I drove to work pretty ticked off. I called the Bullets and asked to speak to Abe Pollin. I was told he was enroute from San Antonio and he would call me back.

Late in the day, I got a call from the Executive Vice President Jerry Sachs, saying that Abe asked him to call me.

I told Jerry that I love the Bullets and just wanted to help them understand that putting the message on TV that the tickets would be sold at the Centre, and then selling them via Ticketron was bad form, and it cost me a half-days work.

He thanked me and asked me if I was interested in going to the finals if the Bullets won game 7. He said he couldn't do anything about game 7 as it was over-maxed out at that point.

It is important to note that I did not ask for anything, except a return call.

I said yes, and Jerry said he could get the tickets for me, but I would have to pay face value for them. I agreed, of course.

The Bullets won. I went to the Centre for game one of the finals and at Will Call there was an envelope for me with a hand written note from "Abe Pollin."

To this day, I am grateful to Abe Pollin, Jerry Sachs and the Bullets organization. I have always remembered how they dealt with me. It is a model.

Thanks. Rest in peace, Abe.

Quoted, Bolded and made a little bigger for emphesis.

But I want to say I dont mean any disrespect. When Cooke passed, this fanbase definitely felt the shock. Snyder hasn't done us much in his time as the owner (as we know) but how he acts this offseason can really change things for him.

Abe Pollin revitalized an entire section of DC by spending his money to build the Verizon Center. From what I hear, an absolute class act.

He will be missed. Danny needs to think long and hard about what his legacy will be after he passes.

Quoted, Bolded and made a little bigger for emphesis.

Maybe everyone should think a little about what their legacy is....not just owners of local sports teams.

Here is an example.

Back in 1979, the Bullets were defending champions and they were playing game six in the Eastern Conference finals at San Antonio. If the Bullets won, game seven would be held in Washington.

That's an awesome story man. Thanks for sharing...

Abe Pollin revitalized an entire section of DC by spending his money to build the Verizon Center. From what I hear, an absolute class act.

He will be missed. Danny needs to think long and hard about what his legacy will be after he passes.

Man! this is so true and my family members texted me asking me if I knew Abe had died. I was shocked before I got the text, because I go out to the Washington post web site every day.

Also, I was born and raised in the heart of D.C and had friends that lived in Linda Pollin. A community that Abe built in the name of his wife.

This is a sad day for the entire D.C/MD area that grew up with Abe, the Bullets and all Abe did for the area and not for his own greed or personal gain. Abe was a descent kind hearted man and did what he thought was right despite of others.

Here's my sincere condolences to Abe's family and hoping the Wiz can suck it in and play they're hearts out for his legacy. And hoping someone takes over the Organization that also dearly loves the D.C/MD area and do what's right to bring another Championships to the Nations Cap.

Here is an example.

The Bullets won and on the TV screen the announcement was made that 3,000 tickets would go on sale the next morning at 10AM at Cap Centre. I got up at 4AM and went out there. I was about number 100 in line. 10AM came and the line didn't move.

Then, we were told it was sold out. What had happened was tickets went on sale at 10AM at Ticketron locations.

I drove to work pretty ticked off. I called the Bullets and asked to speak to Abe Pollin. I was told he was enroute from San Antonio and he would call me back.

Late in the day, I got a call from the Executive Vice President Jerry Sachs, saying that Abe asked him to call me.

I told Jerry that I love the Bullets and just wanted to help them understand that putting the message on TV that the tickets would be sold at the Centre, and then selling them via Ticketron was bad form, and it cost me a half-days work.

He thanked me and asked me if I was interested in going to the finals if the Bullets won game 7. He said he couldn't do anything about game 7 as it was over-maxed out at that point.

It is important to note that I did not ask for anything, except a return call.

I said yes, and Jerry said he could get the tickets for me, but I would have to pay face value for them. I agreed, of course.

The Bullets won. I went to the Centre for game one of the finals and at Will Call there was an envelope for me with a hand written note from "Abe Pollin."

To this day, I am grateful to Abe Pollin, Jerry Sachs and the Bullets organization. I have always remembered how they dealt with me. It is a model.

Wow. Just, wow.

I know that we're not supposed to quote large blocks of text, but that deserved repeating.

THAT is an owner. I hope that we have an owner who will treat us like that one day.

To be fair, when a limited amount of playoff tickets went on sale for the Detroit game back in early 2000, I think Dan opened up the club level for the people who were standing out at FedEx overnight.

Ah, Dan's first year as owner and we were division champs. Who woulda thunk......

Ted Leonsis is a great owner, and the fans love him. They really do.

Abe Pollin, after seeing the mess which led to the sorry situation we are in now, took care of the team and fans. Too bad Jack Kent Cooke lacked the foresight to protect the Redskins franchise and fans.

I just hope Dan Snyder gets his act together.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/25/leonsis-gets-right-of-first-refusal-to-buy-wizards/

For nearly a decade, a plan has been in place to ensure that the Washington Wizards remain locally owned. Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis holds the right of first refusal for any transfer of ownership.

...The agreement with Leonsis was a clear attempt to avoid the controversy involving the Washington Redskins upon the death of Jack Kent Cooke in 1996. While Cooke's son, John, expressed interest in taking over the team, his father's final wishes were unclear, and the team was put up for sale. Marketing executive Daniel Snyder outbid Cooke for the team.

Click on the link for the full article.

Take notes, Dan. This is who you should want to be.

A man that loved the fans of his organization, loved this community (revitalized much of downtown D.C.), was kind and generous to those in need, and wanted nothing more than seeing his players succeed on, and most importantly, off the court.

Archived