Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could the Skins ever leave DC?

guinnesscrazy

yeah....

kind of getting sick of this stuff. snyder will not sell the team unless you bankrupt him (which will take a long time), and he's not moving the team.

btw he owns the rights to the arena football league's expansion to th eDC area. he's staying for a while.

Uh, the Arena League has folded. There is no Arena Football League anymore. There are only fringe arena leagues that exist now (one of them plays in D.C. already at the Armory). That "expansion" right that Snyder had is about the same worth as one of those pennies that you put in the machine to make an imprint of the Capitol on it. Not much.

THe only thing keeping Snyder here are the REdskins and that house he built in Potomac where he cut all of those trees down because they blocked his view of the river.

Daniel Snyder is a brilliant businessman and would never leave DC! It would kill the current fanbase. How could you think that Danny would ever do anything to upset the fans that have given him so much money???

If he can make more money in L.A. he would move. It's all supply and demand. Plus if he moved he could be closer to the headquarters of the Church of Scientology. :D

Haven't you heard he is a true WASHINGTON Redskin fan? He wouldn't do anything to destroy that!!

If he were a true fan, he would have had one of his bodyguards give him an ass whooping for destroying the REdskins so badly. He's a fan of the almighty dollar. He gave up his Redskin fanhood when he signed Mark Carrier.

I don't see it happening as our team is still one of the most profitable sports franchises in the world let alone the league, but if there's another 10-15years of mediocrity and fans stop going to the games/buying merchandise I could see Snyder doing it if there was a big market like L.A where there would be less jaded fans.

I don't see it happening as our team is still one of the most profitable sports franchises in the world let alone the league, but if there's another 10-15years of mediocrity and fans stop going to the games/buying merchandise I could see Snyder doing it if there was a big market like L.A where there would be less jaded fans.

Thing is, if he waits that long he might miss his chance to go to L.A. If he is going to do it he is going to do it now.

Daniel Snyder is a brilliant businessman and would never leave DC! It would kill the current fanbase. How could you think that Danny would ever do anything to upset the fans that have given him so much money???

Haven't you heard he is a true WASHINGTON Redskin fan? He wouldn't do anything to destroy that!!

Okay, I can't keep a straight face through anymore of this.

I was just about to disagree with you, especially the first six words. I'm glad you saved me the trouble.

Lol, well it's "correct" only if all you care about is ownership increasing a team's value. There are other things in life (being a football fan comes to mind in this case). That they increased in value beyond what they would've had they stayed is questionable anyway, considering the fact Cleveland and Baltimore support NFL teams again.

It's also questionable in terms of how franchise removal devalues the whole concept of what it means to be a fan, the marketing of a team as being inherently linked to a city, etc. If it happens too often or too much, it could harm the value for the entire league.

The biggest enabler is indifference and apathy towards franchise removal by fans, in my opinion. How a city's "fans" can deliberately mount an effort to lure a team away from another city with a lucrative offer, and then support it as if it were their own is beyond me (vide the Rams). But the larger problem there is these kinds of "fans" are just making franchise removal a successful and potentially lucrative endeavor, more likely to happen in the future to other fans' teams Imo the Browns moved the right way, if there is such a thing, leaving the team name, logo, uniform colors to the city's fans. That way if a city really can't support a team, it won't be resurrected.

I totally agree. My thing is what are the people of the "receiving city" supposed to do...not go to the games and support the team since it's truly not their team (in the opinion of some)? For that matter, even the Redskins are technically Boston's team...

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'----George Santayana From his work; Life of Reason, Reason in Common Sense 1905

LA Rams, Oakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts

I , for one, have thought that this could be some sort of new "end game" for Snyder.

He is involved in the ownership of Dick Clark Productions, and is well documented in his love of "elbow rubbing.

This, to me, while painful to the highest degree, could result in the only feasible rescue of our football franchise. The name "Redskins" would be gone forever, but Snyder could secure new licensing and multitudes of new jersey sales for his empire with a new team.

This guy will never change and the results of his undermining of coaches' authority and disrespecting the fanbase will always be present, keeping the team from ever reaching the highest levels again.

Our only hope then would be that the Jaguars or the Rams pulled up their stakes and moved to DC, keeping things intact.

It seems like a real possibility to me...

How is it you have "www.Selltheteamdannyboy.com" as his sig.....but u think there is no way Snyder would move the team. Why sell and not move?
''

It's a form of protest, man. Actually check out the link.

Check out a book called Field of Schemes.

You'll realize that Pro sports are a business and finding tax payers to construct or update stadiums and arenas is a never ending task for team owners. Sometimes relocation is necessary to increase the value of the team. The fans and their feelings really don't matter to most owners if more revenue can be generated in another town.

As much as I have sympathy for the Bmore Colt fans, Cleveland or even Brooklyn in the 1950s, all of those owners made the correct decision to relocate as their franchises increased in value with new stadiums.

Cool.

There's no market better than Washington for this team. There's no debating that.

As much as I hate to say this, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen knowing that 1. we'd get rid of Danny, and 2. we'd immediately get an expansion franchise and be able to start from scratch in building a championship-caliber team here. If you look at expansion teams from the last 15 years, the Panthers, Jags, & Browns became competitive pretty quickly. If the right owner, GM, & coach were put in place, we'd have a competitive team that we could be proud of pretty fast, and the best part about it is we'd forever be rid of Danny.

Wouldn't mind it a bit. Take the team and get the **** outta here...and this is coming from a Skins fan.

Listen, Danny Boy owns an NFL franchise named the Washington Redskins. This is important because he DOES NOT own the Redskins, just the franchise. He is free to move his franchise anywhere he wants and I wish he would considering the "effed" up job he is doing now.

The Redskins name, history and records would stay intact when the league awards a new franchise to DC with a competent owner.

If we are fed up with the current regime, this may be the ONLY viable option.

Listen folks, if you LOVE this team as much as I do, these are the sacrifices we must be willing to take.

- Jockey

'There's no market better than Washington for this team. There's no debating that.

You're thinking with your emotions. Sure Washington is a top five market, but in 10 years FedEx will feel like its 30 years old. If LA is still w/ out a team in 2020, and they somehow finally come up w/ a plan for 2 billion in stadium financing, it could be a smart for move for Danny.

I'm not saying I think this team is in any real danger of leaving, I'm just ruling out the word NEVER.

History has proven that nearly any team can move when the climate calls for such. Market size, team history, and fan loyalty have little to do with it. Its usually a new stadium or arena that spawns relocation.

The Dodgers left Brooklyn after NYC denied Walter O'mally a public financing package to build the first dome stadium in the world in 1955.

Irsay left Baltimore in 84 when Indi had a free state of the art facility awaiting a team, which Baltimore did not.

Sure Modell could have hung on in old Cleveland Municipal Stadium for a few more years, but moving to Baltimore assured he'd have a state of the art facility in just 2 years.

You're thinking with your emotions. Sure Washington is a top five market, but in 10 years FedEx will feel like its 30 years old. If LA is still w/ out a team in 2020, and they somehow finally come up w/ a plan for 2 billion in stadium financing, it could be a smart for move for Danny.

I'm not saying I think this team is in any real danger of leaving, I'm just ruling out the word NEVER.

History has proven that nearly any team can move when the climate calls for such. Market size, team history, and fan loyalty have little to do with it. Its usually a new stadium or arena that spawns relocation.

The Dodgers left Brooklyn after NYC denied Walter O'mally a public financing package to build the first dome stadium in the world in 1955.

Irsay left Baltimore in 84 when Indi had a free state of the art facility awaiting a team, which Baltimore did not.

Sure Modell could have hung on in old Cleveland Municipal Stadium for a few more years, but moving to Baltimore assured he'd have a state of the art facility in just 2 years.

I'm definitely saying "never" because there's simply too much money here. There's no emotion.

In fact, I don't even know if I'd be opposed as long as we could make like the Browns and keep our records/name/history/etc.

In this morning's Wash Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/30/AR2009103001770.html

Never say never and those that are claiming that the 2 teams that played in LA left because of a lack of fan support, have no idea of what they are talking about.

I'm not sure if this will ever happen or talks could possibly be under way to let Snyder take the team to LA , with another team moving here in it's place, retaining the Redskins traditions and name.

The LA city council approved the funding and construction of a 75,000 seat stadium this past summer. They aren't building a stadium for concerts and an occasional football game or two, their objective is to get an NFL team in LA and they wouldn't spend millions of dollars on a stadium unless they were sure of getting one.

Will it be Snyder? Who knows, as there are many scenarios in which this could happen with him selling and buying an expansion team or moving the team to LA with Jacksonville, Buffalo or the San Diego teams moving here.

Anything is possible. Many of his interests are now in Hollywood and I wouldn't count out anything that might happen with this team as long as Danny Snyder is the owner.

I just read the Post article that Mark posted and it confirms what I have said with a few minor differences. The owner will finance the construction and wants 40% of team ownership. Doing this would still give Danny majority ownership and still be able to tinker with his toy, putting him in LA where the majority of his financial interests lie.

The plot thickens, stay tuned.

Did they vote for the Colts to leave Baltimore?

Well, nobody has mentioned this so far that I have noticed and it is a bit out there, but the NFL is really hot & wet to get to London.

I do not see the 'Skins leaving DC by the way, but LA vs London. It seems the NFL is a lot more interested in crossing the pond versus crossing the continent at the moment.

1) If any team moved to LA, it would be because some team like Jacksonville moved, not a team with an established fan base that's one of the strongest in the nation, in one of the largest metro areas in the country, and having the highest revenue.

2) LA has been a team killer. I can't see any possible scenarios where Dan (a Washington Redskins fan) would move a team that is making him a lot of money to a place where there is no guarantee he would make a profit.

People keep saying anything is possible. Well, yeah...like it's possible for us to reach 200 degrees in the middle of January. Sure it can happen, but pigs will have to learn to fly, hell would have to freeze over, etc. first.

There isn't one single reason why this move would make sense.

^

to go along with Johns' post, I think LA if it does get a team may be one of a couple expansion teams. One for LA, another for either London or some Canadian city.

Archived