Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could the Skins ever leave DC?

guinnesscrazy

A friend of mine told me that he heard there is some secret phone recording of Dan Snyder conversing with other entities about the possibilities of moving the team to L.A.

Normally, I'd brush this type of rumor off as pure BS, but this is the same friend that told me he knew Snyder's pilot of Redskins One, and the Skins had been out to Denver [to meet with Shanahan] - a day after the meeting (way before the reports actually came out that this had in fact happened.)

Anyway, my real question is - regardless of whether the Snyder conversation took place - could this team ever be packed up and moved to another town? I think this franchise is too storied, too valuable, and too important to this area for it to ever be moved. Could things ever get so bad here, or could the owner ever possibly think he could have a stronger following (more revenue, less fan/media backlash) in another city?

Classic threat to stop fans from trying to do what we can to right a sinking ship!

Don't think it would be much leverage for him. He moves and the NFL would have another franchise in here pronto. To big a revenue stream for them to leave this market with no team.

The thread's been reported, but we had already seen it.

I see it as a valid topic. I personally don't think the team will move, but I don't see a reason not to discuss it or close the thread.

Cool. I was just under the impression the topic had already been beaten to death on several other occasions recently.

the Washington Redskins is a storied franchise and the league would never let such a move happen no matter how bad things got with Danny.

BUT...

if we lose the court case and are forced to change the name of the franchise to something else, anything can happen. The NFL won't be as pressed to keep, a franchise not named Redskins in DC if the owner wants to up and move it to a bigger media market. with the way we want to run Danny out of town and our luck as a franchise lately, it's sad but i can see this happening. our only hope is to somehow wrest ownership away from Danny Boy and into someone more competent.

Not anytime soon. I don't think there's anyway the NFL lets this happen in the next few years to a fanbase as loyal (and, more importantly, as lucrative) as the Redskins'.

Basically, I think it would take a decade of pitiful (not just mediocre) play on the field, increasingly acrimonious relations between the team and the fans, burning through that season tickets list, blackouts, and falling revenue. The fans would have to abandon the team. As bad as it is now, if the Redskins find a way to throw a couple of 11-5 or 12-4 seasons, a deep playoff run, a couple of franchise players, into the mix within the next decade, the area will continue to love the team and support them financially. But if it's just season after season of 4-12? Well, anything can happen. Baltimore probably never thought they'd lose their team, Cleveland probably didn't either.

When is the lease up on FedEx?

Well, the Browns were also storied, and behold now we have the Baltimore Ravens.

The Baltimore Colts were storied. The Houston Oilers were loved by their city, if not storied. The Vikings could move, even though they are storied.

Bottom line is, if you have some prick as the owner of a franchise, that prick could do what he wants. If he wants to move his property bad enough, he will find a way to do so. Los Angeles Dodgers, anyone?

btw, I don't think it will happen, but you never know. If snyder is stubborn enough, I could see it happening in a few seasons, especially if the lucrative fan base starts to jump ship in droves, and revenues dry up substantially.

Why would dan want to move, in dc he has a monopoly, in LA he would be competing againsty the 49ers and the raiders, there is too much money to be made here, and if he did move he would have no credibility at all, and after other teams have tried and failed in LA why leave a sure thing for a maybe, aqnd the name would have to change and to what the LA Warriors or something like that, the skins will never leave DC unless they are kicked out, and the only advantage is that Dan would get to host the SB once every 20 years or so, so we are straying put

GO REDSKINS VOTE 1 JON GRUDEN for HEADCOACH

Archived