Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clausen punched by ND fan

Spaceman Spiff

Wow...

Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen was punched in the face by an irate fan outside a South Bend restaurant early Sunday morning and has a swollen eye, a person briefed on the incident said on Monday.

That person said Clausen was "sucker-punched" by a fan as he left an establishment after having dinner with his parents.

The fan allegedly said something to Clausen and/or a female acquaintance.

A South Bend police spokesman said that no police reports were filed over the weekend involving Clausen, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The newspaper also reported that the name of the bar was CJ's and that a bartender at the establishment said that Clausen had been there with family members and other Irish upperclassmen after Notre Dame's loss to Connecticut on Senior Day.

The source told ESPN.com that the injury is not expected to keep Clausen from playing this weekend against Stanford.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4684326

I'm not a huge college football fan but from what I understand Clausen is hardly ND's problem. What's the deal?

He probably didn't deserve it, but I hear he's a world class douche bag.

What makes you say that? I've never heard anything bad about the guy. And he's definitely not the reason ND sucks. Weis is their main problem. But no one deserves that kind of treatment. Yet another example of fans taking things too seriously.

I'm not a huge college football fan but from what I understand Clausen is hardly ND's problem. What's the deal?

It's Catholism. It's a fiery religion which puts a lot of focus on personal achievement on both the football field and basketball court. If Clausen doesn't like it he can go play for the Mormons or Methodists who wouldn't be put out wiht a loss to U. Conn.

It's Catholism. It's a fiery religion which puts a lot of focus on personal achievement on both the football field and basketball court. If Clausen doesn't like it he can go play for the Mormons or Methodists who wouldn't be put out wiht a loss to U. Conn.

You are kidding, right? My sarcasm meter needs an oil change.

Well, then your post is all but a little idiotic.

That's because you don't see the big picture and you don't know how ot read between the lines. How did UVA become a great school? Two words Ralph Sampson. UVA's admissions, endowment and reputation took a major leep into premier schools all based upon Ralph's round ball skills. How did Virginia Tech go from being the school folks went too who couldn't get into UVA to one of the harder schools to get into in the state, probable 1200+ SAT's to get into today. Three Words Winning Football Program.

You think the Catholic Church is oblivious to this?

Winning sports programs are a proven draw to Universities. Universities make millions even billions of dollars collectively on winning programs. The difference between 900-1000 SAT entry exams for students at U of Maryland and 1200-1400 entry requirements at Virginia Tech are whether your football/basketball team went to a bowl game and won it or not.

Look at what John Thompson's basketball teams meant for G-Town!... G-Town is one of the hardest schools in the east coast to get into today. It and UVA are like Ivy League schools.... All based upon sucessful sports programs.

Now you look at the shrinking poll numbers for the Catholic church in the United States. You look at the fact that we are recruiting mesogonists and homo phobes from the Anglicans. Let's face it putting together some winning sports programs is central to the Vatican's new recruitment drive. Get the church recruiting out of the gutter and into some prime #1 draft pick neighborhood in the way of sporting communities who religiously follow their teams already. A community who already organize their calenders largely based upon faith and dogma. Like Skins fans for instance.

Notre Dame is a big part of the Vatican's plan to return the Church to dominance in the 21st century. Get Notre Dame, Xavier, G-Town, St Johns, Boston College, St. Albans, Holy Cross, Providence, and St Anselm, firing on all cylinders again and it's a mighty good recruiting year for the man with the little white bennie.

Notre Dame today is a pretty big hole in Churchs line up. Clausen has to toughen up and stop blaming his defense. I think that's why the vatican had him socked in the mouth. I'm sure Benedict made the decision to send the kid a message in front of his family. Or did you think it coincidence the kid was eating ham on a friday when he was punched?

Anyway that's my modest observation.

I agree with you about sports being a big influence on schools but I doubt the Pope follows Notre Dame football. :laugh:

I think you are incredible Naive... What do you think the vatican makes on Notre Dame football? What's a bigger draw. St. Peter's in Rome or the Michigan game?

I don't know, FEF, one of my goals is to get to a college game at South Bend sometime. I don't like Notre Dame, but I respect the hell out of them and all of their tradition!

I really can't stand ND but I have been to 2 games there and its awesome. There is a ton of tradition and its just a really cool environment.

The difference between 900-1000 SAT entry exams for students at U of Maryland and 1200-1400 entry requirements at Virginia Tech are whether your football/basketball team went to a bowl game and won it or not.

Really. That's fascinating, JMS. So tell me. What does it feel like to pull make-believe statistics out of your ass? :hysterical:

Here are the 25th-75th percentile SAT scores for Maryland and Virginia Tech, and some other stats too, from the 2008 admissions cycle (source: Collegeboard.com). Apparently you've got some 'splainin' to do:

Maryland: Verbal 570-680, Math 600-700, Total 1170-1380, admissions rate 39%, 65% had high school GPA of 3.75 or higher, 73% in top 10th of high school graduating class.

VA Tech: Verbal 540-630, Math 570-670, Total 1110-1300, admissions rate 65%, 54% had high school GPA of 3.75 or higher, 42% in top 10th of high school graduating class.

Oh, JMS. :doh:

I think your first mistake was assuming, for some reason, that VT is the academically superior or more selective school.

But running a close second would be your decision to totally make up an SAT spread of 300-400 freaking points in the wrong direction and assume nobody would notice. Some of us know things about both schools, and are aware that the SAT spread runs about 70 points in Maryland's favor.

The sad thing is, your point about sports improving a school's academic standing is absolutely true -- although I'd argue that it's more a function of winning championships than just going to bowl games. You just chose, Michael Moore style, to twist reality in support of a point that needed no distortion.

You can pick on Maryland's football all you want -- they suck. But don't make up crap about Maryland's academics being 300-400 points worse than Virginia Freaking Tech. :hysterical:

I think you are incredible Naive... What do you think the vatican makes on Notre Dame football? What's a bigger draw. St. Peter's in Rome or the Michigan game?

You have to be kidding. St. Peters in gets visited year round and is a tourist attraction for everyone who visits Rome, Catholic or not. The Michigan/ND game is once a year. Besides, most of the money that ND makes off football gets put back into athletic program for coaches, recruiting, maintaining facilities, etc.

Archived