Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could the Skins ever leave DC?

guinnesscrazy

It would be a great thing for the fans. We get rid of Snyder. That alone is worth a couple of years without football, provided we keep the name and colors like Cleveland did. And I'm sure DC would put together a new stadium to get football back.

So no more Snyder and no more FedEx FTW.

But, unfortunately, it's pretty unlikely. Nice fantasy scenario, though.

Best case scenario would be for Snyder to move the team to LA, and then we get an expansion team here in DC within a couple years. But it's not happening.

Then we'd be no better than those damn Ravens fans. I couldn't stomach it.

MAYBE if we pulled a Cleveland Browns and Snyder changed the team around in LA, and the expansion brought the Washington Redskins back. But still no. blah.

I believe there is a great chance, better than 65%, that the team moves out of Washington.

Why? After another 3-4 years of cellar-dwelling and embarrassment, I imagine someone will emerge and make their intentions of buying the team known.

When Snyder says no, the fans will push him out of the city. Then, the new Redskins will be created in DC.

Despite owning the stadium, Daniel Snyder does not own the land it is built on. The lease with PGC for the LAND expires in 2012. Ask anybody who has been on the DC city coucil in the 1990's; they will tell you this.

So guess what, Danny has to figure something out before 2012.

This is just not true.

Link please. :chair:

Then we'd be no better than those damn Ravens fans. I couldn't stomach it.

MAYBE if we pulled a Cleveland Browns and Snyder changed the team around in LA, and the expansion brought the Washington Redskins back. But still no. blah.

How would be like the Ravens? Baltimore stole the Browns from Cleveland. If we got an expansion team, who would we be stealing from?

My point is, we'd be better off with Snyder taking the team to LA, and then an expansion team called the Washington Redskins coming here.

I was surprised by this too. How can you own a stadium but lease the land? :wtf:

Not sure of the Skins situation, I thought they owned the land. But it's not unusual to lease land and build structures on it. An example is the company work for leases padsites for banks/restuarants/gas stations. We still own the land, but they build on it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2007/jan/12/20070112-125237-5424r/

I think this might help shed some light on the situation.

Going by this article Snyder owns the land the stadium is on.

Some early proposals call for the city to demolish RFK and offer the land at no cost, with Snyder building a new stadium using the proceeds of the sale of land at FedEx Field, which is considered very valuable.

Going by this article Snyder owns the land the stadium is on.

Agreed...but there is some kind of agreement between Snyder and everyone else that I think can cause some confusion.

"Team general counsel Dave Donovan said the Redskins are legally bound to FedEx Field until 2027 because of agreement between the team, the state of Maryland and Prince George's County, and said the team has expressed no interest in leaving the Landover facility at least until then."

I wonder what that agreement is...oh well.

On topic...I don't see the Skins leaving DC.

Agreed...but there is some kind of agreement between Snyder and everyone else that I think can cause some confusion.

"Team general counsel Dave Donovan said the Redskins are legally bound to FedEx Field until 2027 because of agreement between the team, the state of Maryland and Prince George's County, and said the team has expressed no interest in leaving the Landover facility at least until then."

I wonder what that agreement is...oh well.

On topic...I don't see the Skins leaving DC.

Probably some sort of penalty for breaking the lease. Maryland funded a lot of the road improvements and in return probably receive a large penalty if the stadium is vacated before a certain length of time.

Anyone WANTING the Redskins to move is crazy, imo. You don't have to look any further than Cleveland to see why you may not want your team to go away and be replaced by an expansion team.

As bad as things are now, I would be devastated if the Redskins moved.

Anyone WANTING the Redskins to move is crazy, imo. You don't have to look any further than Cleveland to see why you may not want your team to go away and be replaced by an expansion team.

As bad as things are now, I would be devastated if the Redskins moved.

Dan Snyder is a young man. Do you not understand how bleak the situation is here??

Well, the Browns were also storied, and behold now we have the Baltimore Ravens.

The Baltimore Colts were storied. The Houston Oilers were loved by their city, if not storied. The Vikings could move, even though they are storied.

Bottom line is, if you have some prick as the owner of a franchise, that prick could do what he wants. If he wants to move his property bad enough, he will find a way to do so. Los Angeles Dodgers, anyone?

btw, I don't think it will happen, but you never know. If snyder is stubborn enough, I could see it happening in a few seasons, especially if the lucrative fan base starts to jump ship in droves, and revenues dry up substantially.

Those teams left due to stadium issues...something we dont have.

Here's what you do.

Allow Dan to move the Washington Snyders to L.A. Leave the colors,records in D.C.

You then move the Jacksonville Jaguars into the NFC EAST and D.C. to become the new Washington Redskins or Washington whatever. The old Jags records are retired.

You then move either the Rams or Panthers into the AFC South.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or Dan can swap franchises with Wayne Weaver. Wayne becomes the new owner of the Washington Redskins. Dan becomes owner of the Jags and moves them to L.A. and renames them the Tom Cruises. Tom's pic of course would be on the helmets.

Dan Snyder is a young man. Do you not understand how bleak the situation is here??

I still say it's possible Snyder will acknowledge he needs to completely step away from operations. If that happens, and we get a good, tough GM who insists on working independently, then Snyder could actually be a favorable owner considering his penchant for spending money - when needed.

Archived