Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which is worse? 2001 or 2009?

OrangeSkin

Be completely objective; don't pick '09 just because the wound is fresher. In 2001 up to week 5, we had scored a grand total of 30 points, and had allowed 144 to our opponents (including a 9-7 loss to woeful Dallas on Monday night). Jeff George was our QB until a week 2 shutout at Green Bay, when Tony Banks took over. By all accounts, it looked like the team had completely quit on the season; I remember there was talk of an 0-16 year.

You know the story on 2009 (through week 5): 73 points scored to 82 allowed; a miserable O-line; no quarterback, leadership, ownership. We suck. And of course, the 2-4 record against winless teams, which weighs heavily. The teams we played in 2001 weren't world-beaters, but they weren't completely pathetic up to the point that we played them.

Looking at both seasons in isolation, I'd have to say 2001 was worse with the Green Bay game being the low point. But having witnessed the past 8 years and their mismanagement--like the refusal to hire a competent GM--I'd say the feeling is overall more hopeless now. At that point we could still believe that firing Marty would give us a fresh start, but now we know there is no way to get rid of the real problem.

Any thoughts?

The simple fact that its been decade of this b.s. makes 2009 my choice. Plus, we just became the first team in NFL history (I know its been stated a million times in the media) to play our first 6 games against teams without a win.

Dans unwillingness to realize that his overall scheme in managing the front office is not working makes this season hard to swallow. 2009 will be, in my opinion, the most shameful season in modern Redskins history. And the media is going to just execerbate what the fanbase has already started in terms of Dan's scrutiny this year.

Don't really get the point of this thread, but I'd say 2001 was worse because we lost twice to Dallas in the middle of a horrible losing streak to the Cowboys. We could still conceivably sweep them in 2009. If we did, I would still consider it a pretty good year.

2009 hands down not even close. We are going into week 6 and we've already seen:

- Fans in FedEx literally boo a victory. They booed the team as it knelt to secure a win. I've never seen this happen in all my years watching this team.

- A stadium that looked half empty by the 4th quarter.

- Redskin tickets, and not terrible ones, for 20 bucks... going unsold. Another first time for me.

- Fans trying to unload tickets for a precious monday night DIVISION GAME because they are certain the team will lose and the place will be crawling with eagles fans.

I've never seen anything like this season with the redskins. I didn't even go into what has been done to Zorn, which is another first. He's been completely hung out to dry and humiliated by the front office.

This is easily the worst season I can remember as a redskins fan and I clearly remember the Norv years.

2001 was definately worse than 2009. no question. the redskins were outscored 67-3 in the first two weeks with jeff george. the redskins are losing to gargabe teams this season, but they have two wins at least. this season looks worse on the surface, but in 2001 the offense and defense were both playing as bad as you could possibly play. the redskins have a good defense this year which at least can keep them close.

I don't know about 2001 because we already know what happened and the team was able to be respectable. This team I am not sure that they will win another game. The expectations were also different. I don't think that people thought that the Marty team would be outstanding. I think most people thought that they would be good, but when they jettisoned George and had Tony Banks and Kent Graham playing QB, that wasn't exactly what I would call a ringing endorsement. This team last year went 8-8 and they were expected to improve based on the defense and the fact that we had the same offense two years in a row. I think that this might be worse only because we were expected to be better than this.

Heck in 2001 the fans fully expected a losing season. Marty had gutted the team to get the Cap under control and everyone was predicting a losing first season (and a bad one at that) the ultimate 8-8 record greatly exceeded just about everyones preseason expectations. Bottom-line is that 0-5 wasn't really unexpected in 2001, 2-4 in 2009 on the other hand has come as a shock.

week 3 of the skins 0-5 2001 start the redskins lost at home to the chiefs 45-13(6-14 isn't so bad i guess). the first two games were 30-3 and 37-0 losses. the redskins also lost to the 5-11 cowboys on MNF 9-7. that start was coming off the season where norv turner was fired with 3 games left. looking back that mess seemed like just as much if not far worse chaos than 2009. the way people are acting today though it seems A LOT worse now than it ever was.

I think it's MUCH worse now. Not just because of our record or how we are playing. Look at everything that's going on as a whole with this organization. The revolving door of coaches, fans getting sued, Danny selling tickets to the secondary market while there's a waiting list. All of this together makes this the worst year in my experience as a fan of this team, and that's been 30 years.

I feel like this season is the worst. I don't have the greatest memory but I don't remember ever having this much dysfunction OFF the field as well as on.

Players fighting, hiring consultants against the coaches will, ripping play calling from the coach, the coach naming next weeks starting QB then shortly after that said hired "consultant" said he'd prefer the backup QB for "his" first game, players calling out the front office, redskins legends arguing with the coach and calling out the front office, and now theres that article about Cooke coming forward saying how Snyder destroyed the reputation of the franchise, and gutted the organization

I think 2009 is much worse because in 2001, we had a solid reputable Coach who was not hindered with management interference. And that shows with the five game winning streak and the 8-8 finish. We won't see that this year. The writing is on the wall. We're looking at a 3-13 season.

2009 hands down not even close. We are going into week 6 and we've already seen:

- A stadium that looked half empty by the 4th quarter.

It looked half empty by the first quarter.
- Redskin tickets, and not terrible ones, for 20 bucks... going unsold. Another first time for me.

How about sec 427 (50 yard line) row 8 for $10/ticket?

Check this cached view of Redskins vs Chiefs on SH Sat nite:

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:eVO07q5XV30J:www.stubhub.com/washington-redskins-tickets/redskins-vs-chiefs-fedexfield-788650/+stubhub+redskins+chiefs+tickets&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

On the field, 2001. Both sides of the ball sucked. But it was hard to blame Snyder for what was going on......everyone had tired of Norv and Dan brought in a reputable head coach, and you could easily blame Marty for what was going on during the 0-5 start.

Today, the focus of ire clearly is Dan and Vinny.

That is absolutely unreal!

Don't know if this is the same but a couple of months ago I thought I found some deals like that for a concert and when I clicked on the tickets it actually would not let me buy them. I don't know if it is even possible to sell those tickets at that price once you factor in transaction and or shipping costs.

Archived