Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Predicto

Hey, Sherman, set the way-back machine for 1963! :laugh:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9BBNUJ80&show_article=1&catnum=0

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

Oct 15 04:00 PM US/Eastern

HAMMOND, La. (AP) - A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

Neither Bardwell nor the couple immediately returned phone calls from The Associated Press. But Bardwell told the Daily Star of Hammond that he was not a racist.

"I do ceremonies for black couples right here in my house," Bardwell said. "My main concern is for the children."

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"I don't do interracial marriages because I don't want to put children in a situation they didn't bring on themselves," Bardwell said. "In my heart, I feel the children will later suffer."

If he does an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Thirty-year-old Beth Humphrey and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Humphrey told the newspaper she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples.

"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzman. "The Supreme Court ruled as far back as 1963 that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

The ACLU was preparing a letter for the Louisiana Supreme Court, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and see if they can remove him from office, Schwartzman said.

"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzman said.

Amazing. And if you want some real laughs, read the comments about the story on that site.

Some highlights:

"Most likely a wigger woman. Damaged goods now"

"Wigger woman for sure!! Good for the judge! Interacial marriage...not good for NO ONE!!!"

"Good for the judge, there is an old saying about biracial BLACK BIRDS DO NOT MATE WITH ROBINS. And it should be true for black and whites, I will bet a hundred dollars that the dude is a heavy set black guy, and teh woman is even heavier and uglier"

"wigger trash is right. people, and blacks too, stay with your own race! blacks do not need to bring more crime and poverty to anymore whites. look what this idiot president has done to this country. blacks cannot and should not live in a normal society. am i racist? no, just telling it like it is. (would the white people please read this to the blacks, i dont have pictures for them)"

"I am sick of black "people.""

"Another monkey running thru the trailer park for a fat white wife! I also agree I am sick of black people!!! "

"Miscegenation is still taboo, still very uncommon, and still very very dangerous.... Many taboos can be viewed as "acceptable" and "normal" to the perverted mind. Someone who practices bestiality in their secluded home thinks its normal simply because they can get away with it every time."

Whoh.

Be interesting to see if he is required by law to perform the ceremony(being a public official,I would say yes)

I agree with him to a degree,interracial marriages do have additional obstacles

to each his own though.;)

added

AP is a bit deceptive on the title...they have a license issued by the state.

Be interesting to see if he is required by law to perform the ceremony(being a public official,I would say yes)

to each his own though.;)

added

AP is a bit deceptive on the title...they have a license issued by the state.

Better that they remove "public official" from his job description. Can his ass.

Like what? And where?

Texas?:evilg:

There are always those that do not accept interracial marriages(even black people)

Look at the fuss over whites adopting black kids...racists :evilg:

I technically qualify as a interracial marriage,but prefer my race to be American.;)

I do NOT agree with this guy's views!!!! But does he not have a right to his opinion and what he will and will not do? It's not like he has the power to prevent interracial marriage.

What is the difference between the justice of the peace, Priests/Pasters and Captains of ships IRT marriage???? I have no idea, but assume they all can decide for themselves if they will officiate a marriage?

What am I missing here? Don't they all have their own agenda?

I do NOT agree with this guy's views!!!! But does he not have a right to his opinion and what he will and will not do? It's not like he has the power to prevent interracial marriage.

What is the difference between the justice of the peace, Priests/Pasters and Captains of ships IRT marriage???? I have no idea, but assume they all can decide for themselves if they will officiate a marriage?

Not sure, but as a public official I would guess he's not allowed to discriminate because of his Jim Crow philosophy.

I do NOT agree with this guy's views!!!! But does he not have a right to his opinion and what he himself will and will not do? It's not like he has the power to prevent interracial marriage.

No. A justice of the peace is a state official, and is required to follow the laws in the performance of his official duties on behalf of the state. It's not the same as a pastor or ship's captain - they are private citizens.

Look at it this way - you may not be required to allow black people in your home, but a judge is not permitted to deny black people access to the courthouse. Private vs. Public.

No. A justice of the peace is a state official, and is required to follow the laws in the performance of his official duties on behalf of the state. It's not the same as a pastor or ship's captain - they are private citizens.

Look at it this way - you may not be required to allow black people in your home, but a judge is not permitted to deny black people access to the courthouse. Private vs. Public.

OK, but in VA when my daughter recently got married this year while shopping for a justice of the peace to marry her to her husband it seemed like those we contacted had differing requirements and price?

I am split on this. If that is how he feels, than he should not have to do it. On the other hand, if it is his duty to marry all that come his way than he should be punished.

What if it was a Jewish JP and he did not want to marry a Jew and a Christian? Would there be the same outcry?

just wondering, do you think this applies to all interracial marriages, or only certain ones: black/white vs white/asian vs .../... ?

just wondering, do you think this applies to all interracial marriages, or only certain ones: black/white vs white/asian vs .../... ?

All,and includes very different cultures as well as religion .

It adds problems,they are certainly not insurmountable,but it is best to go in a marriage with eyes wide open so any problems can be addressed together.

I don't oppose them,I just recognize conflicts that arise

Archived