Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dawgs Bark--Browns Fans are taking action (rebellion related) MET/multi-merged

afparent

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4605603

BEREA, Ohio -- Tired of seeing their beloved Browns lose, some Cleveland fans are fighting back.

Hoping to make a statement to protest the NFL team's abysmal record -- this season and since the team returned in 1999 -- some Browns backers are encouraging fans to walk in late to the Nov. 16 home game against Baltimore.

Two longtime season-ticket holders came up with the idea after last Sunday's 31-3 loss to Green Bay.

They are hoping the temporarily empty seats for a nationally televised Monday night game will send a message to owner Randy Lerner that they want a better product on the field.

The Browns are 1-6 this season and 55-113 since 1999.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Walk in late? What will that prove?

How about not walking in at all?

It's an embarassment to the owner on a national stage...

ITs something I have been toying around with for the Giants MNF game, although I was thinking about organizing it for the 2nd quarter, so it couldn't be blamed on traffic...

It's an embarassment to the owner on a national stage...

It'll just be blamed on a late arriving crowd which it not that unusual. A real message requires real commitment, like the old story about breakfast:

The chicken is involved, the pig is committed.

Empty seats for the entire game sends a message. There is n o way to spin that.

I'd like everyone who suggests not walking in at all, if they're not season ticket holders - since they feel so convicted - to donate money to a fund to help ease the loss of season ticket holders. Then it would be less like you asking people to throw their money away while you take no part in the action.

*Monte, maybe you are a season ticket holder, I don't know - but I'm sure 75% of the people who are writing this over and over again are not. So I don't intend to point it at you, but the group of people suggesting who definitely aren't season ticket holders.

I'd like everyone who suggests not walking in at all, if they're not season ticket holders - since they feel so convicted - to donate money to a fund to help ease the loss of season ticket holders. Then it would be less like you asking people to throw their money away while you take no part in the action.

*Monte, maybe you are a season ticket holder, I don't know - but I'm sure 75% of the people who are writing this over and over again are not. So I don't intend to point it at you, but the group of people suggesting who definitely aren't season ticket holders.

I am now an ex- season ticket holder, gave them up two seasons ago. I do know the costs associated, probably much more than most considering that my attendance required airline tickets, hotel rooms, etc.

With that said, only empty seats are going to send the message so many seem to want to send. It's not a matter of economics, the seats were paid for long ago. There are no additional financial facets to consider, no additional costs to incur.

It's a matter of feasibility. You aren't going to be able to stop people from going in at all. But if you can make it look like a ghost town for at least part of a national broadcast, the message is sent. Maybe not with as much impact, but it gets there nonetheless.

It's a matter of feasibility. You aren't going to be able to stop people from going in at all. But if you can make it look like a ghost town for at least part of a national broadcast, the message is sent. Maybe not with as much impact, but it gets there nonetheless.
Have you seen the stands at Fedex at kickoff? They are empty. Skins fans have apparently been trying this for years - just no one has noticed. Silly me...I've just been blaming traffic!

Two longtime season-ticket holders came up with the idea after last Sunday's 31-3 loss to Green Bay.

In other words, they have no credibility whatsoever. Put your money where your mouth is, or shut up. If you're unhappy with a business (and basically, that's what a football team is, a business), but you're still a loyal customer, then you're just a whiner or an idiot.

I am now an ex- season ticket holder, gave them up two seasons ago. I do know the costs associated, probably much more than most considering that my attendance required airline tickets, hotel rooms, etc.

With that said, only empty seats are going to send the message so many seem to want to send. It's not a matter of economics, the seats were paid for long ago. There are no additional financial facets to consider, no additional costs to incur.

Ex-season ticket holder, from out-of-town - yeah I'd say you know the costs... ouch.

What I hear from some others I know who go to games - and probably a big part of why I go as well - is that there is still a connection to when we were young (the people I'm talking about are at various stages in their 30s) and dreaming of having season tickets and going to the games. That, combined with spending time with friends at a scheduled event (which makes it fun almost regardless of the product) is why we choose to continue going.

I have to be honest, I had fun at the KC game. I would have had more fun at the Eagles game except I had a doctor's appointment early the next morning. I admit if the game was better I wouldn't have been thinking about the doctor's office... haha.

I have to admit to something else - I was pretty proud of the fans at the Eagles game, and not just because I was there (not at all) - because I expected to be sad by attendance. As many are saying, it would send a message to have an empty stadium. Isn't there a part of you, though, that appreciates the fact that fans show up to support a team that is in the dumps? Personally, I feel like this is an opportunity for fans to show if they're worth something. I totally get the logic of "sending a message to Snyder" and being a fan by doing that... but I also do have an appreciation for supporting the team even at this moment. Showing a loyalty to the Redskins as true family that you believe in and hope for, unconditionally. You can still disagree (and find ways to show that you disagree), but you probably can't walk out, even to send a message, if you think in those terms.

I think my personal reaction at not seeing nearly as many Eagles fans or empty seats as I expected was a bit of eye-opener for me. I also felt that Zorn spoke somewhat from the heart in his postgame comments when he was genuinely appreciative of fan support at the game (although he made a comment that he hoped it wasn't just because it was nationally televised; that fact did definitely create a big opportunity for spectacle).

*By the way, I appreciate that you didn't take my comment personally.

i agree. i find it funny how everyone's like 'how do you still go to games?', well, i paid for the seats back in februrary. Its a little late to decid enow, unless i don't mind losing the money...

Have you seen the stands at Fedex at kickoff? They are empty. Skins fans have apparently been trying this for years - just no one has noticed. Silly me...I've just been blaming traffic!

LOL, no kidding.

I wonder if the Browns fans actually think this will accomplish anything?

~Bang

Best idea for us would be FOR ALL OF US to wear shirts say.....

Danny and Vinny suck!!!!!!

That way either security doesn't let anyone in and the stadium is completely empty making Danny boy lose millions or we get our way and send him a message.

Either way we win and Danny loses.

Archived